Buying First Headphones for EDM
Jan 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kamaro

New Head-Fier
Hey, I am fairly new to this site, and I am just looking for some great reviews from you audiophiles!

I am looking for over the ear headphones. The type of music I listen to is 95% EDM. Mostly progressive house, electro, tech house and lots of vocal/uplifting trance. My budget is $250 but I am willing to go $300 if the value is worth it. For the past couple days, I have been looking at brands like Ultrasone, Sennheiser, and Beyer.

I don't plan on using an amp, and most of my listening will be done at home or on the road/travel. I was thinking of going with a closed headphone as opposed to open just for the noise isolation (correct me if I'm wrong). This isn't a huge concern to me but it would be nice. It would also be nice to get a bit of stylish headphones (I like the wood/bamboo accents/finishes). I like the look of HD 598 but i heard bass is low. I need good bass as well as good vocal sounds.

Things I am looking for in order of most important
1. Absolute best sound quality for the money (good bass and vocal sounds and detail for tech house) - EDM
2. Needs to be withing budget of $200-$300
3. Style of headphones
4. Closed headphones

Sorry if I'm asking for a lot; this is my first post. I am open to any suggestions, reviews, and other brands.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 10
Heya,

EDM, bassy, but good mids for vocals, closed back, no amplifier... check. Style is up to you, you didn't even describe what kind of style you're ok with. So that's going to be ignored for now until you give us a clue.

Immediately these come to mind:

AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone HFI 580
Ultrasone PRO 750
AKG K167 or K267
Beyer Custom One Pro (vocals will be a little distant though)
Denon D600 (used)

And further:

Beyer DT770 PRO 80ohm (with a small Fiio E6 amplifier for $20)
Mr Speakers Mad Dogs (with small amplifier like Fiio E11 or JDS Labs CMOY)

Very best,

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #3 of 10
Hey MalVeauX,

Thanks for the reply. I took a look at all the headphones you recommended and decided to stick to HFI 580 due to the most relevant and positive feedback. I then took a look at HFI 780 and HFI 2400. From the reviews for those, I feel like I should just go with HFI 2400 only because it is better than 580 and still within budget. My question is, is the 2400 worth the extra $$.

Also wondered if you have had any personal experience with the HFI's and how you felt the phones were in terms of usability and how relevant it is to me.

Lastly I wanted to know if Sennheiser offers anything just as good or better quality wise as the Ultrasone HFI's. I took a look at some but reviews said some lack bass.

If there is any other headphones that can compare to the HFI 2400 or better for the way I will be using it, please let me know. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. I don't mind capping at $300

Thanks again

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 10
You can try Denon D2000/5000s, only because you mentioned a wooden finish. I am not a fan of the sound to be honest. Ultrasones are ok too. Do you want big boomy bass? Or tighter bass? What are your thoughts about in ear monitors?

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 10
Hey Eugguy,

I'm taking a look at the Denon D2000/5000s as we speak. Thank you for showing a pair with wood accents. The only reason I liked this is because the Sennheiser HD 598 look super cool and classy, although this isn't my main concern. Correct me if I'm wrong but the price of both Denon's are above $300 so I probably won't be choosing that.

In terms of what I listen to, I guess I'm looking for "big" but still clear bass. I want a headphone that will pick up a lot of the sounds and quality in songs. If you want examples of artists I may listen to, they are:
Gareth Emery, W&W, Daft Punk, Markus Schulz, Richie Hawtin, Above and Beyond, Avicii. Just look up a couple of songs by them (W&W - lift off, Sied van Riel - Carved by you hands, and Ummet Ozcan - Reboot). If you think Ultrasone HFI 2400 is the way to go for this, then by all mean but post is still open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 10
I listen to a lot of EDM ... recently I got my hands on Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (80ohm)  and Audio Technica ATH-M50. I also own the Sony MDR-7506s. The Beyerdynamics can sound good depending on the track but they can be muddy, especially for faster trance. I would say the ATH-M50s are not bad, although the mids are slightly recessed, the sound however sounds like its been put through a limiter, giving most music that radio type of wet sound, that is sort of hyped and bubbly. This can sound good with certain EDM songs, the reverb really comes out on most songs because of the compressed sound, its more of in your face than the beyers. The sound stage and separation is best on the Beyers but as I mentioned it doesn't do well with fast bass lines and can get muddy putting vocals in the background (depending on how busy and prominent the bassline is), more so than the ATH-M50s.  If the ATH-M50s didn't have as recessed mids, they would be a really good headphone. I am waiting on SRH-840s to come in, I will let you know if those fare any better as I've heard they are similar to the ATH-M50s but with better mids and slightly less bass (at least artificial bass).

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Hey Eugguy,

I'm taking a look at the Denon D2000/5000s as we speak. Thank you for showing a pair with wood accents. The only reason I liked this is because the Sennheiser HD 598 look super cool and classy, although this isn't my main concern. Correct me if I'm wrong but the price of both Denon's are above $300 so I probably won't be choosing that.

In terms of what I listen to, I guess I'm looking for "big" but still clear bass. I want a headphone that will pick up a lot of the sounds and quality in songs. If you want examples of artists I may listen to, they are:
Gareth Emery, W&W, Daft Punk, Markus Schulz, Richie Hawtin, Above and Beyond, Avicii. Just look up a couple of songs by them (W&W - lift off, Sied van Riel - Carved by you hands, and Ummet Ozcan - Reboot). If you think Ultrasone HFI 2400 is the way to go for this, then by all mean but post is still open to suggestions.

Thanks!

I'm in the same situation..
I'm deciding between whether to go closed back (Pro 750) or open (HFI 2400).
I'm leaning more towards the 2400 because I'm only using these at home and have good bass, but I also want the 750s because closed have more bass.
I also listen to all the same artists/songs too haha

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 10
Ultrasones in general are awesome for EDM, I was just listening to some on my Pro 900. HFI series are also very good, that's what I used previous to this set. HFI-580 would be right up your alley, I bought those for a friend's Christmas present and she is in heaven. I've also heard good things about the Pro 550.

Disclaimer: I do prefer a closed-back for my specific situation, ymmv.

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Hey MalVeauX,

Thanks for the reply. I took a look at all the headphones you recommended and decided to stick to HFI 580 due to the most relevant and positive feedback. I then took a look at HFI 780 and HFI 2400. From the reviews for those, I feel like I should just go with HFI 2400 only because it is better than 580 and still within budget. My question is, is the 2400 worth the extra $$.

Also wondered if you have had any personal experience with the HFI's and how you felt the phones were in terms of usability and how relevant it is to me.

Lastly I wanted to know if Sennheiser offers anything just as good or better quality wise as the Ultrasone HFI's. I took a look at some but reviews said some lack bass.

If there is any other headphones that can compare to the HFI 2400 or better for the way I will be using it, please let me know. I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. I don't mind capping at $300

Thanks again

Heya,

The HFI2400 is 70ohm and will benefit from amplification. You wanted "no amp" so I would not get the HFI 2400 if you are not willing to add in something to power it properly. The HFI780 is balanced, the HFI580 is more bassy. For what you described, I would go for the HFI580. It's very practical and a staple headphone for electronic music go-to.

Sennheiser doesn't make anything that I would recommend for your needs except maybe the new Momentum. Even then, I would get a Beyer or Ultrasone for what you're looking for basically.

I would go HFI 580. It's currently price gouged for some reason. Give if a few days, it's usually only $120 on Amazon. It spiked due to holidays. It will drop again.

Very best,

Jan 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I would go HFI 580. It's currently price gouged for some reason. Give if a few days, it's usually only $120 on Amazon. It spiked due to holidays. It will drop again.

Or wait for B&H to get back in stock. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547239-REG/Ultrasone_HFI_580_HFI_580_Closed_Back_Stereo_Headphones.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back