ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 11, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #422 of 797
Talking of Mullard… the ECC35 tall boys have turned up today. Listening to them now but to early to form any conclusions but. Definitely more about the mids I think compared to the RCA Red Base 5691s. Richer mids, touch warmer but still has good treble, smooth as you like with very good staging.

I think the 5691s are more dynamic but it’ll take a while to form a reliable feel to them and how I’ll use them.

IMG_6741.jpeg

That often seems to be how I feel about Mullard preamp tubes. I've no experience with the ECC35 so they may be different, but with the 9 pin minis I almost always prefer Amperex tubes to Mullards.

Power tubes and rectifiers are another story, however.

May 11, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #423 of 797
What are the two tubes in the back?
They’re the La Radiotechnique EL39s.

Lovely tubes but somewhat delicate. Guess it’s an age thing… I know the feeling 😂.

One of the new ones I bought the glue has come away from the top anode. Once you fit them to the adapters it’s best to leave them in them and just store the tube attached to them 😀. Well worth it though!

May 11, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #424 of 797
May 11, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #425 of 797
That often seems to be how I feel about Mullard preamp tubes. I've no experience with the ECC35 so they may be different, but with the 9 pin minis I almost always prefer Amperex tubes to Mullards.

Power tubes and rectifiers are another story, however.
Listening to them now and they’re very nice sounding… smooth as you like. Very spacious. The 5691s are also very spacious but more like grabbing you by the collars and screaming listen to me man, let’s party… sort of dynamics 😂

Edit… I’ve only ran these for 2 hrs and they’ve probably sat around for years in a box. Not NOS but tested above NOS book values so plenty of time to change

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #426 of 797
So freaking excited for this amp. Tried at AXPONA and was blown away when paired with Caldera open. Anybody try the HEKSE with this amp? Great pairing? I’m looking for something that can really tame the highs. And I mean smooth as silk, as I’m particularly sensitive at 3.5-4 and 7.5-8 kHz. Can’t stand the HEKSE on solid state, though I need to try the new Prelude…

May 11, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #427 of 797
Away from subject of tubes for the Aegis......

I'm wondering how the Aegis would compare to the other TOTL hp, the Decware Reference ZMF OTL which is $700-$900 more. I'm both aware that the Decware unit is geared towards high-impedance headphones, like ZMF's, and that the commercial Aegis will be release very shortly.

May 11, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #428 of 797
Away from subject of tubes for the Aegis......

I'm wondering how the Aegis would compare to the other TOTL hp, the Decware Reference ZMF OTL which is $700-$900 more. I'm both aware that the Decware unit is geared towards high-impedance headphones, like ZMF's, and that the commercial Aegis will be release very shortly.
OTL can’t push the Caldera and isn’t as tube rolling friendly, Aegis can push all ZMF’s and you can tube roll to your heart’s content. Aegis was commercially available as of yesterday. That said, my VO on the OTL is one of the best experiences I’ve had with music. The Pendant is also very exceptional, especially with its tube upgrades. If the Aegis can be elevated by some tube rolling to the scale the Pendant did it’ll be a very, very high end TOTL amp.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #429 of 797
Picked up some 6F6 and 6550 in addition to the EL33. 6F6 to test a real world bias point and recommend rectifiers if people want to use 6F6 / KT63. The 6550 I picked up for, err, research...reasons. Just doing my duty here.

Untitled.jpg

May 11, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #430 of 797
Picked up some 6F6 and 6550 in addition to the EL33. 6F6 to test a real world bias point and recommend rectifiers if people want to use 6F6 / KT63. The 6550 I picked up for, err, research...reasons. Just doing my duty here.

Untitled.jpg

I'll be curious what you think of the 6550s.

May 11, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #431 of 797
So freaking excited for this amp. Tried at AXPONA and was blown away when paired with Caldera open. Anybody try the HEKSE with this amp? Great pairing? I’m looking for something that can really tame the highs. And I mean smooth as silk, as I’m particularly sensitive at 3.5-4 and 7.5-8 kHz. Can’t stand the HEKSE on solid state, though I need to try the new Prelude…

CanJam London and SoCal are coming up fast, could try to get some of these answers from CanJam goers then! Unless of course one of the new Aegis owners also owns the HEKSE. I suspect there will be some more reviews coming down the pipeline here soon.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #432 of 797
I'll be curious what you think of the 6550s.
I had a couple of black plate Tungsol 6550s on loan for a while and thought they were great, one of my favorites.

May 12, 2024 at 6:46 AM Post #433 of 797

Nice looking tubes! I almost picked up a pair of those 6550 yesterday, and am very curious about those. Also, I did score some Russian 6F6M1 53' Foton's yesterday, as well as some 6F6S (Russian KT63), and will wait to see which rectifiers to use with those. I also picked up a Osram U50 (5Y3G) cup getter rectifier, so I will have some good options.

I still "need" to find and add a good 5U4 to the mix. . .

May 12, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #434 of 797
Nice looking tubes! I almost picked up a pair of those 6550 yesterday, and am very curious about those. Also, I did score some Russian 6F6M1 53' Foton's yesterday, as well as some 6F6S (Russian KT63), and will wait to see which rectifiers to use with those. I also picked up a Osram U50 (5Y3G) cup getter rectifier, so I will have some good options.

I still "need" to find and add a good 5U4 to the mix. . .

Nice! Yeah I'll let you know what the rectifier situation is. I also picked up this Sylvania hanging filament 5U4, an old military unit.

Untitled.jpg

May 12, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #435 of 797
Nice! Yeah I'll let you know what the rectifier situation is. I also picked up this Sylvania hanging filament 5U4, an old military unit.

Cool!

I also have some GEC VT60 (807) on the way and have some custom made adapters from @Deyan already made and being shipped out on Monday.

1000005571.jpg

We are a terrible influence on each other, and I love it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back