Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
May 31, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,247 of 2,022
I just received an email from B&W apologising and saying it has taking longer than anticipated to create the cable. The new release date is now OCTOBER 2017!

By way of compensation they have offered me 1 year free sub to the Sound Society.

May 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #1,248 of 2,022
Just got an email... a long wait then!!!!

"We are emailing you regarding your purchase of the Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature headphones.

When we launched the P9 Signature in October 2016, Apple announced the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack from all future iPhone models. We would like to give you an update on the Lightning cable we had planned to provide earlier in the year.

By virtue of the way it works, a Lightning cable is a critical component in the signal path and not just a piece of wire. It has taken us far longer than we anticipated to produce a solution which meets our exacting acoustic standards. We are now in the final stages of producing a cable which does meet this standard. We will release the cable in October 2017 and we're pleased to confirm you will receive one with our compliments as promised.

We’re sorry you’ve had to wait. By way of apology, we would like to give you a year’s free membership to Society of Sound. Please use the code XXXXXXXXXX to redeem your membership."

May 31, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,249 of 2,022
Well - I was told back in January (by their technical support line) that the cable was in final testing stages with the engineers and would be released April/May.

Maybe it is "back to the drawing board" - or perhaps they are taking into account some of the online feedback they are reading re performance and will use the cable as a way to tweak the sound.

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #1,250 of 2,022
After the rewire job on my P7's to balanced and acquiring a pair of new P9's for a discount price i thought after a bit of thinking I'd have a go to see if these can be done as well, especially as the improvement on the 7's with my WM1Z in balanced is superb. Not sure if anyone's cracked these open yet I know a few people have mentioned it .... so here goes.
Under the cup are six screws (cable side) you can feel for them with your finger , forget the dents at North South East West as they are magnets, 5 are easy to locate but the sixth is at the very bottom at the cable grip part ( the plastic cable grip) once all out gently prise the cup open with a easy prise tool or the like so not to damage the leather. Once open it's the same insides as the P7's with the L+/- R+/- soldered and marked to the little pcb. Basically remove the female plug and solder a new set of cables to the corresponding wires I'm using a 3mm quad core cable as it fits in the recess nicely. Pictures so far show it open I will post more as I progress through the process ( i actually have to do a bit of work from time to time here so I'll break off for now ).

Right next stage the easy part, make a note of the terminations L+/- R+/- as to which wire goes where then de solder the wires from the headphones, feed enough cable through the cup bend to give yourself a bit to play with and solder the 2 left wires to the speaker direct, add a bit of thin heat shrink to the right 2 cables so the solder joints don't short out when you solder together once this was done I added rtv clear over all terminations as I used a higher graded silver solder we have at work for satellite work which can go a bit grey / oxidize over time and this just protects it well, but any solder will do I'm just a bit of a perfectionist . I did think about pulling it to pieces and re terminating both sides fully and even thought about having a separate termination to each individual cup but I'm a bit lazy and didn't see any real benefit to rip them complete open, plus I think there is more glue than screws in the band part so probably best not to ruin the neatness of the P9. Next stage will have to wait for a bit as I'm waiting on a new batch of 4.4mm plugs, but you get the idea and here's the latest

Attachments

• 20170605_071333.jpg
    20170605_071333.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170605_070711.jpg
    20170605_070711.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170605_070703.jpg
    20170605_070703.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170605_070655.jpg
    20170605_070655.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170605_071341.jpg
    20170605_071341.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 5, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,251 of 2,022
Just got an email... a long wait then!!!!

"We are emailing you regarding your purchase of the Bowers & Wilkins P9 Signature headphones.

When we launched the P9 Signature in October 2016, Apple announced the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack from all future iPhone models. We would like to give you an update on the Lightning cable we had planned to provide earlier in the year.

By virtue of the way it works, a Lightning cable is a critical component in the signal path and not just a piece of wire. It has taken us far longer than we anticipated to produce a solution which meets our exacting acoustic standards. We are now in the final stages of producing a cable which does meet this standard. We will release the cable in October 2017 and we're pleased to confirm you will receive one with our compliments as promised.

We’re sorry you’ve had to wait. By way of apology, we would like to give you a year’s free membership to Society of Sound. Please use the code XXXXXXXXXX to redeem your membership."

Did the same and got a free year as well nice touch!

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #1,252 of 2,022
Right next stage the easy part, make a note of the terminations L+/- R+/- as to which wire goes where then de solder the wires from the headphones, feed enough cable through the cup bend to give yourself a bit to play with and solder the 2 left wires to the speaker direct, add a bit of thin heat shrink to the right 2 cables so the solder joints don't short out when you solder together once this was done I added rtv clear over all terminations as I used a higher graded silver solder we have at work for satellite work which can go a bit grey / oxidize over time and this just protects it well, but any solder will do I'm just a bit of a perfectionist . I did think about pulling it to pieces and re terminating both sides fully and even thought about having a separate termination to each individual cup but I'm a bit lazy and didn't see any real benefit to rip them complete open, plus I think there is more glue than screws in the band part so probably best not to ruin the neatness of the P9. Next stage will have to wait for a bit as I'm waiting on a new batch of 4.4mm plugs, but you get the idea.

Going to finish up now without adding the plug as I've another week before I get some and if you've got this far a balanced plug be it xlr, 4.4mm or 2.5mm is not going to need any instructions as you've made a note of the wires from the headphones and the wiring of the 2.5mm is different to the 4.4mm anyway.
So carefully put the speaker cup back into the shell making sure not to trap the wires near the screw holes, push together firmly and replace all screws leaving out the last one on the cable grip if your going to add paracord. How you finish the cable is up to you but I've added a piece of heat shrink at the top and a bigger piece slightly over that and while it was warm pushed into channel to hold it in place , it's not particularly neat but I've left it slightly open in case I need to go back into it and then I can clip it off rather than cutting the cable and the pads going over it so it's not going be seen anyway
Finally i added the paracord sleeve and a piece of shrink to secure it to the cable and pushed it the clip area and screwed the final piece in. All done and ready to add whatever termination you want, I just checked the wires with a meter to make sure all connections still ok and nothing shorting etc.

Attachments

• 20170605_223705.jpg
    20170605_223705.jpg
  • 20170605_223937.jpg
    20170605_223937.jpg
  • 20170606_072448.jpg
    20170606_072448.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170606_073656.jpg
    20170606_073656.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,253 of 2,022
Just picked up a pair of these a week ago, and, I must say, I'm very impressed. I've done a few comparisons of the same tracks from the P9 and my go-to HE-400i's, and I've found the former to have significantly better detailing, and separation. Bass is certainly strong, but it doesn't overpower the other instruments, nor the vocals, in any of the songs I've tested. My preferences are probably different than many on here, but they're a mix of older (circa 1970s) pop music, and modern (post-2000) rock.

I won't deny I've had a few moments where I've seriously wondered if they were worth the price tag, but it doesn't take more than a few minutes listening to them to remind me why they were. My only real complaint is the clamping pressure, and weight, which I assume either I'll adjust to, or the headphones will adjust to me.

EDIT:

Headaches getting worse, to the point of needing painkillers, even after a brief session (1-2 hours). I'll give them a week and see if it improves. Sound is still excellent, but I'm finding them to be very uncomfortable to actually wear.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #1,256 of 2,022
I'd be interested in looking into these in the future when I have more funds, but comfort is really important to me and it sounds like these are very uncomfortable for many people. At best, they seem just comfortable enough. Has anyone been able to mod them to make them more comfortable? Are the pads replaceable?

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #1,257 of 2,022
I'd be interested in looking into these in the future when I have more funds, but comfort is really important to me and it sounds like these are very uncomfortable for many people. At best, they seem just comfortable enough. Has anyone been able to mod them to make them more comfortable? Are the pads replaceable?

What's bad for one person may be good for another.
I have many headphones that are ridiculously comfortable, from the HD800, MDR-Z7, several beyers, etc, and although the pads on the P9's feel very, very firm (as in not soft at all!) from day one they have been perfectly comfortable for me. I don't know how they did it, but they did indeed acccomplish many remarkable things with the P9, comfort (for me) being one of them.
Whenever I tried the P7 I found it at best a little uncomfortable. P9's are on a wholly other level. In everything.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,259 of 2,022
What's bad for one person may be good for another.
I have many headphones that are ridiculously comfortable, from the HD800, MDR-Z7, several beyers, etc, and although the pads on the P9's feel very, very firm (as in not soft at all!) from day one they have been perfectly comfortable for me. I don't know how they did it, but they did indeed acccomplish many remarkable things with the P9, comfort (for me) being one of them.
Whenever I tried the P7 I found it at best a little uncomfortable. P9's are on a wholly other level. In everything.

I can only agree. To me comfort is definitely not an issue with the P9's

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #1,260 of 2,022
I'm another happy P9 user and comfort is definitely on the bottom of the wishlist for things they could improve on. They're still comfortable as hell after listening to them for hours. But like others have said, everyone is different and certainly test them before you buy.
The clamping force did seem to go down a little during the first month of use. It was never really a problem and now they're ultra comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back