Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #961 of 4,790
There are several comparisons in this thread and in the Amiron thread. But this is without doubt the most detailed comparison.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/p...-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home.838972/

I have both headphones and like them both, if I could only keep one it would probably be the Amiron. The Amiron is more smooth with warmer mids and more comfortable, the DT 1990 more direct(faster) and overall brighter(for me).

That helped a lot thanks..

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #962 of 4,790
One to share and one to ask :p

1. Falling back in love with my DT1990 Pro. After giving up the search of a decent mobile DAC/Amp combo that feed my 1990s well (for a sub £200 budget lol, I am not 100% convinced by the DF Red) the cans had been collecting dusts until a week ago, when I got my new Macbook Pro mid 2017 (with touch bar). My oh my the jack output of this mac is a miracle, does not have much power to go really loud with a 250-ohm pair of headphones but surely a listenable/audible level. However, the thing is the internal dac can really drive these headphones with its own calm (can't believe I said this, but the sound really indicates that) and lots of details. Not that level of articulation and firmness of the Mojo but not very far off, but it gives me a better stereo feel than the Mojo, which is exactly why I was not after it. I have the previous 2015 model also and its internal dac is decent but this new one is many levels above (did I mention the built in speakers are brilliant for a laptop too). Maybe its the synergy that I myself have been seeking for, not sure but I am typing this with a smile listening to ... Youtube playlist lol. I can now comfortably listen to my headphones at Starbucks without the rolling eyes of people around looking at the mess on my table.

2. By the way, have anybody with the DT1990 Pro got a chance to compare it side by side to the Ultrasone Signature Pro? I was at CanJam London last week and was blown away by that particular pair, but cannot directly compare cause I did not bring my 1990s and had not listened to it for a long time, also the tracks that Ultrasone staff used was not in my playlists and their setup are of course reference setup. But the Sig Pro definitely gave me everything I miss when with the 1990 with the same if not higher level of details (given that I have tried DT1990s with the Hugo 2- which is a bomb, the best dac I have ever heard)

Thanks and have a good day everyone :D

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #963 of 4,790
One to share and one to ask :p

1. Falling back in love with my DT1990 Pro. After giving up the search of a decent mobile DAC/Amp combo that feed my 1990s well (for a sub £200 budget lol, I am not 100% convinced by the DF Red) the cans had been collecting dusts until a week ago, when I got my new Macbook Pro mid 2017 (with touch bar). My oh my the jack output of this mac is a miracle, does not have much power to go really loud with a 250-ohm pair of headphones but surely a listenable/audible level. However, the thing is the internal dac can really drive these headphones with its own calm (can't believe I said this, but the sound really indicates that) and lots of details. Not that level of articulation and firmness of the Mojo but not very far off, but it gives me a better stereo feel than the Mojo, which is exactly why I was not after it. I have the previous 2015 model also and its internal dac is decent but this new one is many levels above (did I mention the built in speakers are brilliant for a laptop too). Maybe its the synergy that I myself have been seeking for, not sure but I am typing this with a smile listening to ... Youtube playlist lol. I can now comfortably listen to my headphones at Starbucks without the rolling eyes of people around looking at the mess on my table.

2. By the way, have anybody with the DT1990 Pro got a chance to compare it side by side to the Ultrasone Signature Pro? I was at CanJam London last week and was blown away by that particular pair, but cannot directly compare cause I did not bring my 1990s and had not listened to it for a long time, also the tracks that Ultrasone staff used was not in my playlists and their setup are of course reference setup. But the Sig Pro definitely gave me everything I miss when with the 1990 with the same if not higher level of details (given that I have tried DT1990s with the Hugo 2- which is a bomb, the best dac I have ever heard)

Thanks and have a good day everyone :D

I have both the DT 1990 and the Sig Pro, but I find it a little bit difficult to compare open vs closed headphones. What exactly do you miss with the DT 1990 ? Maybe you just prefer a closed headphone ?

I don't use the Sig Pro so much at home, for me it's the perfect travel companion. And yes agree, they are very detailed, at least on the same level as the 1990. But what surprised me most with them was the bass. Never overblown never out of control but still very present. And they are fairly easy to drive, they are excellent out of my HTC 10. I have yet to find a closed portable headphone at the same price that can beat them.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #964 of 4,790
I have both the DT 1990 and the Sig Pro, but I find it a little bit difficult to compare open vs closed headphones. What exactly do you miss with the DT 1990 ? Maybe you just prefer a closed headphone ?

I don't use the Sig Pro so much at home, for me it's the perfect travel companion. And yes agree, they are very detailed, at least on the same level as the 1990. But what surprised me most with them was the bass. Never overblown never out of control but still very present. And they are fairly easy to drive, they are excellent out of my HTC 10. I have yet to find a closed portable headphone at the same price that can beat them.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, everything through the Sig Pro is about right to my ears, so smooth yet very detailed and balanced with the right punch, right extension, the mids/vocals are more present and refined than the 1990; and yes the bass are amazing. I compared them to the Edition 8, which is a hifi can rather than pro one and find it inferior to the Sig Pro, but smoother and more fun. (I was told that Stevie Wonder use the Sig Pro in the studio which is lovely to know as Stevie is one of my most favourite artists).

Maybe the DT1990 is a bit harsh with trebles (I only use the analytical pads btw) for me and less musical, I am not sure. And surprisingly, the soundstage of the Sig Pro is not far from the 1990 and is huge for being closed, maybe the S-Logic thing is not just a gimmick.

By the way, have you compared the Sig Pro to wooden ear cups family from Denon and Fostex (D5000, D7000, D7200 and TH900 MkI/II, TH 610 etc) and the T5p gen 2? Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #967 of 4,790
are these hard to drive? pair on the way and all i have right now is a Fulla 2 - wondering if that'll do me over for the moment.
It will drive them but I am not sure of how it will sound. Take this as a grain of salt, I was disappointed by the sound from the Magni 2 and Modi 2 stack, lots of power but lack of refinement, or simply just not my taste. Cheers.

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #968 of 4,790
It will drive them just fine.

It will drive them but I am not sure of how it will sound. Take this as a grain of salt, I was disappointed by the sound from the Magni 2 and Modi 2 stack, lots of power but lack of refinement, or simply just not my taste. Cheers.

thanks, guys. i'll give it a listen and see how i like it.

Jul 25, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #969 of 4,790
Anyone tried these headphones on a Bottlehead Crack yet? Currently have the HD600 and dt880 premium phones and looking for a better performance.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #970 of 4,790
Anyone tried these headphones on a Bottlehead Crack yet? Currently have the HD600 and dt880 premium phones and looking for a better performance.

Yea I do and I love it. Never have I felt the treble shrill with tubes that some talk about. The ability to tube roll and change sound signature to what ever you're in the mood for is an added plus. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 1990s with a BHC. As far as better performance compared to the 880 and hd600s I'm sure you could piece enough information about the sound signatures of all 3 and get an idea for what the 1990s would bring to the table.

GL!

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #972 of 4,790
If I have DT990 , is the 1990 DT would be any better ? The MOST IMPORTANT thing, is that do the DT1990 have the HAIR issue ?? I already replaced 4 speakers on my 2 DT990 Headphones,, It's driving me insane. I like the quality so much I can't even think on other headphones. but this HAIR issue ruins my headphones every time ! my friend help me with the soldering of the headphones and it's perfect job , but hair comes every time .. now it happened again. I'm using a fresh headphones that we fixed and I put 2 Protectors so it will cover everything !! , I tried to fix by myself the speaker which had hair and I ruined it just today .

I just something perfect. I will send beyerdynamic message about this thing so they do something for me after I bought 4-5 speakers just to fix this damned issue over and over again.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #973 of 4,790
If I have DT990 , is the 1990 DT would be any better ? The MOST IMPORTANT thing, is that do the DT1990 have the HAIR issue ?? I already replaced 4 speakers on my 2 DT990 Headphones,, It's driving me insane. I like the quality so much I can't even think on other headphones. but this HAIR issue ruins my headphones every time ! my friend help me with the soldering of the headphones and it's perfect job , but hair comes every time .. now it happened again. I'm using a fresh headphones that we fixed and I put 2 Protectors so it will cover everything !! , I tried to fix by myself the speaker which had hair and I ruined it just today .

I just something perfect. I will send beyerdynamic message about this thing so they do something for me after I bought 4-5 speakers just to fix this damned issue over and over again.
What is "the hair issue"? Never heard of it.

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #975 of 4,790
I've never had serious issues with hairs in my Beyerdynamics. On a couple rare occasions there has been rattling that I've attributed to hairs, but I have managed to pull them out as they have been stuck in the white paper that covers the driver. Sometimes it's difficult to spot the hairs, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back