Audeze LCD-4
Apr 14, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #5,776 of 11,995

Agree!

Please Audeze stay away from the non-sense that is happening with other manufactures.

Releasing a newer version every 2 years or less is NON sense. By doing this, you are delivering a negative subliminal message to your customers, you are simply telling them we did bad with the previous version and here is the better one! Remember that when you released the cans, you claimed that you have reached a reference point of sound quality. This reference point is supposed to be extremely hard to beat within 2-5 years. It takes really long time of research and development to build a new reference and if you are not doing so, you are hurting your reputation. 

Well actually Audeze came up with upgraded versions of the linup over the years, 
Remember LCD2 ? then people called it LCD2.1, 2.2 I believe LCD2 also got the Fazor at some point right ?
Then LCD3 that came out with no Fazor, and at some point got the Fazor, People called it LCD3F
Then 2016 revoicing of LCD3 LCDX, 
Then LCD4 100 ohm, and then finally LCD4 200ohm (the 100ohm was a free exchange by Audeze to 200ohm).

I probably missed some upgrades of the lineup, but just to get some kind of perspective.. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #5,777 of 11,995
Hi All,

Used to own the LCD3, due to reliability issues i've moved on.

Currently i have HEKv2, Abyss, Utopia.

Looking at the LCD4 now.

Thoughts vs Utopia/Abyss ?
Reliability of the 200ohm version etc?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #5,778 of 11,995
  Hi All,

Looking at the LCD4 now.

Thanks.

I can only comment on the 200ohm version of LCD4, The diaphragm was basically made with some alumnium layer to strengthen the diaphragm to ensure reliability. I had my LCD4 for about 1 year, no driver failure, and I cant recall reading a mass failure of the driver on forums for the 200ohm version of LCD4 either.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #5,779 of 11,995
  Hi All,

Looking at the LCD4 now.

Thanks.

LCD4 is worth a listening if you liked the SQ of LCD3. More or less the same kind of sound, but better. Better speed, clarity, soundstage etc. IMO. Still richer, fuller and a bit veiled sounding compared to HEKv2, Abyss and Utopia.

Reliability of the 200ohm version seems much better so far. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #5,780 of 11,995
  Actually when I heard the Utopia a few months ago, I lost the lush to purchase it. It is superb in just one area, the higher tones and its damn accuracy there, but for overall listening, lcd4 beats Utopia..I worked out a small EQ in foobar, that lifts the sound in higher tones just a bit. My main problem now is doing proper EQ with Tidal.. I tried this opensource software that sits between the digital output of tidal and the usb, but I could clearly hear the soundstage get a bit blurry, which I dont get with foobar slight eq.

I was in a similar situation a year back, looking for a way to EQ for use with Tidal. Then I found Roon. I used Roon to stream Tidal to HQplayer, I used HQplayer to apply FIR filter. Now Roon allows to do Parametric EQ and I think it will fit your bill perfectly. Roon integrates seamlessly with Tidal, works on both MAC and PC. It also organizes your music library nicely (does a lot of other things too depending on your use case). The only down side is, it is not free..., but you  can try their free trial.Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions regarding your setup.

Apr 15, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #5,781 of 11,995

I was in a similar situation a year back, looking for a way to EQ for use with Tidal. Then I found Roon. I used Roon to stream Tidal to HQplayer, I used HQplayer to apply FIR filter. Now Roon allows to do Parametric EQ and I think it will fit your bill perfectly. Roon integrates seamlessly with Tidal, works on both MAC and PC. It also organizes your music library nicely (does a lot of other things too depending on your use case). The only down side is, it is not free..., but you  can try their free trial.Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions regarding your setup.

Thanks for the tip, I have considered Roon a few times, just didnt know about the EQ part there, since this is basically just a laptop playing and literally 4 units (dac, amp, usb galv, usb to aes) + the LCD4. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #5,782 of 11,995

LCD4 is worth a listening if you liked the SQ of LCD3. More or less the same kind of sound, but better. Better speed, clarity, soundstage etc. IMO. Still richer, fuller and a bit veiled sounding compared to HEKv2, Abyss and Utopia.

Reliability of the 200ohm version seems much better so far. 
if ur lcd4 is veiled ur using the wrong equipment for it i believe. i find lcd4, when matched with a good matching hardware that lifts its presence area. to me it has the best grainless kind of treble where it sounds absolutely beautiful without the grittiness of most other headphones when pushed into higher dbs. it might not have the articulation n microdetailing of the hd800sdr(well i dont think lcds r meant for that kind of acoustic perfection) its more about being grand, lush and 'expensive'sounding. its the closest thing to my magico bookshelves compared to other headphones ive tried before. Utopia is just another overhyped headphone to me, i dont feel that their transducers are as capable overall.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #5,786 of 11,995
I left them on the shelf for probably 3 weeks - when I picked them up the lacquer is sticky! I live in California - dry weather and such... What man?
At this point I regret buying them. I will probably sell them - take a loss and walk away from Audeze. What a joke!
I never had any problem with my Beyer or Senny - they may not have upscale looks but the sound and manufacturing quality are there.

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #5,787 of 11,995
Doesn't look too bad so at least you caught it early, have you contacted Audeze about a repair? Also, do you leave them directly on the shelf or do you have a stand for them?

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #5,789 of 11,995
Directly on shelf. This shouldn't matter. Don't make a headphone that's so easily damageable and price it at 4k...

No it shouldn't be an issue but I would definitely suggest getting a stand for it in the future, wondering if laying flat on a shelf may cause this warping? Either way definitely contact Audeze about it and see what they say, sorry to see you have to go through something like this with $4000 dollar headphones though

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #5,790 of 11,995
I left them on the shelf for probably 3 weeks - when I picked them up the lacquer is sticky! I live in California - dry weather and such... What man?
At this point I regret buying them. I will probably sell them - take a loss and walk away from Audeze. What a joke!.

i agree. if it were me, i'd probably just kill myself. that's how serious this is.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back