Cambridge audio se1
Feb 29, 2016 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Proff1

New Head-Fier
Not really looking for advice but on returning to this forum after a while seems as though I can't post in certain places.

Anyone else picked up a pair of Cambridge audio se1 headphones?
Not read any reviews etc, presumably because they have just been released. Still, thought there would be a pre release review somewhere (admittedly I only searched for 10 minutes)

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/se1

Anyway, they look shiny and lots of big words are used to describe them!...... Any thoughts from anyone else?

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 38
I stumbled upon the SE1 looking for CA's new phono stages (CP1 & CP2).  I'm not a big fan of in-ears but I decided to support the cause (even though I am in the US not UK), National Foundation for Youth Music: http://www.youthmusic.org.uk/

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #4 of 38
Well I actully bought some and have been listening to them for a while. The packaging is very nice, with lots of spare tips included (even Comply foam ones) a nice pouch and very premium feel. Build is also good.
Sound quality wise they stand up well against the Sennheiser Momentum in-ears I had been using, but seem to fit better. They seem to have a slightly harder sound to them, but detail levels are very good and it's just on the right side of too bright. Maybe the drivers need running in a bit? Cost wise I'd say they would retail around the £80-£100 mark, rather than the £150-£200 they were quoting in the bumpf. In traditional Richer Sounds fashion they'll quote that a 'rrp' then sell them for less.
Anyway, I paid £30 for them and they were quite a bargain, and are now my in-ears of choice when not using my regular Harman on-ears.
Hope that helps if they ever release any more!

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 38
Do you know where I can buy Cambridge Audio SE 1? I search everywhere but can't seem to get a checkout button.
Old post above, but if anyone is still asking - they can be bought direct from Cambridge Audio's web site.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/se1

Price is currently £68, shipped in the UK - an absolute bargain.

I just bought a pair, currently listening to them plugged into my Onkyo DP-S1 player - well impressed for the price. As noted above, great packaging and a comprehensive set of buds. I'm not sure about the Comply ones - they take a bit of getting used to, although the isolation they achieve is excellent.

Feb 14, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 38
Feb 18, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 38
My SE1 arrived earlier this evening and I am impressed right out of the box using the medium silicone wide bore tips that were already on them. No need or desire to change them at the moment. Comfortable, no driver flex. I will let them burn in at my desk for a couple of days and use them when I am sitting here.

For several years I have been using a small pair of Cambridge Audio speakers at my computer desk ((with Yamaha YSTFSW050BL powered sub).

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 38
I reckon these little IEMs are a big surprise. I never expected much but they compete at a much higher level than their price suggests. Good to see the thread being activated again. I think there is a lot to be said for this unusual set of earphones made by a very credible company. Shocked at how good they are. After a long dormancy green shoots are beginning to rise.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 38
These SE1s are an amazing bargain. I am using them with Spiral Dots. I am finding they sound best with a bit of power and am amplifying them with my Fiio A5. It's nice to have a good set which can be worn cable down!

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 38
I reckon these little IEMs are a big surprise. I never expected much but they compete at a much higher level than their price suggests. Good to see the thread being activated again. I think there is a lot to be said for this unusual set of earphones made by a very credible company. Shocked at how good they are. After a long dormancy green shoots are beginning to rise.
These SE1s are an amazing bargain. I am using them with Spiral Dots. I am finding they sound best with a bit of power and am amplifying them with my Fiio A5. It's nice to have a good set which can be worn cable down!

Argg u guys are a bad influence! I was pretty happy to keep my wallet closed during this period of delays and uncertainties on AE due to the coronavirus.

Anyway how is the sound signature on the SE1? And how does it compare to some recent 2019 CHIFI releases?

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 38
Argg u guys are a bad influence! I was pretty happy to keep my wallet closed during this period of delays and uncertainties on AE due to the coronavirus.

Anyway how is the sound signature on the SE1? And how does it compare to some recent 2019 CHIFI releases?

Where are you located? Are you able to order one? I am not good at making the comparisons you are after but if you do a google search you will find some old reviews.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 38
Where are you located? Are you able to order one? I am not good at making the comparisons you are after but if you do a google search you will find some old reviews.

I'm located in Asia, it seems it doesn't ship here, oh well. But reviews look good, glad u guys are enjoying your set!! It looks like a set that should be competing with higher priced gear but is being sold at firesale prices now. Somewhat similar to the Semkarch CNT1 previously.

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #15 of 38
I'm located in Asia, it seems it doesn't ship here, oh well. But reviews look good, glad u guys are enjoying your set!! It looks like a set that should be competing with higher priced gear but is being sold at firesale prices now. Somewhat similar to the Semkarch CNT1 previously.
There are some on eBay admittedly at a higher price, but they may ship to your location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back