Audio-GD Master 9
Feb 1, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #1,351 of 2,564
Yeah, sometimes a HP & an amp which are quite good individually & should on paper go well together , do not synergise well actually. Go Figure! I also sometimes use it as a pre-amp in my speaker system (when I want to give my tube pre-amp a rest). It's an equally good pre-amp.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #1,352 of 2,564

Ahh...so its not my ears deceiving me. Perhaps the smooth HEK could be a contributing factor as well. 

Please share your impressions with the HE-6 :) And other dynamics if you have as well.

I am hearing the same thing, but I think this needs to be considered in the audio chain. Both my DAC (Bricasti) and HP (Utopia) are a little forward and punchy, so I don't really miss much with the M9 being a little laid back. It works for my current setup, but maybe with another rig, and a can like the HEK, it could get problematic.

I am starting to think that amps sit on a spectrum of Bright/Punchy/Detailed/Thin to Warm/Musical/Euphonic. It is a matter of taste, and your rig, on where you want to sit on that spectrum.

I found the Taurus too far on the bright side - it irritated me no end with the HD800 + Vega setup I was then using.

The 430HA was too far on the warm side for me. It gives up too much technically to be of interest to me.

The V281 and M9 are more my thing. Neutral-warm, if that makes sense. I can sacrifice some punch for the smoothness of the M9 - I prefer that to having sharp / fatiguing treble.

Still very early days for me with the M9, so please take all this with a hefty lump of salt.

How do you compare the soundstage width, depth layering and vocal positioning of the M9 to that of the V281?

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #1,356 of 2,564
  yes it happened! the he9 is celarly a step forward when compared to the m9 for speed clarity and power.

highly recommended

Does it have more punch than the M9? That's about the only weakness I have found so far in my M9 - it doesn't hit in the bass like the V281 or Taurus. I wouldn't call it limp (like the 430HA), but it doesn't thump like those other amps do.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:09 AM Post #1,357 of 2,564

Does it have more punch than the M9? That's about the only weakness I have found so far in my M9 - it doesn't hit in the bass like the V281 or Taurus. I wouldn't call it limp (like the 430HA), but it doesn't thump like those other amps do.

yes definitely
it has more punch, it goes deeper and it has a better bass control than the m9.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,359 of 2,564
I wonder how many people have HE-9. In my case, I´m in a market for Master 9, seems more than good enough for me 
regular_smile .gif
. Hopefully I´ll be able to purchase it by the end of 2017.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,360 of 2,564
hi all,

i have a he-6 and wanna buy a master 9 to drive it, i can buy modded or unmodded for he-6 , in long term what u suggest, should i buy modded or not, in case of selling he-6 in the future. 
is unmodded standart master 9  enough for he-6?

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,365 of 2,564
Is the modded M9 more powerful, or does it just have more gain to it?

I used to own the M9 with modded HE-6 (which tame the treble) and the combo was still quite shrill sounding.

There's no beating a power amp with HE-6. Doesn't need to be expensive, either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back