ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 25, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #3,976 of 9,716
So, kind of a random question I am curious about. We all know how light will age the wood at a faster rate than the wood will age in the shade. Does artificial light (indoor lighting) have any affect on the wood?

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #3,978 of 9,716
Order number #146093 for Cherry Eikon.

Done and dusted. :)

Now the waiting begins.... for my first closed back headphone and a Forza Audioworks Claire Hybrid HPC transparent 4 pin xlr balanced cable.

Next to pick up either Violectric v281 or Ragnarok on Sunday..... another decision..... what the...

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #3,979 of 9,716

Now the waiting begins.... for my first closed back headphone and a Forza Audioworks Claire Hybrid HPC transparent 4 pin xlr balanced cable.

Next to pick up either Violectric v281 or Ragnarok on Sunday..... another decision..... what the...

That's a tough choice!!!!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,980 of 9,716
Which of the Ori, Eikon or Atticus would be best for gaming?

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #3,981 of 9,716
Eikon was more than sufficient for my competitive gaming usage (e.g. BF1, PUBG, CSGO). Equally satisfying for casual or single player titles (e.g. RPG, Adventure, platform, Racing, etc.). Other kinds of top-down-esque games like RTS, MOBA, or MMO are fine as well.

I can clearly hear people in VoiP over in-game audio without turning down SFX, music, ambient sounds, etc. Hard to beat that. V-shape Headphones always require some tampering with game and VoiP volume.

Example: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWQlJYblD1L/

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #3,982 of 9,716

Both amps are going to be very good, the Ragnarok does give you the ability to drive speakers as well so that might be a big plus down the road.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3,983 of 9,716
So, kind of a random question I am curious about. We all know how light will age the wood at a faster rate than the wood will age in the shade. Does artificial light (indoor lighting) have any affect on the wood?

This is an excellent question--one that never occurred to me.

The coloration changes in decorative hardwoods such as cherry are the result of photochemical changes in the wood caused by shorter spectrum ultraviolet (UV) radiation in sunlight. I always assumed there was less UV radiation in artificial light than in sunlight, but that turns out to be not exactly true. I just read several scholarly papers on the subject of "wood weather" due to sunlight and/or artificial light, and it turns out that various types of artificial light (ie, sodium lighting, xenon) have higher UV components than others...though I have yet to find a comparision of total UV spectra in sunlight vs artificial light. It's highly unlikely that domestic artificial lighting emits any more than a fraction of the total UV contained in sunlight; if it did, light fixtures would come with recommendation to wear SP30 sunblock indoors (!?!).

What I'm finding hard to pin down here is whether artificial light can be compared to sunlight in any significant way for effects on wood coloration. For example:
  • Sunlight is radiation emitted from the sun, a light source that, even many millions of miles distant from earth, can be very strong, indeed (as anyone who ever got sunburn knows).
  • Artificial light, at least in the home, is emitted from light fixtures whose output (converted in watts) will range from ~50w-100w, and is generally location-specific, rather than diffusing throughout the environment. Artificial lights will typically be used more at night, in the relative absence of sunlight.
  • Therefore, I suspect that artificial light has overall far less penetration and strength throughout a home, perhaps only a fraction of what midday sunlight (ie, coming through windows to the home) can achieve.
So unless your artificial lighting = high intensity arc/xenon lighting in your home, it seems unlikely that it would have any more than a mild, adjunctive effect on the photochemistry of wood in that environment.

But if you happen to use as "task lighting" one of those massive light towers (1000s of watts) used to light nighttime highway repair projects--perhaps you should put your Eikon or Atticus in another room.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3,984 of 9,716
It's the reason I chose Cherry. That it will mature to a rich golden hue over time. I have seen some examples here and it look gorgeous.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #3,985 of 9,716

I was going to say HD800 and get booted out of here. :)

I don't game anymore though. My decision on Eikon is strictly based on my love for vocals and all the reviews I have read seems to point to it. That it is wetter, more musical than HD800 for vocals. Of course I'm curious at how low it can go.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #3,986 of 9,716

You've got the Yggy, complete the synergy and get the Rsg!

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #3,987 of 9,716
Both amps are going to be very good, the Ragnarok does give you the ability to drive speakers as well so that might be a big plus down the road.

That I can audition both amps at the store is a big help. Last Sat, I heard v281 and it sounded soooooo good. This Sunday I'll listen to both amps again... with Yggy and HD800 in balanced mode. It will be decision time at the end of it.

Stereo requirements isn't that high on my requirements as I already have 2 stereo amplifiers to drive my speakers. Besides I do more headphone listening.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,988 of 9,716
You've got the Yggy, complete the synergy and get the Rsg!

This is true probably going by looks alone. :) That's why I had a deposit on the Ragnarok but I can change my mind anytime, so the salesman assured me.

I've heard both amps with Yggy and HD800 before and I like the synergy that v281 provides to the setup better. However I heard Rag in SE mode about 2 months ago at the shop. So this Sunday, I will listen to both amps in balanced mode with HD800.

I wish I had the Eikon for the test too but that's asking too much.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #3,989 of 9,716
This is true probably going by looks alone. :) That's why I had a deposit on the Ragnarok but I can change my mind anytime, so the salesman assured me.

I've heard both amps with Yggy and HD800 before and I like the synergy that v281 provides to the setup better. However I heard Rag in SE mode about 2 months ago at the shop. So this Sunday, I will listen to both amps in balanced mode with HD800.

I wish I had the Eikon for the test too but that's asking too much.

When you say Rag in SE mode, are you referring to the headphone out jack? If so, you really need to hear it with a balanced cable before making a decision. The SE only provides a fraction of the power. Then, make sure Rag is on medium or high gain and try it again. It really lights up my Eikon. Love the pairing.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #3,990 of 9,716

Congrats!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back