Audio-GD HE Series: HE-9, HE-7, HE-1, HE-350
Jan 11, 2015 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 179

negura

Headphoneus Supremus
I did not see a thread on this, but it looks there are four new products listed on the Audio-Gd website:
HE-9 Headamp:
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE-9/HE-9EN.htm
HE-7 DAC:
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE-7/HE7EN.htm
HE-1 preamp:
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE-1/HE-1EN.htm
HE-350 - power regen:
http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/HE350/HE-350EN.htm

In standard Audio-Gd English they are stating:
     The HE series products had the longest term of design and test  in audio-gd history .  Even though audio-gd had release the regenerative power supply products since 2006, and Mr. Kingwa had publish the article in the <Radio & TV> magazine explain the technology detail . 
        The HE series products had finished the design in the New Year of 2014 , we were plan to release them in the date of audio-gd 10  anniversary , but for got the best sound quality and performance, we have even 3 times change the full design for made the compare, and compare different power frequency and voltage, create the longest design term record.
       The HE series products have better detail and dynamic reproduce ,blacker backstage ,better focus and larger sound stage , but the sound is better analog .
       The right saddle must is set on the right horse ,if you had not enough good system units, and had not enough cable match experiences, don't waste the money on HE series products.
      Please note the HE series products are upgrade from Master series, even though the price had a big rate increased but the sound quality had not same rate improved.

The different between HE-1 and HE-9 : The HE-1 is a decent preamp , HE-9 is a preamp with headphone amp, their sound quality is close, if customers want the headphone output, choice the HE-9 is proper.

So from online literature trying to summarize what's changed:
HE-9 vs Master-9: improved THD, beefier transformers, moar caps in the PSU, fewer (8 vs 12) transistors, "regenerative PSU", improved space heater

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #2 of 179
It's not like I only got the M9 some time ago :)) This never ends does it?

Jan 11, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 179
I know how you feel... We're kind of in the same boat...I can't wait to hear a HE-9.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 179
  HE-9 is $650 more than Master-9. He actually has taken some time to bring out new stuff, upgraded designs used to come every few months (Master-5/6/8/9, I have the Master-5).

M-9 is 1550$ and HE-9 is 2399$. That makes a 849$ difference actually. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 179
I decided I shall find how the HE-9 sounds. That will be in about 2 months from now.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #9 of 179
Wow! Those price tags! I'm not sure you can call Audio GD a value proposition these days but I reckon the HE-9 will be special.

I guess it depends with what you compare it with. If you compare it with amps from 4k$ and up it's still a value proposition :p

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 179
I guess it depends with what you compare it with. If you compare it with amps from 4k$ and up it's still a value proposition :p

Yes, I suppose - providing it sounds as good as the handful of 4k solid state amps currently on the market. Audio GD being Audio GD I reckon that's probably the sector they're aiming at.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 179
Yes, I suppose - providing it sounds as good as the handful of 4k solid state amps currently on the market. Audio GD being Audio GD I reckon that's probably the sector they're aiming at.

With these prices, I think you are right. It is good that you can have an Audio-gd amp or DAC from cheapish to expensive but not so much compared to other equivalent products (in relative terms.) I wish I could spend so much for the HE-7 but perhaps many Master 7 will sell their M7 for HE-7. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 179

Well, the M9 did a good job against other TOTL amps out there. This should be better so I don't see why not :D
Guess it's not a bargain but looking at the specs and taking into account that it has a regenerative power supply, I still think is good value for the money.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 179
My only question is whether it is better to have the power regenerator in the chassis or external.  My understanding from the marketing material is that having it in the chassis is better for some reason?

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #14 of 179
The regen inside the unit will provide direct clean power to the other components while the other solution will make power pass through other cables and the amps supply. Also, the power section in the HE-9 is more capable than the one in the M9 besides it being regenerative

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 179
HE-9 has about double the capacitance - true.  The large transformer is for the regen power supply i believe, maybe powers something else also?  Yes having power regenerator for each component might isolate from other compnent better, but this depends how the HE-350 works.

I seem to recall with the PSAudio regenerators they recomment separate power line for each regenerator because of noise dumped back on the line.  Not sure if this system is similar in this regard or not.

Still the HE series is relatively economical, I am just not sure if it is economical vs having one large regenerator seeing as you would need one for the USB-SPDIF and computer as well.  Possibly HE-350 could cover PC and USB-SPDIF but might be cutting it close unless PC is very low power CPU and power supply is very efficient.  My point is I need power filter for these other components as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back