ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
May 26, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #3,721 of 9,716
At #2, and it's been 5.5 months, wonder if it will hit 6 months
Haha this is a joke as there is no #1 or #2 spot,
Plus it only looks like around 2mo only for the Padauk wood delay, as no one that I read waited 3mo..

May 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #3,722 of 9,716
Hold on a moment there...not a joke. I ordered in mid-December also. Zach is doing the hard work of assembling a large number of orders, responding to queries on numerous sites, and answering emails. It's gotta be a lot for an operation that size. Add to that the padauk issues and it's understandable.

With all that being said, let's not downplay the wait some of us have experienced! I'm super excited to hear them when they show up in the near future. :) In the meantime, I greatly appreciate Zach's dedication to customer service and doing what he can to work with some tough breaks on the most recent padauk order.

May 27, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #3,724 of 9,716
It pains me somewhat to post this, but if someone is interested in an Atticus and wants to skip the huge line, I'm going to have to sell my Atticus... It crushes me because as I've burned it in I just like it more and more... But I had a deal on something unrelated come up that I couldn't refuse and I won't be able to easily use these enough to justify the cost (my amp and dac are also already up on head fi...) Probably trying to get like 900 for it. It's basically brand new in great condition. I'll be putting a post up here tomorrow.

So my truncated review of these headphones is that I really liked them! Bass is slammin' and the soundstage was wider than I imagined. It does quite well with most genres. It's also super comfortable! Love the pads on this thing. Gonna probably listen as much as I can before I ship it to someone... It's the padauk version btw so 1100 normally.

May 27, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #3,725 of 9,716
I'm looking right now at the #2 spot on the list. What makes you say there's no #2?

Because it is basically in an "spreadsheet" layout which has just been updated so yes it changed

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,726 of 9,716
Happy to join the family of ZMF. To be honest, I feel I have found my end-game close-backed headphone. Loooove it.

May 31, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #3,728 of 9,716
I received my pair of ZMF Eikon today. No comments on the sound yet, but first thing I noticed was how they look. I would think that if Zach wants premium dollars for his phones, he would pay more attention to matching the grain on the cups. I worked in the office furniture industry for 15 years, and our company was known for matching wood grain. The cups on my THX00 Ebony, Mahogany and Rosewood cups, as well as my EMU Teaks at least have the wood grain running in a consistent direction, (horizontal). $500 or less for the headphones. Zach expects $1399 for Padauk cup ZMF Eickon's, in return I expect a high quality product, built with care and attention to detail. The Padauk cups on my Eickon have one cup with the wood grain running horizontal on the right cup, and vertical on the left cup. Something wrong there in the quality for a $1399 headphone that is supposed to be a flagship?

Hey @cute, thanks for trying the Eikon! We spend quite a bit of time matching the cups as well as we can and take customer requests into consideration when the headphones are bought from us new. A company our size though which is producing only 30-60 Eikons a month just doesn't buy enough wood to have hundreds of pieces to choose from for each set. So what happens is this: We get down to less and less pieces of wood while waiting for a new batch to come in, and I have to make a choice between a customer who has been waiting a considerable amount of time getting their headphones that look handsome with cups that may not be completely perfectly matched, or them waiting longer for cups that are indistinguishable from each other. Then because we aren't ordering tons and tons of wood like a giant company and running production lines there is no guarantee that the new wood will completely match the cups we've been holding.

So what does this mean? Just that we do our best, spend a LOT of time choosing cups to look nice together and make the headphones by hand and not in a large production line. I personally inspect every headphone and follow customer requests like wood preferences as closely as possible when they are requested. The trade off is you get an american crafted artisan product with minor quirks that come from "small batch" manufacturing, some people love it, some don't and I can completely understand that.

I believe you bought this set used as I did not see your name on our build list. If anyone wants a certain type of grain on their cups we can do our best to accommodate with no promises, but the headphones have to be purchased from us new. This is something that a small company like us do have an advantage in, personal service which you many times can't get from larger businesses. I hope to keep it this way as long as possible!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 31, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,729 of 9,716
Deleted

Attachments

• IMG_0643[1].jpg
    IMG_0643[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #3,730 of 9,716
You try your best, well pat yourself on the back! Flagship??? A small shop can make all the excuses they wish, over time a poor business model You want money up front for an "american crafted artisan product", with a lifetime warranty, personal service? Those types of comments made by Dan at Mr Speakers at least hold some water. He is a small business just like yours, but he honestly stands by everything he builds and sells, kudos to Dan!!!

]

I apologize in advance if I seem to be over the line, but there are two things that I don't really understand. First, if as Zach said, you bought the Eikon used, you should directly complain to the person you bought it from. Second, if your intention with the picture you posted, is to prove the cups don't match, then you should show the headphones with both cups displayed, and in the same image, of course. That's what I would do, personally - actually, scratch that. No, I wouldn't complain about it on a forum. I would email Zach directly. But that's just me.

May 31, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #3,731 of 9,716
I apologize in advance if I seem to be over the line, but there are two things that I don't really understand. First, if as Zach said, you bought the Eikon used, you should directly complain to the person you bought it from. Second, if your intention with the picture you posted, is to prove the cups don't match, then you should show the headphones with both cups displayed, and in the same image, of course. That's what I would do, personally - actually, scratch that. No, I wouldn't complain about it on a forum. I would email Zach directly. But that's just me.

@nocturaline,

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,732 of 9,716
@nocturaline, but wanted to make everyone aware what happens when you have issues with them that there is no way to get them repaired,

We do repair out of warranty headphones, you just have to email me to figure it out. Wood variance and appearance is not a warranty issue though as each specific wood we use has different traits. As mentioned earlier it's up to the original owner to let me know their preferences if any.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 31, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #3,733 of 9,716
I have nothing but glowing paise for Zach, his headphones, and his professionalism. For such a small business I'm truly amazed at the quality of the end product at the price he charges. Top to bottom the best experience with any headphone company IMO.

The Eikon is truly something special. It's by far the best closed can I've ever heard. It best other headphones much more expensive in tonality and workmanship.

I'm sorry but if this complaint was based on a second hand pair I have to jump in and second the above opinion that a personal email to the original owner or Zach would have been much more appropriate. This forum is not the place for this.

May 31, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #3,734 of 9,716
We do repair out of warranty headphones, you just have to email me to figure it out. Wood variance and appearance is not a warranty issue though as each specific wood we use has different traits. As mentioned earlier it's up to the original owner to let me know their preferences if any.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #3,735 of 9,716
@nocturaline, I will sell you these ZMF Eikon's, received today, for exactly what I paid for them, which is cheaper than what Zach charges! I will pay the Paypal Fee and shipping to you. Just respond by PM, and I will send you pictures that were taken by the Headfier after I purchased them. I wanted to hear them, so I jumped on them as soon as I saw them For Sale. Just you remember, there is no warranty unless you are the original owner, per Zach at ZMF Headphones. Anyone buying Eikon or Atticus from anyone other than Zach does void the warranty. I knew that, but wanted to make everyone aware what happens when you have issues with them that there is no way to get them repaired, being they are handmade with proprietary parts! My mistake, so I'll take the heat! Anyone that wants an Eikon PM me and avoid the wait!

Thank you for the offer, but I must decline. My atticus are being made by Zach as we speak. When it comes to Hi-Fi — and now that I think about it, everything else — I always buy new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back