A question about Hifiman Edition X v2's, and my system in general

Which option would be optimal for my system?

• Moving to HEX v2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abandoning ship for TH-900 mk2

• Keeping a Hifiman and Fostex in circulation

• Total voters
May 17, 2017 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

squee116

500+ Head-Fier
Right now, I'm running HE-560's connected to a MAC 1900 amplifier, which is connected to a Schiit Modi 2 Uber, which then connects to my PC.

The first thing I'm curious about is the difference in audio signature from the 560's to the HEX v2. I generally prefer neutral sound signatures and can tolerate a slight lean to cold, but prefer a bit more warmth, as I'm sensitive to even-remotely-harsh treble. 99 times out of a 100, I'm satisfied with my HE-560s, or at least I was until I made the fool move or auditioning STAX SR-009's, HE-1000's, and TH-900's in Japan. Sidenote: I was surprised by how favorably I think the Fostex's compared to the HE-1000's. Not as good, but not as far behind as the price difference would suggest...

I've seen several people post about the HEX v2's not liking to be over-amped, so I'm worried that the MAC may not be a good match for them. Additionally, I've recently had issues with my Schiit Modi 2 Uber randomly shutting off (I think it might be heat issues), so I'm thinking of contacting Schiit, and I'm debating if I want to try and replace my Modi with another Modi, or shell out to move up the ladder. I've heard lots of opinions on DACs, in regards to how much (or in this case how little) they impact the sound quality. In particular, I was eye-balling the Bifrost with the multibit upgrade as a possibility. Would there be an audible difference?

Is my current system, or my planned system, a good fit for the HEX, or am I better off moving in another direction?
For anyone with experience with both, how would you compare the Fostex th900s and HEX? The weight is fairly similar, and generally I prefer open back cans, but I was surprisingly taken by the Fostex's when I played with them. I guess if both are good for different applications, I can always sell my HE560's and put it towards the HEX v2 and just add the TH900 to the collection...

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 5
After quite a bit of testing around setups I would like to give you the following advise:
What sound comes out at the end is always depending on the whole chain and every element might change it (or not change it) towards or away from your sound preference. In that sense: define one end of the chain which you definitely wanna keep first (headphone or DAC) and then optimise towards the other end.
From what I can recall (audio memory is really tricky) the HEX is more similar to the HEK than to the HE560, with the biggest difference being the vastly bigger soundstage of the HEX and HEK versus the HE560.
If I were you I would keep the HE560 and try out the Gungnir Multibit or some other multibit DAC instead of buying a new headphone.
I was often told all DACs sound similar but honestly I find the difference between the Gungnir MB and some random sabre DACs and the like bigger than the difference most headphone amps make.
The multibit architecture seems to really help making the sound less digital sounding which I personally really like.

Last edited:
May 22, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Can't remember if I have heard the 900's but have heard all the others mentioned. If you can afford it I would definitely recommend a multibit dac. I went from a Teac UD-301 to a Schiit Yggdrasil and it was night was lifted so I could see the sun. Big difference to say the least. For the headphone dilemma harder to say. I've only heard the HEX's once at CanJam so my experience is a little wanting on them and don't how they will work with the MAC but I'm guessing probably pretty well. I really like the HE1K's and HE-560's have heard them several times out of several different setups and all were good I would pick the X's over the 560's but that is me. If I had the money the SR-009's would be on my head right now. There is another option with great detail and not too bright and that is the Koss ESP-950's. Very good for the money and a good way to get into electrostat's without breaking the bank. I'm running them on a Stax SRM-1 amp right now and they are fantastic even though the amp that comes in the package is not too bad. Was at a meet this weekend and no one had heard them before and all that listened were floored . Just a little something to make your decision a bit harder ; ).

May 22, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Not sure what your budget is, but if you can pull it off, I personally would go for an HEX v2 and upgrade (multibit) your ill DAC, like you were considering. The only kicker is the MAC. If you are right about the amp sensitivity of the HEX v2, you just may end up needing to swap out your amp, too. And the only way to find out is to do it. Just my opinion. FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back