AURALiC ARIES
Jan 19, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #211 of 275
I am in the process of upgrading my current system which uses a Sonos Connect into my Bifrost/Valhalla 2. I am picking up the Yggdrasil and Eddie Current Zana Deux, and I understand the Sonos Connect would be a bottleneck in that system. So that has led me to the Aries, which I understand acts much like the Sonos Connect and has a great user interface. 

My question is: How do people get their music to the Aries? Right now I have a external hard drive connected to my computer in another room, and the Sonos Connect picks up those files and sends them to the Bifrost (via optical). Would I still be able to do this with the Aries? Would it be recommended? I've read about using a NAS, but I don't quite understand the difference between using a NAS versus a computer with an external hard drive. Can anyone offer some insight as to how I would get the most out of the Aries and my music collection? 

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #212 of 275
  I am in the process of upgrading my current system which uses a Sonos Connect into my Bifrost/Valhalla 2. I am picking up the Yggdrasil and Eddie Current Zana Deux, and I understand the Sonos Connect would be a bottleneck in that system. So that has led me to the Aries, which I understand acts much like the Sonos Connect and has a great user interface. 

My question is: How do people get their music to the Aries? Right now I have a external hard drive connected to my computer in another room, and the Sonos Connect picks up those files and sends them to the Bifrost (via optical). Would I still be able to do this with the Aries? Would it be recommended? I've read about using a NAS, but I don't quite understand the difference between using a NAS versus a computer with an external hard drive. Can anyone offer some insight as to how I would get the most out of the Aries and my music collection? 

Thanks!

You can do either/or and they should both work just the same, no bottlenecks either way. I use mine with a NAS personally and it sounds great, although I am currently trying to sell my Aries Mini so I can get the Sonore MicroRendu which will allow me to use Roon.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #213 of 275
How does the NAS get the music to the Aries? I assume you could just wire the NAS into the Aries via USB or something, right? But you can also go from the NAS to the Aries wirelessly with the use of your router? If you go wirelessly, do you start having to worry about the quality of your router/internet speed?

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #214 of 275
How does the NAS get the music to the Aries? I assume you could just wire the NAS into the Aries via USB or something, right? But you can also go from the NAS to the Aries wirelessly with the use of your router? If you go wirelessly, do you start having to worry about the quality of your router/internet speed?

I use mine wirelessly and no issues or dropouts to speak of, but I do have very good internet where I live (Cox Gigablast). If your wifi is an issue then using an ethernet port is another option or wiring directly to the NAS if they are near each other, lot's of options really. 

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #215 of 275

Thanks!

I'd also look into Bryston BDP-1/2 if most of your listening is local playback. Really good sound quality. With regards to NAS, in most streamers, I've found local attached playback to be better. I plug a 2 TB drive straight to the BDP and it outputs AES to the DAC. It also has Roon capabilities, but for SQ I prefer local playback of my own music. Just an option to consider :)

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #216 of 275
  I use mine wirelessly and no issues or dropouts to speak of, but I do have very good internet where I live (Cox Gigablast). If your wifi is an issue then using an ethernet port is another option or wiring directly to the NAS if they are near each other, lot's of options really. 

Awesome, thanks for the response.

Any recommendations for an AC cable for the Aries? 

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #217 of 275

Awesome, thanks for the response.

Any recommendations for an AC cable for the Aries? 

I've only used the supplied one, but I've heard good things about Sbooster's ones too

Jan 20, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #218 of 275
  I've only used the supplied one, but I've heard good things about Sbooster's ones too

Oh I thought it doesn't come with an AC power cable? 

http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206599887-Unpack-and-connect-ARIES

Under Step 3 it says "NOTE: ARIES is not coming with power cord, please prepare your own cable."

Jan 20, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #219 of 275

Oh I thought it doesn't come with an AC power cable? 

http://support.auralic.com/hc/en-us/articles/206599887-Unpack-and-connect-ARIES

Under Step 3 it says "NOTE: ARIES is not coming with power cord, please prepare your own cable."

Hmm, pretty sure my Aries Mini did but maybe I am mistaken. Can't say about the Aries though, don't own that one. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #220 of 275
my friend is getting back into audio via usb based audio
(he once had a lovely $70k system...shindo tube amps, sonus faber monitors, wadia cd player etc
he does his research well enough).

he just ordered the new Wadia dac (some us$1500 model, just out)
so i sent him links to sonore micro rendu, aurender and the Auralis Aries.
he now feels that the Aries offers the best bang for the buck for a quality streamer as his pts to me below.
wants me to order one too.

we both stream/have ripped music, flac and 24/192 music on laptops or tablets right now.
(my streaming includes tidal hifi, his doesn't)

my setup is basic: laptop (ripped music, flac, tidal hifi) to dac to powered speakers.
i don't have a NAS (aside from laptop;...still looking into an affordable one: either cloud based or equipment wise)

of course this is just one person's op and there is no 'right' reason...we all buy based on our
own budgets and value/cost analysis.

just wondering if there is anything else he should consider.

1.       Sound Quality
·         Stereophile Class A rated
·         Favourable review by every high end magazine out there (Stereophile, Absolute Sound, HiFi+, High Fidelity)
·         Conversely the Sonore microRendu is only favourably reviewed by low key online blogs (trust me this will impact resale value)

2.       Resale Value
·         Good resale value because of all the favourable High End magazine reviews
·         Currently, reselling for $900US / $1200US on Audiogon / $1500 on Canuck Audio Mart

3.       Wireless
·         Auralic Aries is wireless so doesn’t need to be hard wired to an Ethernet Port
·         More flexibility, one less cable to buy
·         Sonore microRendu needs to be hardwired
·         Firmware upgrades can be done wirelessly
·         Upcoming firmware will support Tidal 

4.       Darko Approved
·         You trust John Darko, it is approved by him
(i am always sending him darko links/reviews)

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/auralic/1.html

5.       Value for Money
·         Sonore microRendu is less expensive at the outset but when you factor in the recommended $500 - $1,500 power supply not so much

http://www.sonore.us/signature-series-power-supply.html

·         Read the microRendu reviews carefully they all say it works better with the optional $1500 power supply 

·         $995 or $1599 isn’t really that bad for an audiophile quality music streamer (Aurender N100 is $3KUS and Aurender N1000H is $3.5K and the Naim is $4.5K

6.       Apple Friendly
·         Auralic spent over $1M to invest in building a nice iOS App
·         Auralic DS App is FREE, Auralic DS App is FREE, Auralic DS App is FREE
·         No fu*kin monthly subscription fees in $US
·         Support AirPlay

7.       No Additional Fees
·         Auralic DS App is FREE
·         Sonore microRendu must be in bed with Roon, if you read every review it seems like you have to use Roon to get the best performance
·         The Auralic Aries works with other platforms and really supports Apple iOS

8.       Upgraded Power Supply
·         Auralic Aries comes stock with Auralic Linear power supply
·         No additional investment later for optional power supply which could range anywhere from $500 - $1500

https://aurris.audio/product/auralic-linear-power-supply/

9.       Internal Storage  
·         Auralic Aries allows you to store music onto a USB stick or internally and play it back
·         Can’t do this with Sonore microRendu

10.   Aesthetics
·         Last but not least………..
·         For those who care………. the Auralic Aries looks like a piece designed by Bang & Olufsen (my friend loves aesthetics as well as SQ)
·         Even the Aurender looks blah next to the Aries

https://beocentral.com/beocenter2

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #221 of 275
Nice overview. I just received my Aries this week and so far I am very happy with it. It was a breeze to set up (using a Synology NAS) and the Lightning DS app is excellent. Coming from Sonos it was important that whatever music streamer I purchased sounded great AND was user friendly. I can't speak to other streamers, but the Aries nails it for me. 

The only other thing I would note is that the Aries does not come with an AC cable. I went with the Pangea AC 14 XL, which I am happy with. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #222 of 275
I just ordered the Aries Femto with Sbooster & Ultra power supply. I've actually already got the Aries Mini too so I will be able to compare the basic vs. the fully tricked out Aries Femto

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #223 of 275
i'm still trying to wrap my head around this technology and it's purpose
I mean not to long ago a good quality DAC was enough for resolving better our digital music
(from our laptops or such)..now it seems that ain't enough...so we have to step up to these pricey
streamers....
so a question, please: does this tech (whether it be a micro rendu or aries, etc) make a significant
step up in sound as per without it....i mean i presume so (otherwise you wouldnt' be buying this tech)

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #224 of 275
Well the Aries Mini sounded significantly better than a computer for me in terms of being a music server. These devices are purpose built to do one thing and one thing only, play music, whereas computers aren't made just for that function and therefore don't sound as good as a dedicated streamer can. That being said I get what your saying and it is kind of ridiculous. Especially when people start paying exorbitant prices for Ethernet cables, that's when you know you've gone a step too far.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #225 of 275
Darko today just did a review on the MicroRendu.
hoping someone chimes in on  comparisons between it and the Aries, esp
when you add in power supplies etc.

Classy! Sonore’s microRendu takes digital audio higher

by John H. Darkoabout 3 hours ago
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/classy-sonores-microrendu-takes-digital-audio-higher/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back