Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Apr 23, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #6,586 of 6,668
Are you 100% positive? I thought i saw a flowchart somewhere showing all the modules between input & output, DAC, filters, etc and no dedicated amp section...i could be wrong.

SDBiotek,

You were right and i was wrong. I found the chart i was referring to, it's from the Headphone Zone website and indeed the schematic shows an amplification stage following the dual DACs.
So basically the absence of a true line out means double-amping when connecting to an external amp.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #6,587 of 6,668
"Double amping" is not evil incarnate, despite the many posts from folks complaining about it.We're all free to choose to use an external amp, or not. When I just want simplicity, I use my AK 100 II to directly drive my iems or headphones. Otherwise, I'll hook it up to an external amp for variety.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #6,588 of 6,668
"Double amping" is not evil incarnate, despite the many posts from folks complaining about it.We're all free to choose to use an external amp, or not. When I just want simplicity, I use my AK 100 II to directly drive my iems or headphones. Otherwise, I'll hook it up to an external amp for variety.

Yeah, i use the CDM and i must say the expanded soundstage and separation is quite enjoyable on some tracks, especially mids focused instruments. Sax & trumpets get some extra fat!

May 4, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #6,589 of 6,668

It really is not. I triple amp going from AK100ii (max volume, 'pseudo line-out') to Oppo HA2 (volume at 2, high gain) to my '99 Honda Accord stock stereo, and it sounds marvelous, as close to live as it can get.

May 9, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #6,590 of 6,668
Anyone found a 2.5mm TRRS female to TRS 3.5mm male to use as an "adapter" for regular ole stereo sockets?

I need to opposite of this adaptor - 2.5mm TRRS male to 3.5mm TRS female adapter. This would enable me to use a Linum Super BAX cable which currently is only supplied with a 3.5mm plug. But the adaptor would convert the Linum connection to a 2.5mm TRRS plug so I can connect to my Pioneer XDP-300R DAP in balanced mode. Is this possible, and does such an adaptor even exist? I've had a look around the forums here, and the web in general, without much luck. Thanks in advance for any replies.

May 9, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #6,591 of 6,668
I need to opposite of this adaptor - 2.5mm TRRS male to 3.5mm TRS female adapter. This would enable me to use a Linum Super BAX cable which currently is only supplied with a 3.5mm plug. But the adaptor would convert the Linum connection to a 2.5mm TRRS plug so I can connect to my Pioneer XDP-300R DAP in balanced mode. Is this possible, and does such an adaptor even exist? I've had a look around the forums here, and the web in general, without much luck. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Such adaptor is not suitable. And dangerous for the amp section.
If your super Bax is supplied with 3.5TRS use it in SE plug as it is designed for.

You can only use adaptors that convert balanced headphone to single ended. Basically it is what the splitter does in every "ole school stereo plug" as single ended plug.

May 9, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #6,592 of 6,668
Such adaptor is not suitable. And dangerous for the amp section.
If your super Bax is supplied with 3.5TRS use it in SE plug as it is designed for.

You can only use adaptors that convert balanced headphone to single ended. Basically it is what the splitter does in every "ole school stereo plug" as single ended plug.

Thanks for the input. So ultimately, if I want to use a Linum Super BAX on my Pioneer DAP - in balanced mode, I would have to have a 2.5mm TRRS terminated cable, and there is no other way?

May 10, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #6,596 of 6,668
It looked like that was the case. Do you know of any good quality IEM cables with MMX connectors, and a 2.5mm TRRS termination?

Thanks again for your advice: much appreciated.

The ALO Reference8 is one of my favorites.

May 10, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #6,599 of 6,668
The ALO Reference8 is one of my favorites.
Looking around online, this cable certainly reads very well, and sounds like the kind of cable I'm looking for. The stock Westone cable is fine btw, but I'm looking to squeeze out every last drop of detail from these fantastic IEMs. I'm assuming that considering Westone provide an ALO cable with the W80s, that ALO cables are a good partner for Westone IEMs? That is my only concern really - how well the cable and my UMPRO 50s will partner up. I live in London, UK, so it's not as though I can demo these together. I checked on ALO's site and couldn't find any dealerships.

May 10, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #6,600 of 6,668

Users who are viewing this thread

Back