Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Mar 30, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #106 of 329
anyone have compared holo spring to the dac3 yet?

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #107 of 329
  anyone have compared holo spring to the dac3 yet?

I did not have both at the same time - so a head-to-head comparison was impossible.  
In short, I prefered the NOS mode on the Spring to the DAC3.  I wrote reviews about both DACs.

You might want to ask @MacedonianHero - he had both DACs as well.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #108 of 329
  I did not have both at the same time - so a head-to-head comparison was impossible.  
In short, I prefered the NOS mode on the Spring to the DAC3.  I wrote reviews about both DACs.

Actually have both. 
smile.gif
 Love both... actually bought both. Both are excellent, but different enough to own them both and I can appreciate them both. 

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #109 of 329

Actually have both. 
smile.gif
 Love both... actually bought both. Both are excellent, but different enough to own them both and I can appreciate them both. 

Mind elaborating more?

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #111 of 329
Apr 8, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #112 of 329
I just wanted to follow up that I wasn't able to evaluate the DAC properly since my system had some issues.  My speakers are somewhat detailed and bright, and I thought that if this was caused by distortion from the digital source, the Benchmark might clear that up.  Well, I have to agree with a recent professional review that said this DAC is best suited for a system that already has the right tone/balance in place.  With the Benchmark added, things were even more detailed and crisp. I think if my other components were better, the DAC might have worked out.

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #113 of 329
  I just wanted to follow up that I wasn't able to evaluate the DAC properly since my system had some issues.  My speakers are somewhat detailed and bright, and I thought that if this was caused by distortion from the digital source, the Benchmark might clear that up.  Well, I have to agree with a recent professional review that said this DAC is best suited for a system that already has the right tone/balance in place.  With the Benchmark added, things were even more detailed and crisp. I think if my other components were better, the DAC might have worked out.

Are you saying the Benchmark is bright/crisp?

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #114 of 329
  Are you saying the Benchmark is bright/crisp?

He's saying his speakers are bright/crisp. The Benchmark is neutral/flat (measurements confirm that as well). So bight speakers will sound the way they sound...bright. FWIW, my review of this excellent DAC will be out just over a week from now on our site.

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #115 of 329
You can connect your iPhone and iPads to the DAC2 and DAC3 via USB if you use a powered USB hub. The USB chip in the DAC2+3 is powered from the USB and the iPhone doesn't supply enough power to run the USB so by adding the powered hub the DAC pulls its power from the hub and then doesn't require any power from the device.

Does this mean that an iPhone's battery will drain through the USB connection unless you use a separate powered device? Can someone recommend such a powered USB hub for this purpose?

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #116 of 329
Someone help us out with this thing vs RME ADI-2 pro vs Mytek Brooklyn vs Grace Design M920 vs Prism Sound Callia vs SPL Phonitor 2/X/E 
redface.gif

Some serious competition at the $2000 price tag.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #117 of 329
Does this mean that an iPhone's battery will drain through the USB connection unless you use a separate powered device? Can someone recommend such a powered USB hub for this purpose?

With iPhone alone, it won't work. It can't supply enough current to power the USB chip in DAC2/3. You need a powered hub to use the USB connection.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #118 of 329
So I went ahead and purchased the Benchmark DAC3 and hooked it up (with the included Monoprice USB cable) to my MacBook Pro playing lossless files ripped from my CDs. Using the HT bypass to play through my Krell integrated amplifier into Audio Physic Virgo speakers (as well as listening through the headphone amp and HGC volume control driving Beyerdynamic DT 880s). With the panoply of input options I was able to do direct A/B comparisons between my Krell CD player and iTunes as well as between the digital and analog outputs of the CD player. I will say that the balanced XLR connection makes a huge difference in bringing out subtle details such as the breath of vocalists and the note decay of wind and string instruments. So far very happy with this well designed and excellently built little piece of equipment.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #119 of 329
Hi guys,

I am getting a faint whine from the unit when the power cable is plugged in (even when the unit is not on). Is this normal? It doesn't bother me as the unit is quite far away and I only hear it when my ear is say a few cm away. Should I exchange it while the warranty is active, or is this normal? 

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #120 of 329
  Hi guys,

I am getting a faint whine from the unit when the power cable is plugged in (even when the unit is not on). Is this normal? It doesn't bother me as the unit is quite far away and I only hear it when my ear is say a few cm away. Should I exchange it while the warranty is active, or is this normal? 

Mine is dead silent. I'd try another outlet with it in your house first.

In case anyone interested, my Benchmark DAC3 HGC review is now live. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back