AK100 22Ohm Bypass DIY
Jul 5, 2013 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
So, if anyone was following the AK100 tread, I've decided to mod my AK100 myself. The cost of modding, if done by RWA or MS, is $250. That's already bit too much and considering the $80 shipping to RWA and $30 shipping to MS(I live in Korea) as well as the wait time and possible customs issue, I decided that I might try to DIY it. There weren't much info to be found on DIYing this mod, so I thought I will start a tread for this.

This is what I plan on doing: I found this in a Japanese forum(sorry I can't site exactly who posted it. I cannot understand a thing in Japanese)

So just solder the top of the two resistors so that they will be bypass. This is different from what RWA or MS does. They do this:

According to Vinnie and Phanom, this method(second pic) is better as it uses higher quality material and directly bypasses all the components of the circuit.

Although I would like to try the second one, it looks harder
biggrin.gif
 So I'm going to try doing the first pic. Just an FIY, I do have some knowledge and experience with soldering, but I am not a master like Vinnie or Phanom. More info on how to do this on the second post.

Caution:
If you do plan on doing this, there are few things you have to be aware of.
1. Warranty is voided. You will only get warranty if you let RWA or MS mod your AK100. They will fix your AK100, if your modded one breaks.
2. Although it's a fairly easy soldering, the components are small. Be extremely careful. Make sure you practice soldering if you have never soldered before.
3. This mod will not sound as good as RWA or MS AK100. I don't now how big the difference will be, but I speculate that it won't be bad. At least not worse than stock AK100(I hope). The purpose of this mod is to reduce the impedance, not improve the sound quality(although lower impedance for certain hps/iems improves SQ)
4. I am not responsible for any damage you do to your AK100.

Jul 5, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 36
Materials:
1. Torx Screwdriver(these are the star shaped ones): You need small one. Very small ones.
2. Philips screwdriver. Again, small ones.
3. Something like a pen to pull out the battery.
4. Soldering iron. I'm guessing you don't need high power, but it depends on what kind of solder you use. I'm using 40watt ones.
5. Solder. You choose. You can be fancy like silver solder, but I'm gonna use regular cheap solder. I'm not much of a cable believer.
6. Headphone/iem to test run before closing the enclosure.

I would like to procede to procedures, but I don't have a torx driver yet. I'm going to buy them soon and post instructions with pics. Happy waiting!

BTW, feel free to shoot me with suggestions(and/or questions)!

Jul 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 36
Just a thought: I think another way is to bypass the resistor with an inductor. Ferrite for an example.

Jul 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:
? Can you explain?

It is quite simple, just solder suitable SMD chip ferrite directly on top of the resistors you want to bypass. Inductor is low in resistant / impedance in low / audio frequency and usually peaks at MHz range. So to the audio signal, it is like wire. They can be easily removed, which is a benefit for any future modification.

Jul 5, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 36
Sadly(for those who looked forward to this), I've decided not to do this mod. I just EQed the treble, and UERM is perfect with AK100. Thanks to burtomr and ClieOS for tips. I guess that kind of ends this, but I can help who ever plans on doing this in the future. I did a lot of research on this. BTW, if I shall ever want to mod my AK100 again, I'll update this tread.

Jul 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 36
Thanks anyway, Kim!
It would be nice if you can show us how to open the AK100 though, for battery replacement, or cleaning the connectors etc. maintenance jobs.!
Appreciated!

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 36
*These pictures are from Brabbithifi's facebook page. It's not my own work, so I'll post the link: http://www.brabbithifi.com/

Alright. Here is how to open. You need Torx T4 screwdriver and a small philips screwdriver.
1. Just screw it open. Screws are at the bottom. Use T4. 

2. Pry out the battery. It's taped or glued(from my knowledge)

3. Pull out that cable. Disconnect it. Don't cut it. They just come off. Unscrew things. Pull the metal cover out.

5. There. You have it. Dissected AK100.

6. Now, you solder over the two resistors. You can do a lot of things. You can use inductors as ClieOS suggested or also use a cable to directly bypass the cable. Easiest would be this:

(this pic was found on a Japanese forum).

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:
Thank you much, Kim!
Like you, I do not intend to mod the AK100 - at least for now!
But the info will be helpful for us to replace the battery etc. in the future!

No problem.

I'm just putting it out there, but please do try to EQ before modding your AK100 because impedance is an issue. Although I personally haven't heard any modded AK100, I'm seen few reviewers saying that modded AK100 doesn't sound as smooth or detailed and the stock AK100. If the impedance changes your iem's sound sig, try to EQ it back.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #13 of 36
just finished this mod , used my old ALo cryo silver LOD as the pass through...a really clean job , ( got to use my old schools precision electrical engineering room/lab) the solder points look really nice and clean and i  can reverse it ! i think ?? depends lol sound pretty good now ! it playes well with dynamic and hybrid IEMs , though my BAs seem to need an amp... :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back