Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6 Discussion Thread
May 5, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #1,756 of 2,875
I never notice differences among cables. I only replace original cables for comfort reasons...original is too long, too short, too sprongy, too microphonic etc.

If I am using my DAP those issues can annoy me and detract from my music. If I am at my desktop it does not matter too much as a I have a decent way to manage a too long cable plus I am not moving about. I only changed the Beoplay one because if the original were to become damaged none of the spare cables I have would work because of mine being the natural color ones.

I hate non-detachable cables. I really wish I could get rid of the cable that is attached to my Grado 325e. Its so heavy and thick it nearly pulls me off the sofa when I am trying to relax with my portable setup! :o2smile:

I really just get immersed in my music and don't really notice whatever differences there may be in sound when I change a cable.

Your opinion is exactly the same as mine, I changed my cable because I wanted something shorter, plus I personally hate inline remotes.

I believe a lot of this is snake oil and placebo.

Remember when DVD players and BluRay Players first came out, every shop would try to sell you a £100 HDMI cable with your new player. Personally I only ever used the oem cables and when I had to buy a cable I always found that a HDMI cable from the local pound store worked fine.

When I purchased my Denon headphones they came with two high quality cables, a shorter cable with inline functions for portable use, and a nice thick longer cable for home use, yet in spite of this the salesman tried selling me a cable costing almost 3/4 the price of the headphones.

May 5, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,757 of 2,875
:):):)

I need to work on getting better photos of my headphones. I find it difficult. Those pads look cool (in both meanings of the word). All you need to do now is dye the tan part of the headband black :)

I agree with you regarding the ear pads. If they offer more comfort and cut down on the sweatiness then they would be a good upgrade.

Just by looking at them, they have the appearance of being very comfortable, plus those perforations will obviously help your ears breathe more.

Can I spend £65 plus?

I am struggling as I already find the H6's a lot more comfortable than my other headphones.

May 5, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #1,758 of 2,875
I agree with you regarding the ear pads. If they offer more comfort and cut down on the sweatiness then they would be a good upgrade.

Just by looking at them, they have the appearance of being very comfortable, plus those perforations will obviously help your ears breathe more.

Can I spend £65 plus?

I am struggling as I already find the H6's a lot more comfortable than my other headphones.

He said he lives in a hot climate. You are in the UK, correct? These could keep our ears warm in the winter....not that I have experienced a proper winter (i.e. two feet of snow overnight) since moving here.

I have no plans to change my pads... I chose the natural option because most of my other headphones were black (or in the case of a couple of portables, purple). I liked the look of the natural and of course I looked in the mirror after I got them :). I just hope they do not discolor in time. They are definitely my most comfortable closed headphones. My Yamaha mt220 comes close except for that coiled cable. Because of that I use those more at my desk. With my Dap I don't like that coil pulling on it. I have to hold or support that coil.

I was just admiring his picture and noticing how awesome it would look if the headband were black...the top not the underneath part... that I would leave grey.

Heh... we are talking looks here... meanwhile they sound amazing. I have had mine since November. Because I loved my semi open Nighthawks, I was eyeing the Nightowl which was not yet available but decided that I did not want two the same style so I researched and purchased the H6. I have terrible comfort issues with the NAD hp50 (the pads mostly) so was very happy that the H6 was comfortable and sounded great.

May 5, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,759 of 2,875
Do you honestly hear any difference with these cables?
I cannot hear any difference between the OEM cable and the cheap Belkin Aux cable that I am using now.

For me cables are definitely at the bottom of the gear fidelity importance pile... with that said low-quality, poorly made cables and connectors can definitely effect fidelity and dramatically so.

My initial cable change was definitely in response to a quality/technical issue I was having with the OEM supplied mic cable that came with my H6s... it was utter crap, of shocking low-quality (a 3.5 connector was bent and crimped and poorly affixed/soldered), exhibited horrible micro-phonics, and was overall absolutely horrendous sounding to me. The V-MODA audio only cable that I replaced it with was reasonably priced and is extremely well made. It feels much nicer and offers much improvement in sound, durability, portability, etc. I heard a huge improvement when I connected the V-MODA audio only cable to my H6s.

Now with my second cable upgrade I just received my new Lavricables Reference Silver cable a few days ago and I bought it specifically for personal preferences (visual and finish... as in quality workmanship), improved durability, custom length, and higher grade connectors.

May 5, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,760 of 2,875
For me cables are definitely at the bottom of the gear fidelity importance pile... with that said low-quality, poorly made cables and connectors can definitely effect fidelity and dramatically so.

My initial cable change was definitely in response to a quality/technical issue I was having with the OEM supplied mic cable that came with my H6s... it was utter crap, of shocking low-quality (a 3.5 connector was bent and crimped and poorly affixed/soldered), exhibited horrible micro-phonics, and was overall absolutely horrendous sounding to me. The V-MODA audio only cable that I replaced it with was reasonably priced and is extremely well made. It feels much nicer and offers much improvement in sound, durability, portability, etc. I heard a huge improvement when I connected the V-MODA audio only cable to my H6s.

Now with my second cable upgrade I just received my new Lavricables Reference Silver cable a few days ago and I bought it specifically for personal preferences (visual and finish... as in quality workmanship), improved durability, custom length, and higher grade connectors.

I understand, the B&O H6 is a very stylish and well made headphone so you want to finish the look with a good quality cable. I am happy with the Belkin as it looks like a headphone cable, but I wouldn't like it if it looked like a cheap pound shop cable.

May 5, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #1,761 of 2,875
He said he lives in a hot climate. You are in the UK, correct? These could keep our ears warm in the winter....not that I have experienced a proper winter (i.e. two feet of snow overnight) since moving here.

I have no plans to change my pads... I chose the natural option because most of my other headphones were black (or in the case of a couple of portables, purple). I liked the look of the natural and of course I looked in the mirror after I got them :). I just hope they do not discolor in time. They are definitely my most comfortable closed headphones. My Yamaha mt220 comes close except for that coiled cable. Because of that I use those more at my desk. With my Dap I don't like that coil pulling on it. I have to hold or support that coil.

I was just admiring his picture and noticing how awesome it would look if the headband were black...the top not the underneath part... that I would leave grey.

Heh... we are talking looks here... meanwhile they sound amazing. I have had mine since November. Because I loved my semi open Nighthawks, I was eyeing the Nightowl which was not yet available but decided that I did not want two the same style so I researched and purchased the H6. I have terrible comfort issues with the NAD hp50 (the pads mostly) so was very happy that the H6 was comfortable and sounded great.

I live in the UK but I have big ears like the 'Friendly Giant' that sweat if I have headphones on for long periods of time, but as you said, the H6's are good ear muffs in the winter.

I originally purchased the H2's on a lightning deal as I wanted something smaller than my Denons. When I first tried them they really impressed me as they were bright and clear but unfortunately they were lacking something and were not fully there in the bass.

Already having the H2's and a Beolit 15 I decided to look at B&O's headphone range and that was when I found the H6.

Now I have Denon, Sennheiser, Bose and AKG headphones sitting unused in my cupboard.

May 5, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #1,763 of 2,875

It sounds like your original cable was defective. They should have replaced it. I also wonder if they have changed/improved the cable since v1. Mine is nothing like you describe. I definitely do not have a problem with micro-phonics with it and I have replaced cables that do have it. Those V-Moda cables do look nice and I know they are well regarded. I personally would not want the angled plug for my purposes. Plus Amazon UK only had the black or the red. Surprisingly the only defective cable I ever had came with my Audioquest Nighhawks (original version). Their long thick fancy silver (inside) cable broke at the plug connection when I (carefully) took it out of my desktop amp to try it with my DAP/portable amp combo. I had gotten a few random sound dropouts when I was listening off and on during the burn in process. I just thought my PC or foobar was acting up and might need a reboot. Seems it was a bad solder joint. The NH thread was full of cable complaints at that time. They have since changed it. Fortunately they had also supplied a shorter thinner cable for portable use. That had micro-phonics though and I have since replaced it.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,764 of 2,875
@mbwilson111
FYI:
The angled plug on the V-MODA audio only cable, believe it or not, nicely fits into the H6 ear cup jack if you rather use the straight plug for the source instead... that is how I ran mine.

A long story short... this mentioned defective cable; countless replacement ear pad queries fallen on deaf ears; and an extremely rude customer service experience (over a period of a week!) led me to vow to never, ever buy B&O again and I will not. Their loss and the reason why I ended up buying the V-MODA cable and the Rapha Ear Pads. And thus also why I have been on the hunt for an upgrade and replacement... I too found the NAD Viso HP50s to be uncomfortable as well as the Sines and Oppo PM-3s.

Very sad as the H6s are the best headphones I have ever owned (especially in comfort, timbre, imaging, and sound stage) and those cans that I have heard that are better are either very costly, non-portable open-backs (HD800, T1, Ether Flow); extremely uncomfortable and costly open-backs (LCD-4); and uncomfortable or very costly closed-backs (LCD-XC; Ether C)... e.g. the Ether C though very comfortable are indeed better sounding than the H6s but not enough to justify the price though.

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #1,765 of 2,875
Your opinion is exactly the same as mine, I changed my cable because I wanted something shorter, plus I personally hate inline remotes.

I believe a lot of this is snake oil and placebo.

Remember when DVD players and BluRay Players first came out, every shop would try to sell you a £100 HDMI cable with your new player. Personally I only ever used the oem cables and when I had to buy a cable I always found that a HDMI cable from the local pound store worked fine.

When I purchased my Denon headphones they came with two high quality cables, a shorter cable with inline functions for portable use, and a nice thick longer cable for home use, yet in spite of this the salesman tried selling me a cable costing almost 3/4 the price of the headphones.

It is interesting that you wanted something shorter. My Belkin cable and my original H6 cable are the same length as each other

I do remember paying much more for my first optical cable than I would now. As far as other equipment goes I usually use the provided cables. I certainly won't pay £100 for a cable... or $100.

What are some of your other headphones. You don't have a list in your information tab in your profile. I have updated mine but now with the new forum layout if you go to someones profile you don't see that info as before. You have to click on the tab. I think they will fix that though. I have the Denon d600 and it came with two quality cables like you described. Which Denons do you have?

May 5, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #1,766 of 2,875
It is interesting that you wanted something shorter. My Belkin cable and my original H6 cable are the same length as each other

I do remember paying much more for my first optical cable than I would now. As far as other equipment goes I usually use the provided cables. I certainly won't pay £100 for a cable... or $100.

What are some of your other headphones. You don't have a list in your information tab in your profile. I have updated mine but now with the new forum layout if you go to someones profile you don't see that info as before. You have to click on the tab. I think they will fix that though. I have the Denon d600 and it came with two quality cables like you described. Which Denons do you have?

I meant that I wanted a short cable, originally I ordered a cable from Amazon, great cable but too long for my liking, 4ft is the ideal length to carry with my DAP.

These are the headphones that I currently have.

AKG K702 Open-Back

B&O Beoplay H2

B&O Beoplay H3 ANC In-Ear Headphones

B&O Beoplay H6 (3 pairs)

Bose in ear (can't remember model)

Bose OE2 - on ear

Denon AH-D600

Optoma NE800M NuForce Earphones (2 pairs)

Sennheiser Momentum - on ear

May 5, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #1,767 of 2,875
@mbwilson111
FYI:
The angled plug on the V-MODA audio only cable, believe it or not, nicely fits into the H6 ear cup jack if you rather use the straight plug for the source instead... that is how I ran mine.

A long story but this defective cable issue; countless replacement ear pad queries fallen on deaf ears; and an extremely rude customer service experience (over a period of a week!) I vowed to never, ever buy B&O again and I will not. Their loss. The reason why I ended up buying the V-MODA cable and the Rapha Ear Pads. And thus also why I have been on the hunt for an upgrade and replacement... I too found the NAD Viso HP50s to be uncomfortable as well as the Sines and Oppo PM-3s.

Very sad as the H6s are the best headphones I have ever owned (especially in comfort, timbre, imaging, and sound stage) and those cans that I have heard that are better are either very costly, non-portable open-backs (HD800, T1, Ether Flow); extremely uncomfortable and costly open-backs (LCD-4); and uncomfortable or very costly closed-backs (LCD-XC; Ether C)... e.g. the Ether C though very comfortable are indeed better sounding than the H6s but not enough to justify the price though.

Thanks for the tip on putting the angled plug into the ear cup jack. I actually have a headphone that I might try this with. A black one for my Fostex t50rp mkiii. Too bad they don't have an orange one. I do prefer the straight plug at the source... my desktop and my portable setup. I will have to wait until someone visits me from the US.... more than twice the cost here in the UK.

A nice sounding portable that I only heard for a few songs is the Denon mm400. It seems to be well loved on this forum. Unfortunately the one I heard had to be sent back due to a driver imbalance. A few people have had that problem so you would want to order from someone with a good return policy. I cannot personally compare them to the H6 because I did not get to listen to them enough.

I just got these which have amazed me (kinda look like the Denons but have 50mm drivers not 40mm so are bigger overall). I found out about them in the Denon thread and read more about them in the asian thread. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-...=1494010357&sr=8-1&keywords=kinden+headphones BTW they are closed but NOT noise cancelling. Also known as BOSSHIFI B8 I was unable to resist the deal after reading good things here. I truly am blown away by these. Listening to them right now in fact... burning in... just came this week. I probably won't use them for portable as wooden phones are a bit heavy and they do feel heavier than the Denons. My neck gets tired and starts to hurt with heavy phones. One reason I love the Beoplays so much.

May 5, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #1,768 of 2,875
AKG K702 Open-Back

B&O Beoplay H6 (3 pairs)

Denon AH-D600

We have these three in common. Would love to hear your impressions on the Denon AH-D600. Maybe we should revive the Denon thread. I have not had mine very long and right now I would not know how to compare them to my Beoplays or any others. I am not good at that. I just get lost in the music and forget to "listen to the headphones" :)

May 5, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #1,769 of 2,875
We have these three in common. Would love to hear your impressions on the Denon AH-D600. Maybe we should revive the Denon thread. I have not had mine very long and right now I would not know how to compare them to my Beoplays or any others. I am not good at that. I just get lost in the music and forget to "listen to the headphones" :)

I cannot remember exactly when I bought the Denons but I bought my Slappa case for them in July 2014, since then I have only used them a few times, they are in the cupboard now.

I bought them as the reviews at the time claimed that they were great for Rock music. I found that they had a good deep bass and they were great for Rock, but I ended up storing them.

I got them out a couple of weeks ago to compare the bass with my H6, I only played with them briefly but they were a much deeper sound. I will have to spend a few hours with them before I can say any more.

May 7, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #1,770 of 2,875

I am really confused now.

I thought that I had found the perfect headphones in the form of the H6, hence why I purchased a further two pairs. However, now that I have started using my Denons again to compare them with the H6 I am beginning to like the Denons more and more.

I orginally stopped using the Denons because of their size and after finding the H6 and liking their sound, over time I simply forgot just how good the Denons are.

Bass
What I am finding is that while the H6 delivers excellent bass, it is much deeper and richer in the Denons.

Treble
The H6 delivers a much brighter and forward treble and now having listened to the Denons again, I am thinking that the treble from the H6 is a little too much.

Vocals

The H6 presents a much brighter, clear and forward vocal, however, this may be be partly due to the brighter treble.

I really like the H6 but I feel for me the Denon suits my taste in music better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back