ZO2 Impression Thread
Dec 1, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #616 of 1,126
for my case... I'm using the Fiio E10 Line out, to the zo2 v1. Is that the right way of using it according to Paul ? Hope I didnt kill my zo2 v1.

I guess Paul's comment only refers to the ipod users?

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #617 of 1,126

Quote:
for my case... I'm using the Fiio E10 Line out, to the zo2 v1. Is that the right way of using it according to Paul ? Hope I didnt kill my zo2 v1.

I guess Paul's comment only refers to the ipod users?

You're fine, it's just a headphone can't directly be plugged into LO or you'll burn out those very fast and have permanent ear damage if you actually had them on as it would get LOUD. You will always need some volume attenuation if using Line-out which ZO2 was meant to bring and it did but on ZO2 rev1 the volume was simply too loud, ZO2 rev2 it's more appropriate but then again if using HO with rev2 your volume will be a bit on the lower side (MizMoxie said Sennheiser HD 280 ZO2 at max volume and the source set to 90% for about normal listening volume when using headphone jack) which is where rev3 comes in with the high gain mode so you can also use 80 ohm+ headphones with it like you could with ZO1 as well as ZO2 rev1.

Currently ZO2 rev1 works nicely with not so sensitive headphones (IEMs will have hiss, even some of the most sensitive headphones has a bit noticable hissing) and ZO2 rev2 works nicely with IEMs / very easy to drive headphones. ZO2 rev3 is meant to work with all scenarios without hiss and sufficient volume.

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #619 of 1,126

Quote:
Why use the ZO with another amp?
Does the sound really improve?
Never thought to double amp, doesn't make sense to me, but I don't know much.  

Depends on the design quite a lot. I wouldn't go pair something like FiiO E11 with some iBasso amp for example in any situation. But sounds like ZO is using some more proprietary design (of course this is something they can't reveal for obvious reasons) so the only way to figure out is by subjective listening tests. It might work or it might not work well, it depends on how this ZO actually works. However with rev3 I don't see the need to do that, LOD users should get sufficient volume in low gain and HO users at least with high gain will have more than enough volume/power to play with (and for some 250+ ohm headphone or whatever I wouldn't put ZO as my first choice of amp).

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #620 of 1,126

Quote:
Depends on the design quite a lot. I wouldn't go pair something like FiiO E11 with some iBasso amp for example in any situation. But sounds like ZO is using some more proprietary design (of course this is something they can't reveal for obvious reasons) so the only way to figure out is by subjective listening tests. It might work or it might not work well, it depends on how this ZO actually works. However with rev3 I don't see the need to do that.

Ok.  Thanks for the clarification.  

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #621 of 1,126

well im not double amping, the e10 line out supposedly bypass it's built-in amp, im just using the e10's dac for sound and zo2 v1 as the amp. i do like the zo2 sound so far , I do hear some hiss, but my E10 amp hisses too ..

I would add that my computer volume is at 33% .however, with 100% the zo2 v1 starts to clip. Then again the manual said to use 25%.
Quote:
Why use the ZO with another amp?
Does the sound really improve?
Never thought to double amp, doesn't make sense to me, but I don't know much.  

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #622 of 1,126

Quote:

Sorry, by DAC I meant LOD. As I'm not a Apple user, despite of having a fan boy at home (my little brother), please, forgive my mistakes! I know ZO2 v1 has a volume control, I have it on my desk right now! And as i said, I tried it with J3 on max volume and it is unusable!

MizMoxie, I was waiting for the reviews on rev3, but if you're available to give us some answers, I will ask:

1- rev3 still have the bypass mode?
2- Some folks here said the Smart Vektor quality on Rev2 was decreased. We get no hiss, but the sound quality was affected too. So, with rev3, with LOW gain we have that problem too? And with HIGH gain, we still can notice the hiss on sensitive IEMs?
3- With HIGH gain, it is usable only through HO, like the original ZO2?

Thanks in advance!

1 - Rev 3 does not have the bypass mode. We are actually using the bypass mode to obtain high gain (believe it or not) =)
2 - With rev 3, the sound quality will not be affected too - we have mitigated this problem. With high gain, you may be able to notice SOME hiss, but it is *significantly* less than both ZO1 and ZO2 rev 1 (please see plot below).
3. With high gain, you are partially correct - it is meant for HO users; however, if you would like to use it with LO, you can use a volume control cable (although that would be pointless, b/c that is what low gain mode is intended for).

So, these are noise floor measurements done on ZO v1 (red), ZO 2 rev 1 (blue), ZO 2 rev 3 lo gain (green), and ZO 2 rev 3 hi gain (pink). Please remember, the blue line is the original ZO 2, and was due to a last minute component change on the day of manufacturing. I just want everyone to know that problem has been resolved!

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #626 of 1,126

Quote:
I look forward to more impressions of v3. Hopefully it pairs well with my HD25-1 II...

I look forward to not hearing about a 'v4'.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #630 of 1,126
I have ordered a ZO2, which is on the way.
Can someone please summarize, what the differences between revisions 1, 2 and 3 exactly are? As things are getting more complicated, I am slowly getting a little confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back