Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jun 27, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #2,836 of 7,352
Won't the ear hooks snap? they don't look/feel like malleable plastic.
Don't think it is earwax as I clean them every so often, but let do some more cleaning and will get back with an answer. It doesn't come from my ear or the driver, I think it comes from the point of contact of tips to my ear.
In my experience, the part that goes around your ear can be bent quite successfully. I bent my clear ones a lot, back and forth to experiment, without any problems. I think some people have tried heating them with a hair drier first, to make them more mouldable. But you shouldn't take the hooks on and off the isines too often, as the part that attaches to the isines is quite stiff and can break easily (I've broken two hooks from taking them off the isines).

Jun 27, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #2,837 of 7,352
2 questions regarding the isine 20's. 1. Has anyone noticed that the new cypher update lacks a bit of sparkle, and also needs more volume to get the same amount of loudness than before the update? What changed on the update as I almost prefer the orig. sound signature.

2. For whatever reason, the bass seems to be very muddy and not clear on the 20's. It goes low enough but the bass seems sloppy and not articulate for some reason. Do these need more power above and beyond the cypher to tighten it up? The double bass on Diana Kralls love scenes is terrible. Mids and highs are very nice though. Lastly, using the 3.5mm cable takes too much away imo. Although I have yet to hear these connected to a good amp.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,838 of 7,352
A lot of people can't fit the earlocks, so you're not alone lol. I had the same issue with the earhooks until I tried bending them, that really helped. Just bend them slightly in towards your head, away from the drivers, so they get a more three dimensional shape.
The crunch could be ear wax or something maybe? Is it coming from your ear canal or the driver itself? Maybe foam tips could help as they sit pretty securely and seals well. But you would probably lose a little soundstage.
I tried bending the earhooks, heated them with hair dryer, But they always go back to their original shape. I am not willing to bend them more, worrying that they might break.

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #2,840 of 7,352
2 questions regarding the isine 20's. 1. Has anyone noticed that the new cypher update lacks a bit of sparkle, and also needs more volume to get the same amount of loudness than before the update? What changed on the update as I almost prefer the orig. sound signature.

The entire purpose of that update was to allow for lower volume settings. IIRC, the high setting is still as high as before, but the low is lower, so there's a wider overall spread. (Previously many had found that the lowest setting on the cipher cable was already too high.) I don't believe there were any other changes made.

Jun 27, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2,844 of 7,352
They don't, for the most part. LOL!

If I'm seated and not moving much I can get away with using them for a while, but they will eventually come lose or fall out. Anything other than seated and fairly still, forget about it.
i just stick with the hook for now, the comfort is definitely an issue for me here, but the sound....woa....i didnt even touched any EQ yet (kinda like the signature for now). Wanna test the cipher but not apple fan. however, the highs...recessed a little?

Jun 28, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #2,846 of 7,352
i just stick with the hook for now, the comfort is definitely an issue for me here, but the sound....woa....i didnt even touched any EQ yet (kinda like the signature for now). Wanna test the cipher but not apple fan. however, the highs...recessed a little?
the cipher eq brings back the highs :wink: It's like lifting a veil off the music.

Jun 28, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,848 of 7,352
i know this is not in the price range comparison but how does it compare to SE846? My friend said there's a huge difference. He went aboard so I cant borrow and compare. Anyone?
I have the 20's and 846's. The 846's have a bit more detail, are more direct, and more spatially precise. The 20's are more open and spacious. Owning the 20's does not make me want to sell my 846's, and owning the 846's does not make me want to return my 20's. They are different, and both enjoyable. If I want to hear every bit of detail, between the two it would definitely be the 846's. If I want to relax and feel like I am not really missing much, the 20's would get the nod.
I use them both with my Iphone 6s, Onkyo DPX1, and various other devices. I don't have a cipher cable. I did try to buy one after the fact, and Audeze quoted me $100. I just hate to pay double what it would have cost me to have it included... so I won't buy it. I guess I should have just sent them back and reordered.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2,849 of 7,352
I have the 20's and 846's. The 846's have a bit more detail, are more direct, and more spatially precise. The 20's are more open and spacious. Owning the 20's does not make me want to sell my 846's, and owning the 846's does not make me want to return my 20's. They are different, and both enjoyable. If I want to hear every bit of detail, between the two it would definitely be the 846's. If I want to relax and feel like I am not really missing much, the 20's would get the nod.
I use them both with my Iphone 6s, Onkyo DPX1, and various other devices. I don't have a cipher cable. I did try to buy one after the fact, and Audeze quoted me $100. I just hate to pay double what it would have cost me to have it included... so I won't buy it. I guess I should have just sent them back and reordered.
It's odd how everyone seems to hear the 20s differently. I've also owned both the 20s and 846s and the 20s by far are the most detailed. Its timbre is also fantastic. The 846s sound very personal and slightly congested, but are spatially very good like you said, and detail is also good, however I find the 20s to trump the 846s in every aspect except the 846's bass response.

Jun 28, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #2,850 of 7,352
IMG_2557.JPG This is the original cipher eq, Kmann posted it back on page 80andsomething.
I'm not missing alot am I...
I've searched the forum for EQ that can make it similar to cipher. do you have a setting that I can try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back