ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 22, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #3,812 of 9,716
Comfort certainly is important for me. In terms of sound, I'm mainly after a "fun" sounding headphone with a relative amount (but not excessive) of bass. At least more than what I have on my M1060 wth Vegan mod, currently.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #3,813 of 9,716
Comfort certainly is important for me. In terms of sound, I'm mainly after a "fun" sounding headphone with a relative amount (but not excessive) of bass. At least more than what I have on my M1060 wth Vegan mod, currently.
I think you'll like the Atticus more than the TH X00, the TH X00 is certainly bass heavier, I like it for EDM but outside of that genre sometimes it's a bit too heavy. The Atticus still has that big heavy weight sound, but it's not as intrusive. Bass is tighter while still having a lot of fun, but not having heard a lawton Modded TH X00 I can't speak for how the two will compare.

Comfort is going to come down to you, I never had an issue with even the LCD 2 but I've got a stiff neck. I looked at your profile, do you actually have the TH X00 Lawton Mod already?

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #3,814 of 9,716
I think you'll like the Atticus more than the TH X00, the TH X00 is certainly bass heavier, I like it for EDM but outside of that genre sometimes it's a bit too heavy. The Atticus still has that big heavy weight sound, but it's not as intrusive. Bass is tighter while still having a lot of fun, but not having heard a lawton Modded TH X00 I can't speak for how the two will compare.

Comfort is going to come down to you, I never had an issue with even the LCD 2 but I've got a stiff neck. I looked at your profile, do you actually have the TH X00 Lawton Mod already?

I purchased them used and had them for a while, but sold them before I got to properly test them. My brief impression did not impress me in terms of comfort (angled Lawton pads and stiff headband) and lack of detachable csbles. I was however told that the X00 would sound noticably better if cup dampening was avoided. I'm also of the impression that the Teaks can go through Lawton modding, though I have never seen anyone write about it.

I'm honestly just looking for a proper endgame headphone that I can use for all purposes. I'm not a very big fan of different headphones for different tasks (gaming, movies, music) or different genres, as I find that all too inconvenient and troublesome.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #3,815 of 9,716
I purchased them used and had them for a while, but sold them before I got to properly test them. My brief impression did not impress me in terms of comfort (angled Lawton pads and stiff headband) and lack of detachable csbles. I was however told that the X00 would sound noticably better if cup dampening was avoided. I'm also of the impression that the Teaks can go through Lawton modding, though I have never seen anyone write about it.

I'm honestly just looking for a proper endgame headphone that I can use for all purposes. I'm not a very big fan of different headphones for different tasks (gaming, movies, music) or different genres, as I find that all too inconvenient and troublesome.

I can understand that, I purchased a couple of mid range headphones for that reason. My aim was to replace my W1000X and Th X00 with something. The Eikon wound up being what I was looking for, in terms of quality the Atticus is on par just lacking in some "technicalities" and offering a bit more fun

I've got the Atticus on my head tonight, let me know what genre of music you like and I'll be happy to go through some and post my direct though rough comparative notes

Also some one asked for how the Eikon compares to the W1000X... both have a very beautiful natural sound to them. Though the W1000X after mods, sometimes has more decay than the Eikon, other times has less. An while the W1000X does a better job with Micro Details, the Eikons Sound stage is far more resolving, far more realistic. That's the difference, the W1000X fault's give it a sort of.. fake sound in comparison to the Eikon. It's sound stage is too strongly defined as left/center/right, it often has too much presence, and throws Micro details in your face. Where as the Eikon offers same the beautiful decay, with much faster transients. Meaning, where as the W1000x shifts quickly from quite to loud, it's lacking in both sustain and the release of a note. The W1000X aggressive sound doesn't allow for you to appreciate the trailing edge of a note, it shifts quick from high to low energy and then just falls off. Where as the Eikon has the air within it's sound stage and the resolve to let you follow that release... to let you appreciate shifts in sustain, little details... transients! In some tracks the Eikon isn't as apparently DYNAMIC, having a more balanced overall sound signature your really able to follow the instruments both as a whole and individually, I might not notice the big dynamic shift in the trumpets because I'm too engaged by beautifully natural dynamics and transients in the piano... where as the W1000X more or less forces your focus Having a Hybrid Tube does help to mellow it out a lot, but it still can't compare to the combined naturalness and speed of the Eikon... but for a $300 headphone it puts up a good fight!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #3,816 of 9,716
I can understand that, I purchased a couple of mid range headphones for that reason. My aim was to replace my W1000X and Th X00 with something. The Eikon wound up being what I was looking for, in terms of quality the Atticus is on par just lacking in some "technicalities" and offering a bit more fun

I've got the Atticus on my head tonight, let me know what genre of music you like and I'll be happy to go through some and post my direct though rough comparative notes

Mshenany - Have you tried the Aeon and D7200 - how do they compare to Atticus? Looking for a headphone with similar characteristics as Atticus (same frequency response) but better technicalities

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #3,817 of 9,716
Mshenany - Have you tried the Aeon and D7200 - how do they compare to Atticus? Looking for a headphone with similar characteristics as Atticus (same frequency response) but better technicalities

I've not tired either, based only on reading impressions. I'd try the D7200 before I'd try the Aeon. The D7200 is being received with much the same praise as the ZMF Flagship pair are... that'd be quite the comparison

Getting back to the Atticus vs the TH X00

I'm not as impressed withit ... switching from the Atticus to the TH X00... it's a similar sound signature, with the TH X00 adding a touch more sub bass umph... but what the TH X00 lacks compare to the atticus is clarity. Drums and bass guitar riffs... are a bit softer... there's more umph but a lack of power and clarity... and lastly the mids! There's a awesome sweetness in the mid range on the Atticus, that you lose with the TH X00... but the two are simmilar. Still If you have the budget for it, the Atticus is to my ears a very straight forward upgrade to the TH X00. I should mention though I have Alpha Pads on my TH X00 with a recable, though I do like the brighter crisper highs on the TH X00... still they are no substitute for the mix of both clarity and beautiful decay present in Atticus

I swapped over to jazz from the Th X00 to the Atticus, the first thing I noticed was how the sound stage really opened up! Not in terms of width but in definition. The sound-stage is more cohesive as a whole, some of the low notes on the cello would be strong in one channel and absent in the other, where as with the Atticus it was stronger in one but still present in the other... the TH X00 would present the Trumpet STRONG in one channel and absent from the other, where as the Atticus gives me a stronger in one and a touch of echo in both the sound isn't limited to RIGHT channel, but rather it originates and spreads out from the right... this improvement in overall clarity and resolve is obvious!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3,818 of 9,716
If anyone is wondering about lead times, I ordered 1x atticus cherry on 3/20 and received the shipping notice today 6/23. So almost 13 weeks. So just a bit over the 12 week estimate

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #3,820 of 9,716
Honestly, I'd avoid getting a modded headphone as you lose any kind of warrenty. I'd try and see if Zach has any B Stock for sale, they often have... odd grain patterns that don't impact performance at all

On the ZMF site it says "There are no returns when items are discounted or on sale, b-stock, or ordered through any other source besides ZMFheadphones.com at full list price.".

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,821 of 9,716
On the ZMF site it says "There are no returns when items are discounted or on sale, b-stock, or ordered through any other source besides ZMFheadphones.com at full list price.".

I'd see if he still warranties them, if you liked the TH X00 than I can say with confidence you'll like the Atticus. Here are some impressions of the two for Jazz

P1vzxwB.png

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #3,823 of 9,716
@Mshenay

Great comparison and I love the single track format...unique, at least from what I've so far seen.

Thanks I actually have collection MASSIVE spread sheets with that same single song format, but different groups of headphones and way more songs per page. For those curious I'll post my impressions of the Atticus VS the Elear too. Same format and song I think

KJzFfzm.png

Good to see that you guys enjoy these. The wording is VERY rough and I don't have any kind of spell check when I do them. I may include them in my reviews especially when I post my official review for the Atticus and ZMF Eikon... with better sentence structure and proper spelling ofc

I'll just keep adding these impressions as I go, I did find the spell check options!!

With EDM I was surprised to see neither the Eikon nor the Atticus managed to pull out this weird little Synth bend as consistently as my modded W1000X, The Eikon had it at the end of the passages that featured it. So the song's overall tone was... more upbeat with this neat little wail at the end. How ever, my TH X00 and W1000X [both of which are REALLY bright up top] had the Synth wail in the horn at the end of each note, which gave the song a more... dissonant tone... which was kinda cool. I guess the warmer midrange and more natural decay on the Eikon masked over that detail some, where as the W1000X rather... surreal decay maybe overemphasized it...

nhaHYki.png

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #3,824 of 9,716
I'm considering the Eikon and wondering what the import costs (duty & DHL charges) are for European Union ... I haven't previously directly imported anything before, so if anyone has already had that experience, would you kindly let me know ? Thank-you.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #3,825 of 9,716
I'm considering the Eikon and wondering what the import costs (duty & DHL charges) are for European Union ... I haven't previously directly imported anything before, so if anyone has already had that experience, would you kindly let me know ? Thank-you.
It's different for each country. In Finland it's VAT + customs tax. In the case of headphones that's 25,5% of the whole value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back