Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Jul 25, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #46 of 1,463
Jul 25, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #47 of 1,463
:)

We haven't updated in awhile as things have slightly changed on how we are going to produce these two models. Although we would have loved to have continued to pursue making the housings in metal via CNC the shape and structure pretty much ruled out any cost effective CNC option. Even going the route of metal injection mold the cost was just prohibitive and there was no guarantee we would get the results we wanted.

We were about to go back to the drawing board and go for a more traditional, easier CNC machined design, when we choose instead to invest in very high resolution 3D printer, machines which can churn out prints that are 1:1 like anything made in a plastic injection mold, expect they are able to make our intricate shapes and and less restriction in design (nor imagination).

Although the 3D printing option was new, the idea that we would make these two models in house rather than use a contract manufacturer is still staying true. Our new workshop is kitted out and running, these two models and many to come in the future will be made in house, this allows us to control the quality far, far better.

My enthusiasm took a big dip after this. I would have loved to see these in metal.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #48 of 1,463
Aug 1, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #49 of 1,463
My enthusiasm took a big dip after this. I would have loved to see these in metal.

Unfortunately in metal we just can't get that organic shape which offers a lot of comfort. If we went with metal, it would probably need a total redesign and look more blockly and have 0 organic form to it.

As a tease below is the B400 in what we call 'Stay Frosty' transparent shell, the final shells will be a bit smoother and less noticeable striations, pictured also is our new 'candy cane' detachable cable (1 of the 4 new cables we are working on).

B400-Frosty.JPG

I think a lot of you are gonna really enjoy how these sound :)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #51 of 1,463
Metal won't do a thing for the sound and when was the last time you broke a 'quality' plastic shell. They look SOOO much better than the metal protos and are lighter as well. If they gets these to people at Brainwavz' usual value pricing, what's not to like? Would love to see a hybrid cable with an all copper plus all silver conductor per channel. I bet Brainwavz could do it for close to a $100 and sell loads of something that acclimates to many needs and situations.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #53 of 1,463
Cable looks great and the frost is nicer to me than clear or some glossy colors which are what most others are doing. Reminds me of the last one I had that was frosted, an Aurisonics ASG model, which had a premium look and feel.

Aug 1, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #54 of 1,463
Unfortunately in metal we just can't get that organic shape which offers a lot of comfort. If we went with metal, it would probably need a total redesign and look more blockly and have 0 organic form to it.

As a tease below is the B400 in what we call 'Stay Frosty' transparent shell, the final shells will be a bit smoother and less noticeable striations, pictured also is our new 'candy cane' detachable cable (1 of the 4 new cables we are working on).

I think a lot of you are gonna really enjoy how these sound :)

They look great, I love the frost look, really looking forward to their release.

Aug 2, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #55 of 1,463
@razzer001

I like that the cable has built-in coloured side indicators. :)

Wouldn't say the "Frosty" transparent shells look that premium though. What other colours do you plan to release?

I would probably say that's down to my not-so-great photography skills than the shells actually not looking as good as they do in real life. The ability to see in the internals and the frosty finish adds a nice level of contrast and depth to the housing giving it a more interesting look than just plain transparent or a solid color finish.

Our plan is to also offer the model in Onyx, down the road we may release more colors, but for now we will will start with Frosty and Onyx.

The cable has Red and Blue cable indicators for left and right. The release version of our Candy Cane cable will be use MMCX connectors and a 2.5mm balanced plug, the cable itself isn't very stiff, light weight, on the low side for microphonics and will be assembled in Taiwan, more details on the cable soon.

Metal won't do a thing for the sound and when was the last time you broke a 'quality' plastic shell. They look SOOO much better than the metal protos and are lighter as well. If they gets these to people at Brainwavz' usual value pricing, what's not to like? Would love to see a hybrid cable with an all copper plus all silver conductor per channel. I bet Brainwavz could do it for close to a $100 and sell loads of something that acclimates to many needs and situations.

The plastic shells really do look nice, people are really going to like them, but more importantly are the shapes we can build with them, there has been a big restriction in design, in general with earphones, due to limits on what molds can do and the sheer cost with producing complex shapes, with 3D printing the sky is the limit with no cost barrier.

A FR measurement would be great :ksc75smile:

Maybe in due time, but i am quite certain measurements will be made by the community at large once the B400 are available :)

Sep 7, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #58 of 1,463
We've been busy perfecting our B400, we will soon open a reviewer tour for these beauties, stay tuned for that. In the mean time here is our girl in crimson red.

Looking good - loving the color!

Sep 7, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #60 of 1,463
Yes! That red is very fetching :) as is the cosmic blue I just saw...
21433307_878270688993103_1214860705451212800_n.jpg

Nice update on the colors!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back