Bose QC35 vs. Bowers & Wilkins P7 (wireless!)
Sep 18, 2016 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

synthgirl

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I was finally ready to get my first pair of headphones with more quality. I do want them to be wireless as well.

I just got the QC35 but I'm a little disappointed with the sound quality. In the beginning, the NC eardrum pressure almost killed me too. I guess I am one of the sensitive ones. Surprisingly after 5 days using it, it seems I got used to it, it improved a lot and my ears at least stop hurting.

Now I am paying more attention to the sound quality itself... and I am not sure it's that great. I've been reading here and it seems Bose is not for people who can tell the difference... meaning not for audiophiles. I am not sure I can call myself one, but I feel I can tell NC kills the liveliness of music. Am I right? I also tried the other wireless Bose with no NC and it's a little better and I thought about getting it.

So I tried Bowers & Wilkins P7 today... and it does sound richer and more lively... it makes me want to dance more than Bose one does. It's still not perfect but it does feel more lively. It's almost like I can hear more notes and more instruments...

For the record I do like bass, and I do like Bose design a lot. B&W had worse design and it's less comfy in my opinion. I live in a large city and will be using it a lot on commuting etc.

Turns out though I'm not a big fan of NC... I am much more for sound quality than NC.

I like a lot of synth and minimal music, as well as tons of 80s songs, dark music, industrial but also old jazz and more cheesy stuff.

I have 5 days to decide if I'm returning Bose, and have to figure out what to get instead if so. Any suggestions? Please please I need to decide as I am traveling in 5 days too.

Sep 19, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 64
Really it comes down to what you like. In 5 days unless you have Amazon prime and can get 2 day shipping, you are limited to what is nearby. If you prefer the p7, go for it! If they still don't please you there are plenty of wireless headphones out there, but I'm afraid the only ones I've done research on are the wireless headphones with NC, so all of my suggestions will have NC.
There is the Sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless which has a slightly v-shaped sound signature that are an overall favorite for best wireless NC headphones. One thing over read about the momentum though is that the earcups are small and may not be comfortable for people with larger ears.
There is the definitive technology symphony 1 that may top the momentums in overall sound quality having a more neutral sound signature that I've seen some call a bit bass centered. The reveiws all seem to point towards them having amazing SQ so they may be something to look into.
There are others, beats studio wireless (which I own), parrot zik, Samsung level over, but those two seem to be top two on the list of Bluetooth SC headphones and may be worth looking at. The cheapest option AFAIK is the studio wireless at about $250, but most on head-fi would not reccomend them (although I encourage you to give them a listen if you can. They have a very fun sound signature).

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 64
Thank you for your comment PL4Y3R 0N3.

What I care most about is sound quality. I want to hear the most details and vitality possible within my price range (around $300 to $500ish). As long as I stay within that range, price is not a concern to me.

NC is not important to me at all. In fact, since I started to get more into this, I realize NC affects sound quality in a bad way. If that's true, I'd prefer to not have NC (although I do travel quite a lot).

Anyone has other options, or more feedback on why B&W P7 would be better than QC35?

I live in one of the largest metropolis in the US, but I am kind of confined to what's available at Best Buy as I have a gift card from them... so preferably something available there.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 64
Thank you for your comment PL4Y3R 0N3.

What I care most about is sound quality. I want to hear the most details and vitality possible within my price range (around $300 to $500ish). As long as I stay within that range, price is not a concern to me.

NC is not important to me at all. In fact, since I started to get more into this, I realize NC affects sound quality in a bad way. If that's true, I'd prefer to not have NC (although I do travel quite a lot).

Anyone has other options, or more feedback on why B&W P7 would be better than QC35?

I live in one of the largest metropolis in the US, but I am kind of confined to what's available at Best Buy as I have a gift card from them... so preferably something available there.

If that is so the first two are the ones to look at, but if you could give a list of the Bluetooth headphones available to you that would be very helpful.
Like I said, all opinions here are subjective so in the end it comes down to what you want.
Something else that would help is what your source is. If your source offers aptX then aptX enabled headphones would benefit you greatly. If not then all Bluetooth headphones will use normal Bluetooth streaming and compression even if they are aptX enabled.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 64
If you don't like the NC, ditch the Bose.

I am a proud owner of 3 QC headsets because they do an admirable job in NYC.

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 64
If that is so the first two are the ones to look at, but if you could give a list of the Bluetooth headphones available to you that would be very helpful.
Like I said, all opinions here are subjective so in the end it comes down to what you want.
Something else that would help is what your source is. If your source offers aptX then aptX enabled headphones would benefit you greatly. If not then all Bluetooth headphones will use normal Bluetooth streaming and compression even if they are aptX enabled.

I guess I was hoping for less subjective opinions, as most people here are probably really into music and in theory can relate to what I'm saying.

I will be using it mostly with iPhone / Spotify / my own mp3 iTunes library. Thinking about restarting collecting LPs too, but that's far in the future.

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 64
I guess I was hoping for less subjective opinions, as most people here are probably really into music and in theory can relate to what I'm saying.

I will be using it mostly with iPhone / Spotify / my own mp3 iTunes library. Thinking about restarting collecting LPs too, but that's far in the future.

Well, in that case I reccomend the sennheiser momentum wireless. It is overall the most acclaimed Bluetooth headphone I've seen on the market. Gotta be something good there cause everyone seems to like them.

Sep 20, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 64
I'm in the same city but it seems our ears might be built differently :wink:
By admirable job, I mean noise cancellation, not sound quality.

The SQ leaves something to be desired but for an everyday commuting headphone, NC >>> SQ for me.

+1 on Momentum Wireless, it's a good sounding headphone that does some NC rather than the Bose which is a NC headphone that plays some music.

In fact, I would categorize all 3 Bose that I've owned exactly the same way. QC20i, QC25, QC35.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 64
By admirable job, I mean noise cancellation, not sound quality.

The SQ leaves something to be desired but for an everyday commuting headphone, NC >>> SQ for me.

+1 on Momentum Wireless, it's a good sounding headphone that does some NC rather than the Bose which is a NC headphone that plays some music.

In fact, I would categorize all 3 Bose that I've owned exactly the same way. QC20i, QC25, QC35.

Yes I knew you meant NC :wink: Thing is, my ears don't seem to like the effect NC has on the ears.

Great point, I'm more interested in the music than Nc: good sounding headphone that does some NC rather than the Bose which is a NC headphone that plays some music

What about Bowers & Wilkinson P7? Anyone has any experience? Sound is much more rich to me than any Bose. Haven't tried Momentum Wireless, will try to this week. Is it better than B&W P7 sound-wise?

I don't think P7 is awesome but the music sounds more lively than Bose. Bose QC35  is more comfy to wear though. B&W feels chunky and weights on your head.

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 64
Yes I knew you meant NC :wink: Thing is, my ears don't seem to like the effect NC has on the ears.

Great point, I'm more interested in the music than Nc: good sounding headphone that does some NC rather than the Bose which is a NC headphone that plays some music

What about Bowers & Wilkinson P7? Anyone has any experience? Sound is much more rich to me than any Bose. Haven't tried Momentum Wireless, will try to this week. Is it better than B&W P7 sound-wise?

I don't think P7 is awesome but the music sounds more lively than Bose. Bose QC35  is more comfy to wear though. B&W feels chunky and weights on your head.

Bose's NC is especially powerful and will have an effect on your ears that feels almost like going deep underwater (to me) but the senns along with all of the other headphones I reccomended don't have such strong NC.
Again, if you like the p7 there is nothing wrong with buying them. The most important thing about headphones is enjoying music and if the p7 is enjoyable to you don't hesitate and miss an opportunity. Now I'm not saying that you won't find a better headphone or that you shouldn't look, but if you hold off because you are looking for something better you may miss your chance. Don't let your deadline come up and miss your chance to get a headphone you really like.

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 64
Test out the Sony in October, then choose.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 64
Test out the Sony in October, then choose.

That's what I'm going to do - had the same experience as @synthgirl , can't say I'm an audiophile, but the QC35 sound was much worse than my PSB M4U 2s (and my Bose OE soundlinks) so I returned them.  The BT range was also terrible, especially compared with the Bose OE soundlink ... weird.

Anyway, waiting for the Sonys

Sep 24, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 64
I like the Bose ANC, but if Sony is on par with AND has better SQ, I'm in all the way.

Plus the features are nifty.

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 64
I like the Bose ANC, but if Sony is on par with AND has better SQ, I'm in all the way.

Plus the features are nifty.

Well, too bad for Sony but the P7 Wireless are on their way.  If they sound great - and the reviews seem say they do - I may just get by with them and skip the ANC for everything but overseas trips (and if I use points I get free Bose QC anyway).

End of the day, I use my headphones everyday for music and/or shows, but only occasionally travel ... maybe I just turn up the B&Ws for those occurrences ... or buy the Sony's next year when the price comes down or B&W releases an ANC set : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back