Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Apr 29, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,207 of 7,352
Has anyone heard the Monoprice m1060 and can compare them to the iSine 20?

Here's a copy of my impressions back when I got them.

"Compared to my Nighthawk, the bass is leaner on the 1060, more separated from the rest of the spectrum. The Nighthawk had more bass impact and quantity at the sacrifice of separation, bit of bleed in comparison to the 1060. Mids on the nighthawk are a little veiled compared to the 1060, but the 1060's mids sound farther away/pushed back despite being cleaner. Up to the treble, the Nighthawk is a slightly hotter than the 1060 and I feel the 1060 edges the NH out in quality while being more relaxed. Treble has more "air" to it from the 1060, less congested feeling than the NH. Soundstage is slightly bigger on the 1060, imaging is about equal between both cans.

The Nighthawk is more "fun" while being a little uncontrolled at the extremities, sucked out and slightly veiled in the middle. The NH also destroys the 1060 in build and comfort. All things considered I'd say the 1060 has the better, more natural sound but both are about equal in how much I value them.

In comparison to the iSine20 with 3.5mm: These are surprisingly close in tonality to my ears. I hate to disappoint with how short this section is but honestly, the 1060 has a bit more air in the treble and some maybe more sub bass(Listened to a few more test tracks, I can definitely feel more with the i20 while I hear more at the lowest ranges with the 1060, so the 1060 has more low bass while the isine has more sub bass) while having a leaner, less lush midrange. This will probably be what stops be from keeping the 1060, as I get nearly the same sound from my i20 already and I use that for at home listening as well as portable use. Soundstage is about equal on both of these(a testament to the awesome i20).

In comparison to the iSine20 with Cipher: Theeeerree's the air. The i20 is now more airy than the 1060, skewing a bit more treble focused than the 1060. It's the more fun can too. Hard to even consider keeping the 1060 with the sound I'm getting from the i20. The i20 in this config has better sub bass, better controlled low bass, lush but balanced mids and excellent treble air and detail.

I think the 1060 will definitely shake some things up. They're comparing pretty well to my two $600 MSRP cans(yes the iSine is a "can", iems don't really compare to it in terms of sound quality and presentation). In the end though I don't think I need them. The i20 does what they do, better, in a portable and more comfortable form. The Nighthawk comes close to the 1060 but makes some trade offs in quality to be the more enjoyable and fun casual listen.

So that's all for now. HD800 in tomorrow, but that's not really a serious comparison. More just there for the people who will inevitably ask."

I've since returned the 1060 and have no want to get it again, even with the improvements in QC. Those impressions were back in February and now I feel the i20 and HD800s are near equals as far as my enjoyment and use. The 1060 has lots of hype and they're great for $300, but I'd personally add another $50 and get an i10 at least unless you're uncomfortable with in ears.

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #2,208 of 7,352
The i20s are simply outstanding! Their massive soundstaging is really impressive. I never thought IEMs could sound like full sized headphones!

I used them a bit this afternoon to start taking some notes for my upcoming review and I was often thinking one of my kids had come into the room, but nope...that was the iSines...never had that really happen with an IEM before.

Apr 30, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #2,209 of 7,352
Any way to use these with the Cypher cable from a Mac? Is there a USB-to-Lightning adaptor available?

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,211 of 7,352
Here's a copy of my impressions back when I got them.

"Compared to my Nighthawk, the bass is leaner on the 1060, more separated from the rest of the spectrum. The Nighthawk had more bass impact and quantity at the sacrifice of separation, bit of bleed in comparison to the 1060. Mids on the nighthawk are a little veiled compared to the 1060, but the 1060's mids sound farther away/pushed back despite being cleaner. Up to the treble, the Nighthawk is a slightly hotter than the 1060 and I feel the 1060 edges the NH out in quality while being more relaxed. Treble has more "air" to it from the 1060, less congested feeling than the NH. Soundstage is slightly bigger on the 1060, imaging is about equal between both cans.

The Nighthawk is more "fun" while being a little uncontrolled at the extremities, sucked out and slightly veiled in the middle. The NH also destroys the 1060 in build and comfort. All things considered I'd say the 1060 has the better, more natural sound but both are about equal in how much I value them.

In comparison to the iSine20 with 3.5mm: These are surprisingly close in tonality to my ears. I hate to disappoint with how short this section is but honestly, the 1060 has a bit more air in the treble and some maybe more sub bass(Listened to a few more test tracks, I can definitely feel more with the i20 while I hear more at the lowest ranges with the 1060, so the 1060 has more low bass while the isine has more sub bass) while having a leaner, less lush midrange. This will probably be what stops be from keeping the 1060, as I get nearly the same sound from my i20 already and I use that for at home listening as well as portable use. Soundstage is about equal on both of these(a testament to the awesome i20).

In comparison to the iSine20 with Cipher: Theeeerree's the air. The i20 is now more airy than the 1060, skewing a bit more treble focused than the 1060. It's the more fun can too. Hard to even consider keeping the 1060 with the sound I'm getting from the i20. The i20 in this config has better sub bass, better controlled low bass, lush but balanced mids and excellent treble air and detail.

I think the 1060 will definitely shake some things up. They're comparing pretty well to my two $600 MSRP cans(yes the iSine is a "can", iems don't really compare to it in terms of sound quality and presentation). In the end though I don't think I need them. The i20 does what they do, better, in a portable and more comfortable form. The Nighthawk comes close to the 1060 but makes some trade offs in quality to be the more enjoyable and fun casual listen.

So that's all for now. HD800 in tomorrow, but that's not really a serious comparison. More just there for the people who will inevitably ask."

I've since returned the 1060 and have no want to get it again, even with the improvements in QC. Those impressions were back in February and now I feel the i20 and HD800s are near equals as far as my enjoyment and use. The 1060 has lots of hype and they're great for $300, but I'd personally add another $50 and get an i10 at least unless you're uncomfortable with in ears.

Thanks! Good to see others praising the isine 20 as much as me, haha. I was starting to worry I might be going crazy or trying to justify my purchase, as IMO the isine 20+cipher is on par with LCD2's... (slightly less bass and fullness, but more air and detail).

Only reason I'm considering buying LCD2's or m1060 is to have a little variation, and I want a headphone I can enjoy from my desktop setup with windows-PC and Aune x1s (I am not a huge fan of the isine with analog cable). Yes, I have tried to eq the isine to cipher-sound with the eq posted by Audeze on page 88 or something, but I still don't think it sounds as good as the cipher... Also, it's a hassle having to change between cipher and analog cable all the time, and I'm afraid the connectors will loosen over time if I switch too much...

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,212 of 7,352
If you're looking for variation, I wouldn't bother with the 1060 or LCD-2. If instead pick up a Koss 950 to get some real nice electrostatic goodness. Or go with a brighter can like HD700s, Beyerdynamic T1s, or save for a HD800.

The 1060 and LCD2 will be side grades with very similar sound sigs to your iSine. The above cans are all endgame/flagship level(except the HD700 which is just a stupid deal for the $300 I've seen it go fore lately) and they will each have a different sound sig to the iSine.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,213 of 7,352
If you're looking for variation, I wouldn't bother with the 1060 or LCD-2. If instead pick up a Koss 950 to get some real nice electrostatic goodness. Or go with a brighter can like HD700s, Beyerdynamic T1s, or save for a HD800.

The 1060 and LCD2 will be side grades with very similar sound sigs to your iSine. The above cans are all endgame/flagship level(except the HD700 which is just a stupid deal for the $300 I've seen it go fore lately) and they will each have a different sound sig to the iSine.

Thank you for your insight, much appreciated. I will probably save up for something more high-end then.
I must admit, the koss esp950 and new stax sr-l300 have tingled my interest. What bothers me is that I will only be spending half of the money on the actual headphone, and half on the amp, when I already have a decent headphone amp. Also, lcd2's are pretty easy to buy used in Norway (where I live), whereas no one are selling used electrostats.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,215 of 7,352
Hey guys,
It's been a week with the iSine 10s,and I'm really impressed.The iSines just changed my perception how EQ can make headphones sound significantly better!!!Now I use these with cipher with my iphone 6S,so I've since used a lot of different apps from app store.And I was surprised with jetaudio plus!!

All of those who listen with cipher cable,I'd recommend you to try it out...I'm just curious if it's just my ears or this player is really spectacular....btw,here is my current profile...
IMG_5229.png IMG_5228.png

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2,216 of 7,352
If you like the house sig, but the treble is too sharp, then you are answering your own question here - use the app and turn down the treble. Or, do like I do and turn up the bass which will help counter the treble naturally.

Try this:

32hz - +3
64hz +4
125hz +7
(these three can vary a bit)
4khz -2 (this is where i find them to be a bit bright with the cypher)

right around these settings gives the whole sound sig a "closer to reality" feel to me, though I almost exclusively use the analogue cable so i haven't put in extensive time with it.
if that doesnt work for you experiment with the other treble. With so few eq bands to play with you ought to be able to get the sound you want just by playing around.
also make sure you upgrade to the new firmware, if you haven't - the volume issue has been fixed and it gives you a much greater range of adjustment.

Thanks Br777, I know these settings were posted for the 20s, but I find they take the edge off the iSine10s and help a bit with fatigue. Soundstage seems a bit wider and deeper as well. I am using stock large tips with earhooks. I know you don't listen to cypher as much but any other recommended eq settings with Audeze app via cypher? Take a listen to Saturn by Sleeping At Last (song builds so give it some time), with these settings and switch back and forth between them and the Flat settings.

May 2, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #2,217 of 7,352
Thanks Br777, I know these settings were posted for the 20s, but I find they take the edge off the iSine10s and help a bit with fatigue. Soundstage seems a bit wider and deeper as well. I am using stock large tips with earhooks. I know you don't listen to cypher as much but any other recommended eq settings with Audeze app via cypher? Take a listen to Saturn by Sleeping At Last (song builds so give it some time), with these settings and switch back and forth between them and the Flat settings.

My settings are +3db on 125hz and down, gives a satisfying bass impact and presence while still keeping it clean and not overpowering the mids. Also -3db on 4khz to make them sound a little smoother. This is with the i20's.

May 4, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #2,218 of 7,352
So, when I first got my i20's, I tried out both the analog (with the eq Audeze posted way back in this thread, powered by Aune x1s) and cipher cable. After a couple of days I concluded that the cipher sounded superior to me, and have listened with cipher exclusively until now.
Yesterday, I tried the analog cable again, with same source and eq as before. Now, it actually sounded better than the cipher to me!
Compared to the cipher:
Soundstage is now definitely wider, with more air and separation. I think highs are a bit more smooth aswell, but only a tad. Bass seems to be the same.
I don't know what made my opinions change. Burn-in, maybe brain burn-in, no idea... Weird. Great, but weird.

May 4, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #2,219 of 7,352
So, when I first got my i20's, I tried out both the analog (with the eq Audeze posted way back in this thread, powered by Aune x1s) and cipher cable. After a couple of days I concluded that the cipher sounded superior to me, and have listened with cipher exclusively until now.
Yesterday, I tried the analog cable again, with same source and eq as before. Now, it actually sounded better than the cipher to me!
Compared to the cipher:
Soundstage is now definitely wider, with more air and separation. I think highs are a bit more smooth aswell, but only a tad. Bass seems to be the same.
I don't know what made my opinions change. Burn-in, maybe brain burn-in, no idea... Weird. Great, but weird.
What source and equalization are you using?

May 4, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,220 of 7,352
What source and equalization are you using?

Source: Streaming Tidal Hifi (occasionally Spotify premium) from pc, usb out to Aune x1s.

eq:
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 394,4 Hz Gain -2,66 dB Q 0,90
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 735,8 Hz Gain -3,16 dB Q 0,92
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1583,0 Hz Gain -6,10 dB Q 1,00
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2545,0 Hz Gain 6,00 dB Q 2,08
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3975,0 Hz Gain 3,70 dB Q 1,26
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 10150,0 Hz Gain -5,13 dB Q 4,39
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 199,5 Hz Gain -4,00 dB Q 0,71
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 12157,0 Hz Gain -2,97 dB Q 0,56
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 7666,0 Hz Gain 1,64 dB Q 0,71

A guy from Audeze posted this eq on page 84, post #1250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back