Audeze LCD-4
Apr 17, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #5,806 of 11,994
  Wow from 500-4000$ and so many QC issues for premium products. I have to say that after I heard about Audeze LCD-PRO my heart skipped a beat and I finally found my pair of headphones (uses premium materials, looks not like a DIY project(yes I'm thinking every LCD piece)) but after reading numerous threads about quality issues with glued parts and driver failures...maybe going for an Audeze product isn't such a good idea. Not trying to be too critical 'cause I haven't had any experience with Audeze but sorry, any money that gets you a broken product in 2 years of normal usage is a bad product. I just don't understand it. Buy a TV...works 10 years like nothing, buy a Mac computer works without a hitch for 3 years now, even smartphones now last 3+ years and they ALL have much more complex internals. Samsung admitted their fault and pulled their Note phones in a few months...I bet they won't be having any more stuff like that happening cause they had their investigation and all. I get that Audeze isn't in the same boat as Samsung or Apple but why not strive to be? Get your heads together, offer 5 year warranty, have the best possible product on the block and start convincing me to buy LCD-PRO which by now should have a thread of it's own!!! Don't go the publicity way like the latest Avenged Sevenfold album...go the Metallica way and have a best campaign in the last decade sell the hell out of LCD PRO which for some reason I feel will be your best seller..but convince me the problems are gone or will be properly dealt with (like "or we give you your money back"!!.

Thank you :)

PS but seriously start talking about LCD PRO NOW!. sorry for getting of LCD4 course :)

To be fair, the LCD4 hasnt had that many issues, as far as I can recall there were mostly one huge issue with LCD4 and that was the 100 ohm version that came out mid-2015, and got quickly replaced by Audeze with a 200 ohm version as the reliability of the diapgragm wasnt as good as they hoped for (possible driver failure). After that LCD4 has performed well it seems, few people have really complained, and Audeze seems to me atleast to have picked up the support and dealt with each on their support site. Even though anyone bought a Audeze HP from a dealer, they can register on the Audeze support website with their HP serial number, and get support directly from Audeze, which I did a year ago myself. Now if you look at other TOTL headphone threads, for instance Focal Utopia, theres been all sorts of issues, where the units were DOA and driver failure after burn-in, and cracking sounds of plastic after some time used while moving head. Now if you compare LCD4 production to the Focal Utopia, the LCD4 had alot less issues in total, and so far I havent seen mass-driver failure. 

About LCD-PRO isnt that the new pro version of LCD-X which is lighter for professionals to use them 8 hours a day for mixing ? I guess we cant talk about a product which doesnt even have a product page yet, and people barely seen it. ?

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #5,807 of 11,994

thank you for the comment and explaining the Focal issues...again wow...did not know that. Would love to know what is the most occurring issue with headphones is (build materials, drivers, glue...) and just propose companies to stop using that...I know naive and easy to say but it would be great for companies to build products that cost a lot of money and be built to last , and not cost a lot of money and have expiration date. I get that products break but companies don't get that not only does a product break but it triggers a whole lengthy process about it....I have to claim my warranty if there is one, send a bunch of emails and phone calls to representatives, ship it/carry it to repair, wait for it....and hope for the best. I don't resent that stuff breaks I resent that by buying a product I don't buy a possible stressful experience! If there isn't any then 4000$ or 50$ makes sense...if not then they don't respect me as a human and their customer...I don't need negative stress period...does that make sense to anyone or am I just weird :/
I am actually truly sorry for the man that has the paint meltdown issue, I mean what the hell...have a video conference with the guy...send your representative to his house collect the damaged product give him a brand new one...and ask for forgiveness, or else transfer his money back and politely ask to send the item back...and if he wants he can buy another one from his refund. Companies have to fight for customers not the other way around!
...I took it upon myself to start a new thread about LCD Pro...let's see :)

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #5,808 of 11,994

thank you for the comment and explaining the Focal issues...again wow...did not know that. Would love to know what is the most occurring issue with headphones is (build materials, drivers, glue...) and just propose companies to stop using that...I know naive and easy to say but it would be great for companies to build products that cost a lot of money and be built to last , and not cost a lot of money and have expiration date. I get that products break but companies don't get that not only does a product break but it triggers a whole lengthy process about it....I have to claim my warranty if there is one, send a bunch of emails and phone calls to representatives, ship it/carry it to repair, wait for it....and hope for the best. I don't resent that stuff breaks I resent that by buying a product I don't buy a possible stressful experience! If there isn't any then 4000$ or 50$ makes sense...if not then they don't respect me as a human and their customer...I don't need negative stress period...does that make sense to anyone or am I just weird :/
I am actually truly sorry for the man that has the paint meltdown issue, I mean what the hell...have a video conference with the guy...send your representative to his house collect the damaged product give him a brand new one...and ask for forgiveness, or else transfer his money back and politely ask to send the item back...and if he wants he can buy another one from his refund. Companies have to fight for customers not the other way around!
...I took it upon myself to start a new thread about LCD Pro...let's see :)

The guy was from California right ? we dont know what Audeze is proposing to the person on their private support chat. With the person going quiet is usually a good sign, we just get the outburst here, and then people calm down once the manufacturer does its support part. If hes from California, he can literally get immediate support as Audeze is literally there in Los Angeles. The manufacturers usually keep their support private with their customers. Its their right to do so.

But again, I had very positive experience with Audeze, and Im located in Norway which is half a world away. And the LCD4 has performed beyond my expectations really as I could change parts within the system or add parts and the HP just kept going with me instead of working against me and the HP sings to me if I do something wrong as its audible like going in the wrong direction with my setup.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #5,809 of 11,994
I'm not sure about the 'guy from California' going quiet as his issue is being resolved... But as for me, it's a public holiday in my country today, following the weekend, so there's nothing I can do about getting reference/ticket numbers from the distributor, etc... That, and I have ultra low expectations on this matter (that 'shouting against thunder' feeling)

By far, my absolute BEST customer experience on audio equipment has to be with Magna-HiFi (for my Audio- GD NOS 11) and WooAudio (for source and refunding some tubes.. and maybe soon, the purchase of an Ether C Flow)...

Now, who can guess my worse customer experience on audio equipment? :p

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #5,810 of 11,994
Really need to stop with the hand-wringing on here.  Of all the LCD4s that have been manufactured, few have had actual, real problems.  As was mentioned, the only real reoccurring issue was with the 100 ohm drivers...which they took care of for everyone.  Everything else...looks like it's been the occasional, strange issue with the wood finish.  The sky is hardly falling.  My pair has been flawless, as have almost all the rest.  Let's all relax.

You want to know about owning unreliable products?  Try owning an out-of-warranty E60 M5.  None of you would dare complain about a headphone that is simply going to be repaired for free for you after that :)

As far as I can tell Audeze is doing a great job addressing the issues on here as they arise...have yet to hear of anyone not getting their issue resolved in the end. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #5,811 of 11,994
Thoroughly enjoying a Sunday at home with the LCD-4 and Headtrip. I really missed my LCD-4's while they were away, and am very happy to have them back home :)

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #5,812 of 11,994
Nice! Not sure about that amp though. You sure it has enough power?
wink_face.gif
:) :thumbsup::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #5,814 of 11,994
I think he's well aware what Headtrip brings to the table :joy:

Apr 27, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #5,815 of 11,994
Just an update to whoever following my matter. I will finally receive the LCD-4 back next week. I bought this headphones in December and listened to it for a few weeks before it was gone until now. I'll list this LCD-4 on the Buy/Sell section immediately after I received it next week for those who're interested in a decent deal on this barely-used headphones.

Thank you for reaching out to me last week, Mark. I do appreciate your attention to customer's concern, and that had even made me feel somehow apologetic if this had caused any problem to you or your company. Honestly, I had never even known what cocobolo or elbony wood are or all the regulation/politics behind them. I simply went to your website, read the technical spec., love the look of the LCD-4 and placed the order. When I received the headphones, I was disappointed of the wood grain/color because it was not even close to what I had expected from the pictures - and 50% of my decision was based on the look of it on the advertisement pictures (LCD-4 is not easily found in Michigan where I can test-listen to confidently say I made the decision purely based on SQ first). Anyhow, I tried to forget about the wood color or look of it for two weeks. But after spending $4,000 and having to force myself to like something that I didn't pick or expect at the first place, it's really hard to swallow. I was on the border of contacting Audeze until I posted a picture up here and received some comments that agreed with my opinion on the color tone of the wood rings. At that time, I realized that if I didn't like it the first time, I'm not gonna like it two weeks or a year from now. So I contacted my dealer about it. Luckily, I still have record of me asking and confirming with my dealer before placing my order.
Again, I'm glad that you reached out to me and promised to replace the headphones with a darker color wood all around the rings. Although it won't be the luxurious cocobolo (or whatever wood that was) red color, I can settle with the darker ebony color. Just NO cheap yellow wood ring please.

Once again, let this case closed because the issue has been resolved by Audeze. However, to prevent future confusion, I suggest Audeze update the advertisement pictures because not everyone reads through the entire "LCD-4" thread to know the history and evolution of the the LCD-4 wood rings prior to making the purchase.

May 5, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #5,817 of 11,994
Think I saw that someone else did something similar...but I'm looking to polish up my LCD4s a bit. Finish is looking just a bit dull and they could definitely use a clean & shine. Wondering what would be best to use on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back