Audio-GD Singularity 19
Apr 27, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #211 of 285
Doesn't sound appealing, particularly in light of the alleged 100 hours of factory burn-in and test.

It also doesn't sound broken (my experience with which in solid state devices results in things either just not working or being horribly and obviously distorted). But it is congested, pitchy/peaky, tonally off, harsh and mushy (a neat trick to pull off simultaneously), fatiguing and veiled.

This thing is no competition for Audio-GD's PCM1704-based stuff. No competition at all. Nor is it competition for any half-way competent CoTS/reference-sheet DAC. I'm not even, particularly, a PCM1704 fan ... but while those may not be my particular cup of tea, I've never heard one that didn't totally out class this.

Anyway, I very much doubt it is defective unless it's at the design level (maybe it's hitting the extremes of parts tolerances/sample variations, but that's still a design problem). Either way, it's a) not my problem and b) to reassess this to a useful degree I'd need multiple units from random customers.

Don't need to take my word for it ... but I highly recommend listening to one before parting with your money. The cash you save will be your own.

Not arguing with what you're hearing, but I don't feel that way about the S19 vs my DAC-19. I went into it thinking the S19 was going to be "decent" and it ended up easily outclassing my DAC-19. It's too bad your experience hasn't been that good, especially considering what a pita it is to get any kind of warranty service on these units.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #212 of 285
Not arguing with what you're hearing, but I don't feel that way about the S19 vs my DAC-19. I went into it thinking the S19 was going to be "decent" and it ended up easily outclassing my DAC-19. It's too bad your experience hasn't been that good, especially considering what a pita it is to get any kind of warranty service on these units.

From where I'm sitting, that just reflects poorly on the DAC-19 specifically and Audio-GD in general.

Hard to imagine anything being bested by what I heard with Singularity 19, much less "outclassed", but each to their own. Regardless ... it remains the biggest POS I've ever heard, at any price, and I strongly advise listening to one before jumping in with your wallet. And, just in case it's down to sample variation (since you say warranty service is hard to get) you probably want to make sure you can have the actual unit you audition.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #213 of 285
The DAM1 modules terrific good!!!!!!Just ordered more 8 pcs.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #214 of 285
I spent some time auditioning the Audio-GD Singularity 19 recently ... the fully-loaded version (neutral tuning - the "warm" version was not shipping when this was purchased).

It is, without doubt, the absolute worst DAC I've ever heard (and I've done serious auditions on a LOT of DACs).

Words literally fail me as to just how bad this thing really is.

There was a claimed 100 hours of factory burn-in and test on this unit. It had a subsequent 300+ hours of burn-in before I did any serious listening to it. And it had almost four full days of continuous power-on time (playing music) in order for it to warm up before I did my audition (which was done in my own rig).

It didn't matter what jumper settings were used. It didn't matter what input it was driven via. It didn't matter what source material it was fed. And it didn't matter what I used as a source. It sounded consistently terrible.

It was auditioned with both Woo WA5-LE Mk2 (fully upgraded) and iFi Pro iCAN amplifiers, using Abyss, Utopia, LCD-4 and HD800S headphones.

This is not the kind of thing I had come to expect from Audio-GD, and if this is what one can expect from the Singularity-based models then I'd be damn sure to get an audition before you hand over your cash. It would be flat-out embarrassing at $100 never mind nearly $800 after shipping.

Terrible.

No harm giving an opinion in a educated/mannered way. It will prevent others from doing what could be an expensive, bad investment. You have more experience than 99% of people here and without sponsors, "talk good about this please" and especially no "new gear hype syndrome" so that's the kind of opinion I take more seriously as should others.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #215 of 285
Selling mine if anyone is interested: LINK

I've only had a Jotunheim internal DAC to compare with, but I found it to be a nice upgrade. PM if interested.

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #216 of 285
Torq,

It's interesting to hear a different opinion. Although I do think that both the DAC/NOS19 and S19 are great DACs, I have heard the positives and negatives, as with all equipment.

The S19 seems a bit more touchy in regards to the jumper settings being used. I've tried a few combinations, but the best in my setup being stock 8x os. Although, I definitely still need more time with different settings to make an educated claim on how good each sound.

Both my NOS and S19's have 300+ hours. I think that a lot of the ups and downs I'm experiencing has to do with placebo effect. Some days I'm foot tapping, and some days I'm wondering which setting I should change to next.

Righteousness may come with future software updates. This is still a very new product that will inevitably have many updates/variations before coming to a steady state. Early investors have gambled their satisfaction once again. I may have heard a bit of shouty harmonic overtones with the S19 as you describe. Could this be due to higher resolution/software settings? Maybe this can be adjusted in the software parameters.

Personally, I stlll think it sounds better than any other DAC I've owned. Well, maybe not better, but rather just different. Unless were talking phone dacs or the Dragonfly or ODAC, then yes I think it sounds better. All of these are still great DACs but..... blah one could go on forever about it. I look forward to software updates, and seeing what the Audio-gd team can do with it.

-T

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #217 of 285
Selling mine if anyone is interested: LINK

I've only had a Jotunheim internal DAC to compare with, but I found it to be a nice upgrade. PM if interested.

Well, that was quick. lol
I'm confused. You found the Jot DAC to be an upgrade, or the S19? Either way, I can see one's interest in selling gear to try more. I've done it with every piece of gear I've owned except my Bottlehead amps, and a few headphones I'll never sell.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #218 of 285
Although I do think that both the DAC/NOS19 and S19 are great DACs, I have heard the positives and negatives, as with all equipment.

I have no problem believing the DAC-19 sounds just fine. My comments about it were more in the context that if the S19 "outclasses" it, then it must be absolutely horrific. And I don't believe it is.

The Singularity 19 on the other hand ...

When I said it was the worst DAC I've ever heard, I meant it. It is awful. Bad enough that if it was someone's first exposure to dedicated DACs it might put them off the audio-hobby for life. I wish I was joking or exaggerating, but I'm not. Even the free ($9 to buy) Apple dongle for the iPhone 7 sounds markedly better across the board than the S19.

Righteousness may come with future software updates.
This is still a very new product that will inevitably have many updates/variations before coming to a steady state. Early investors have gambled their satisfaction once again.

One should never buy technology based on "futures" or "what might be" ... there are no guarantees. And unless you're getting an amazing deal by being an early adopter, you might as well just wait until the "promises" are fulfilled ... since more often than not they aren't ... and even if they are, you'll get them for the same price you would have paid anyway.

Regardless, this is the product that Audio-GD are selling now, and that's what my experiences are based on. And as it stands it's horrific.

Personally, I stlll think it sounds better than any other DAC I've owned.

While mileage and preferences vary, the measurements on this were horrible, the sound is worse and, as a result I will re-iterate that this is one unit that should not be bought without an audition (which I appreciate is rather difficult to do with Audio-GD). And if you audition one, and still decide to buy it ... make sure that's the actual unit you'll be getting.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #219 of 285
Well, that was quick. lol
I'm confused. You found the Jot DAC to be an upgrade, or the S19? Either way, I can see one's interest in selling gear to try more. I've done it with every piece of gear I've owned except my Bottlehead amps, and a few headphones I'll never sell.

The S19. But yeah, unfortunately I do not have the leisure to try before I buy. I'm selling because I'm interested in trying a warmer DAC now, cause the Jotunheim can be a bit bright. My S19 is the neutral version. It might be the amp too. I have a Liquid Carbon coming soon, so I'll know for sure.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #220 of 285
Gotcha. Yep, everyone will have their opinions, and it's good to hear a mix of them. It will help people decide on what to purchase.

But I do think that saying only bad things about a product is a bit aggressive. How about this.... I'm not asking you to say the S19 is good, or change your opinion in any way. Could you express what you think it does well, and that it does not do well?

Just curious to hear your findings depth, rather than its just horrible. I think this will help people understand various opinions a bit better, including yours.

Kindest regards in this request. Not tryin to argue with you, call you out, or anything like that.

I've had nights where I listen to the NOS19 and I'm like, meh, S19 it is..... and I'm foot tappin. Some nights, the other way around.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #221 of 285
The S19. But yeah, unfortunately I do not have the leisure to try before I buy. I'm selling because I'm interested in trying a warmer DAC now, cause the Jotunheim can be a bit bright. My S19 is the neutral version. It might be the amp too. I have a Liquid Carbon coming soon, so I'll know for sure.

The Liquid Carbon will make a difference I bet. Although, I have not heard the Jot, but I have hundreds of hours on a Carbon. Carbon is a little more smooth than the Schiit series in my findings, so that will help your case. The S19 got a bit more smoothed out with lower oversampling, but not really any softer or liquidy as with the NOS 19.

Good luck!

I'm thinking about selling both my black NOS 19 and silver Singularity 19 to fund a NOS 7 or Master 7. Or a larger version of the S 19 if they come out with that, which I don't doubt they will have a $1,500+ balanced....etc version.

^^ totally just realized, yet again, that I do this with every product. I try the mid-line, then I end up selling for a great price to someone in order to fund the "it's too expensive for what it is and you shouldn't buy it" product. Which I'm typically happy with in the end :)

Regardless, I still give AGD props for some awesome products. I also think the S19 could use improvement, but I'm satisfied that's for sure! Yours is a great deal for one that hasn't broken the seal.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #222 of 285
I have no problem believing the DAC-19 sounds just fine. My comments about it were more in the context that if the S19 "outclasses" it, then it must be absolutely horrific. And I don't believe it is.

The Singularity 19 on the other hand ...

When I said it was the worst DAC I've ever heard, I meant it. It is awful. Bad enough that if it was someone's first exposure to dedicated DACs it might put them off the audio-hobby for life. I wish I was joking or exaggerating, but I'm not. Even the free ($9 to buy) Apple dongle for the iPhone 7 sounds markedly better across the board than the S19.

One should never buy technology based on "futures" or "what might be" ... there are no guarantees. And unless you're getting an amazing deal by being an early adopter, you might as well just wait until the "promises" are fulfilled ... since more often than not they aren't ... and even if they are, you'll get them for the same price you would have paid anyway.

Regardless, this is the product that Audio-GD are selling now, and that's what my experiences are based on. And as it stands it's horrific.

While mileage and preferences vary, the measurements on this were horrible, the sound is worse and, as a result I will re-iterate that this is one unit that should not be bought without an audition (which I appreciate is rather difficult to do with Audio-GD). And if you audition one, and still decide to buy it ... make sure that's the actual unit you'll be getting.

I don't understand why you guys did all these measurements on that other site but never tried to contact Kingwa to see if he had an explanation or confirmation. No one contacted him to see if it was defective or if he thought you should get a replacement. This is the first thing that should have happened. Audio-gd has always been very responsive to any questions I've had. Instead, any suggestion that it might have been damaged or was defective was blown off or shot down.

Hey, whatever. But don't expect me to buy into it on your sample size of 1 when my experience is completely different.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #223 of 285
But I do think that saying only bad things about a product is a bit aggressive.

If I was being aggressive about it, my comments would read very differently. As it is I'm saying that what I'm hearing is the worst DAC I've ever heard, which is true, by a considerable margin - and that anyone considering buying one of these things should go out of their way to audition it first.

How about this.... I'm not asking you to say the S19 is good, or change your opinion in any way. Could you express what you think it does well, and that it does not do well?

The power switch works. Especially the "off" position. Which you'll want to use. Probably very shortly after turning it on. Though, sadly, the switchgear on this unit feels cheap, coarse and notchy. The actual dial/buttons are nicely finished, but that just serves to throw into sharp relief that they feel quite tacky in actual operation.

The physical box is quite large and seems sturdy. It was bigger than I expected, though superficially it feels a bit cheaper than I'd expect given it's outward appearance. The basic finish looks quite good, although the anodization or paint, or whatever is on the outside of the thing, has not worn well even over the relatively short period that has elapsed since it was purchased.

If you need your DAC to double as a something to prop open a door, or to stand on to reach a shelf, then this might well be the unit you're after.

But sonically?

Sometimes there is nothing good you can say about a product.

Even if I stretched the truth significantly, which I am not going to do, I'm afraid I can't find anything good to say about the sonic nature of the Singularity 19. There are some aspects of it that are worse than others, relative to itself ... but that's a bit like saying it's better to be missing a leg rather than an arm.

Buying literally anything else that I've heard, even down to $100 data-sheet/CoTS DACs would be a better use of one's time and money. Audio-GD have a whole stable of products that I have to believe would be better choices than this one. The ones I've heard have been. I could, for example, find plenty to say that was positive about, say, the Master 7 (it's not my personal preference, I tend not to get on with PCM1704-based implementations no matter who does them).

Just curious to hear your findings depth, rather than its just horrible. I think this will help people understand various opinions a bit better, including yours.

They can be found elsewhere.

I really don't think you want me to post the details of my experiences with the S19. None of that is going to cast it in a better light. It'll just be a detailed exploration of the numerous areas in which this DAC disappoints.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #224 of 285
I don't understand why you guys did all these measurements on that other site but never tried to contact Kingwa to see if he had an explanation or confirmation. No one contacted him to see if it was defective or if he thought you should get a replacement. This is the first thing that should have happened. Audio-gd has always been very responsive to any questions I've had. Instead, any suggestion that it might have been damaged or was defective was blown off or shot down.

I said I'd be willing to listen to random samples from other customers. This unit was bought via normal channels. Any other customer could have gotten this unit. And there's a high probability that they'd not have the ability or experience to evaluate it critically. Beyond that, when reviewing gear, getting a unit direct from a manufacturer is a bad way to go - especially if it's on the heels of a poor performance.

Sure, it could be a wayward unit - something at the limit of parts tolerances that aren't properly accounted for in the design. It could also be the very best unit they're ever produced - you'd need them all together to know.

Or it could have bad parts as a result of a problem in Audio-GD's supply chain. But the unit was supposedly burned in and tested at the factory for at least 100 hours ... and solid-state devices tend not to fail in such subtle ways after that sort of burn-in. Total failure, sure. Just enough to function properly but not sound good? It'd be a first in my experience. No matter, those are not my problems - those are either design or QA issues and are firmly in Audio-GD's camp.

But don't expect me to buy into it on your sample size of 1 when my experience is completely different.

And how big is your sample size?

--

Not sure why the advice to "try before you buy" here is so hard to swallow.

I'd say the same even if I loved the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back