Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,151 of 6,262
It doesn't have a TRRS jack? How does the N3 "support CITA standard headphones" (quote from the Cayin web page)?

Well, without having looked at the Cayin N3 web page, I had tried using this cable, which works to control Play/Pause & Volume on my Nexus 5 Android phone, and neither mode switch position allows any control of the N3 (Play/Pause or Volume) [ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wit...5-se425-se535-Se846-LN004900/32702459857.html ].

However, after reading your comment, I did try my VE Monk+ 3-Button Controller version (works with any CTIA terminated Android device ~ with Volume Control for all Android devices), and it did work for single button control. In other words - pressing any of the three buttons Once, will Play/Pause; pressing any of the three buttons Twice quickly, will Skip FWD to the next track; and pressing any of the three buttons Three times quickly, will Skip BACK to the previous track. But the Volume buttons do not control the volume [ https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=4 ].

I guess we need to hear from @Andykong or @CayinSupport to know whether there's a simple digital input (to read presses of a single button), or an ADC input channel (to be able to read the the varying resistances which create a voltage divider when used with multiple buttons).

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #3,152 of 6,262
Need some advice.

I saw a nice used Schiit Lyr amp. When i look on the Cayin website i see the possibility to stack on a DAC/Amp which looks a bit if it needs a separate DAC.??

My initial question can i use the N3 with 3.5 to RCA on the line in on the Lyr.... Or is it underrated for that amp? Do i need a better DAC?

Lyr's got some great power! You can feed the line out into the Lyr, you'll need a 3.5mm to dual RCA Male

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #3,153 of 6,262
The Line out from N3 does not by-pass the amplification circuit, so its is not a perfectly clean line out.

Hi fellas, im a little bit confused with this Line Out matter since the Headphonia review (http://www.headfonia.com/review-cayin-n3-the-master/3/) states it has only 0.5Vp-p as line out...that looks very low, it it only the Coaxial Line Out they are talking about ? And this other review (http://headfonics.com/2017/04/the-n3-by-cayin/3/) states " Line Out : Output level: 1.0 V at 10 K ohms" which looks normal.

Regarding to the quote, if the Line Out is at least 1.0 V at 10K ohms thats a real Line Out to me (i would like something closer to 2.0 V like Cd players), why call it fake just because its fed by the amplification circuit of the DAP ? If Headphonics numbers are right " THD+N: 0.03% (1 kHz, FS=44.1 kHz; 20 Hz–20 kHz, A-weighted) / Dynamic range: 108 dB (20 Hz–20 kHz, A-weighted) / SNR: 108 dB (20 Hz–20 kHz, A-weighted) " that is perfectly clean.

Im planning to use it as a source with bookshelf speakers and a SMSL SA-60 amp...will this work, or the line out level is too low ?? Has anyone tried the Cayin N3 with amps and speakers?? Yes im weird, planning on using it with speakers as opposed to 99% of headphone users lol

Jul 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,154 of 6,262
Hi fellas, im a little bit confused with this Line Out matter since the Headphonia review (http://www.headfonia.com/review-cayin-n3-the-master/3/) states it has only 0.5Vp-p as line out...that looks very low, it it only the Coaxial Line Out they are talking about ? And this other review (http://headfonics.com/2017/04/the-n3-by-cayin/3/) states " Line Out : Output level: 1.0 V at 10 K ohms" which looks normal.

Regarding to the quote, if the Line Out is at least 1.0 V at 10K ohms thats a real Line Out to me (i would like something closer to 2.0 V like Cd players), why call it fake just because its fed by the amplification circuit of the DAP ? If Headphonics numbers are right " THD+N: 0.03% (1 kHz, FS=44.1 kHz; 20 Hz–20 kHz, A-weighted) / Dynamic range: 108 dB (20 Hz–20 kHz, A-weighted) / SNR: 108 dB (20 Hz–20 kHz, A-weighted) " that is perfectly clean.

Im planning to use it as a source with bookshelf speakers and a SMSL SA-60 amp...will this work, or the line out level is too low ?? Has anyone tried the Cayin N3 with amps and speakers?? Yes im weird, planning on using it with speakers as opposed to 99% of headphone users lol

Weird??? You have to go a long way to be weird around here.

sheldon.jpg

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #3,155 of 6,262
How long have you pressed the power button before? Please hold the power button for 2s to have a try again. If it still doesn't work, you can use a nonmetallic pin (e.g.toothpick) to activate the reset button inside the reset hole to see what happens.

i've definitely held it down for at least 2 seconds and longer and still no response the majority of times. it will just cause the screen the flicker on and off. I will try the reset and see if it helps.

update: i've learned by pressing the power button twice as hard, it will register my presses and turn my N3 on and off, but the screen still flickers rapidly. not sure if that is normal or still a fault with my device

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #3,156 of 6,262
i've definitely held it down for at least 2 seconds and longer and still no response the majority of times. it will just cause the screen the flicker on and off. I will try the reset and see if it helps.

update: i've learned by pressing the power button twice as hard, it will register my presses and turn my N3 on and off, but the screen still flickers rapidly. not sure if that is normal or still a fault with my device

I had issues with the original F/W but not since I've updated.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #3,160 of 6,262
Jul 25, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #3,161 of 6,262
yeah at this point i know it's not a firmware thing. i'm currently on 2.0 and it's been the same issues since i first bought it day one

Certainly sounds like a switch issue

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,162 of 6,262
I may have to try something like that. Cutting that hole will be a pain.

I'm still surprised that Cayin doesn't sell N3 screen protectors in bulk to MusicTeck and other distributors.
with a cutter or folding in half the screen protector and cutting a semicircle with a pair of scissors, nothing too hard to handle (and the price will be cheaper than buying it from a reseller)

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,163 of 6,262
with a cutter or folding in half the screen protector and cutting a semicircle with a pair of scissors, nothing too hard to handle (and the price will be cheaper than buying it from a reseller)

I guess I just feel that replacement parts (which I consider these protectors to be...Cayin obviously anticipated scratches on the soft plastic screen) should be available for a current device. I shouldn't have to fabricate my own when factory protectors already exist. I suppose I'm in the minority on this.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #3,164 of 6,262
I guess I just feel that replacement parts (which I consider these protectors to be...Cayin obviously anticipated scratches on the soft plastic screen) should be available for a current device. I shouldn't have to fabricate my own when factory protectors already exist. I suppose I'm in the minority on this.

You are not alone.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3,165 of 6,262
you're totally right, it's just that i usually like the fastest (and cheapest solution) for that kind of problems, so if i can do it myself for 3€ i don't bother to look for a reseller :wink:
Cayin should have it as they give one free with any N3, it's just a matter of time i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back