Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
May 21, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #2,356 of 7,352
I'm seriously looking at these. I had the opportunity to audition a pair of isine 20 a few weeks ago and was extremely impressed. How much difference is there between the 10 and 20. I am reading many conflicting opinions.

Also JMHO, but I cannot figure out why anyone would want to pair an end-game iem with anything LESS than a mid or hi end DAP / AMP. An iphone would simply be out of the question for my sonic tastes.

May 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,357 of 7,352
I'm seriously looking at these. I had the opportunity to audition a pair of isine 20 a few weeks ago and was extremely impressed. How much difference is there between the 10 and 20. I am reading many conflicting opinions.

Also JMHO, but I cannot figure out why anyone would want to pair an end-game iem with anything LESS than a mid or hi end DAP / AMP. An iphone would simply be out of the question for my sonic tastes.

Doesn't using a cypher cable (through lightning port) allows in giving a considerably higher 'power' (please correct if any mistakes) than your standard 3.5 mm jack. Regardless, would be interested to see how a 50$ cable compares with a high end DAP (DAC)/AMP combo. If somehow, I am getting the same sound quality as a high end portable DAC AMP combo (mid-end to some, looking at $500 range) through the iPhone's lightning port, with supposedly better mic performance as well (must not be useful to most, but an added bonus for others, I suppose), I would be more than happy.

Would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on the same. (Hope that there is a version, that comes to support android phones as well).

May 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #2,358 of 7,352
Been there done that. Carrying multiple stack is not always fun. Isine20 with cypher cable is surprisingly capable. I prefer this simple combo over Sony Zx2 or mojo + CA Andromeda or Vega. Think about that for sec. I could've saved s@:t loads $$$ if i went straight to the iSine.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2,359 of 7,352
Completely agree! No need for such large images!

A great review with lots of good information and observations. I agree I wish the splitter on the headphone cable had a bit more length. I have an outrageous beard and the splitter is a bit constraining.

May 21, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,360 of 7,352

I am right there with you - which is why I am so surprised and conflicted that the sound coming out of my iphone + cipher cable seems to be more enjoyable than using it with my sony zx2 dap. I tried it on my onkyo dp-x1 dap and that was the worst sounding of the three to me (though i would love to try the 2.5mm trrs out with the i20s).

Between the zx2 or iphone+cipher I wouldnt say one is better than the other - just different. the zx2 is smooth, full, weighted and punchy. the iphone + cipher seems more airy with a little more sparkle and extension on the highs, and a bit more power down low.

boggles my mind that a tiny dac/amp in the cipher cable can sound so good. but it does seem like some dsp/eq magic making it so good - when it comes to power delivery and fast energy transitions, the zx2 seems to have it beat in my obervations. need to do more testing - wish there was a good way to do a quick a/b test between the two without having to unplug the cables and remove the units from my ears to switch!

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #2,361 of 7,352
I am right there with you - which is why I am so surprised and conflicted that the sound coming out of my iphone + cipher cable seems to be more enjoyable than using it with my sony zx2 dap. I tried it on my onkyo dp-x1 dap and that was the worst sounding of the three to me (though i would love to try the 2.5mm trrs out with the i20s).

Between the zx2 or iphone+cipher I wouldnt say one is better than the other - just different. the zx2 is smooth, full, weighted and punchy. the iphone + cipher seems more airy with a little more sparkle and extension on the highs, and a bit more power down low.

boggles my mind that a tiny dac/amp in the cipher cable can sound so good. but it does seem like some dsp/eq magic making it so good - when it comes to power delivery and fast energy transitions, the zx2 seems to have it beat in my obervations. need to do more testing - wish there was a good way to do a quick a/b test between the two without having to unplug the cables and remove the units from my ears to switch!
There is quite a bit of EQ on the cipher cable, up to +6db in some places(4khz I believe). There's a post back around page 83 or so with the EQ curve used in the default cipher sound.

To clarify, even when the audeze app is set flat, there's still a pretty large EQ being applied.

May 21, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #2,363 of 7,352
There is quite a bit of EQ on the cipher cable, up to +6db in some places(4khz I believe). There's a post back around page 83 or so with the EQ curve used in the default cipher sound.

To clarify, even when the audeze app is set flat, there's still a pretty large EQ being applied.

Thanks for this! Probably explained the ringing on piano pieces. I for one, found the tuning rather aggressive and don't use the Cipher cable.

May 21, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #2,364 of 7,352
Thank you for the continuous feedback. When we started the journey to make iSine's we deliberately set aside preconceived notions on how in-ears should sound. The iSine's have been one of the most well received products we have had. Based on feedback, we have added a few more options to the iSine10 and 20.

1. Groovy Tips - We had select head-fi users beta test these. The response was overwhelmingly positive.This complements the existing smooth silicone eartips. It offers better retention force and comfort. For many people the seal will also be better. Will be available in s/m/l.

2. Earhooks - We are adding longer earhooks. The stem is longer and accommodates more ear sizes.

All iSine headphones shipped from May 1st will include these, in addition to the existing ear tips and ear hooks.

For people who already own iSine10 or 20s, you can order these here.
https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/ear-groovy-kit

Shipping is free in the US. For customers who bought them outside the US, the dealers / distributors should have these in the next two weeks. You can get them locally.

Looking good Audeze! I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on the iSINE 20s - we can't keep them in-stock, our customers love them!

I'm just looking around for a cheaper alternative to the Reference 8 - IEM cable from ALO Audio to complete the look. If I find something, I'll buy a set for sure.

// Alex

May 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #2,365 of 7,352
Received the i20's today and have been listening to them for a few hours out of my iPhone 7 Plus and the Cipher Cable - Very Nice :)

I was a little worried about if I would enjoy the bass on these after coming from the Sony Z5 - but these have not disappointed. I haven't listened to them back to back yet - but the i20 has less bass, but it 'feels' much better. Tight, deep and impactful... I don't have the audiophile vocabulary to describe it, but as a recovering bass-head I know I like these :)

I think the fit of these will take a bit of getting used to - they feel very 'light' in my ear and it feels like the seal is very easily broken when I take them out (no issues when listening) which is a bit different from what I'm used to - and I'll be damned if I can work out how to get the earlocks to fit into any grooves in my ears (but that's probably my anatomy's fault). The earhooks work just fine :) Very comfy though.

Can't wait to spend a little more time with these.

May 22, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #2,366 of 7,352
When you wear the iSine does it affect your breathing at all and sound like you've got a cold? You can get a similar sensation when wearing earbuds like the Apple Earpods. I wondered if the iSine has a similar feel or if it is like an open headphone.

May 22, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #2,367 of 7,352
When you wear the iSine does it affect your breathing at all and sound like you've got a cold? You can get a similar sensation when wearing earbuds like the Apple Earpods. I wondered if the iSine has a similar feel or if it is like an open headphone.

I've never had this feeling from any IEM, nor heard of it... but it is very much like an open headphone

May 22, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #2,368 of 7,352
How bad is the sound leakage.? I am planning to get isine 10 use at work and normally listen at medium volume level. R is this a bad choice. ?

Even though these are an open design, sound leakage is minimal. In my office with a typical level of noise (phones, conversation, fluorescent lights) there is no way somebody in the cube next to mine is going to hear these. If somebody is sitting right next to you in a library-quiet environment they might know you are listening to *something* but IMHO it should not be distracting.

(In comparison, I would never use my Senn HD598s in an office, sound leakage is significant.)

May 22, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,369 of 7,352
For those who have been using their iSines with an android device, have you been able to find a cable with mic that works well (without the molding issues) , without any major issues.
I'll also be very interested to hear about people's experience with other dac/amps, which perform better than the cypher cable. It would be interesting to know whether it is possible that a 50$ cable with dac/amp with customized eq settings should be better (based on what i have been reading in this thread, and others) than the normal cables plugged with a good portal dac/amps that cost 300-500$ like a Geekout v2+/iFi Micro iDSD/Chord Mojo

I ordered this cable with a mic and remote a few weeks ago:

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5016

Still waiting on it, but I'll give my impressions when it arrives

May 22, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #2,370 of 7,352
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back