ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Oct 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #242 of 1,522
  I prefer cans that are aimed at musicality instead of detail.  As far as bass, some of the electronic I listen to needs some fairly good bass presence to be enjoyable, and I know I have some basshead tendancies, but I am in no way a real basshead.  If at all possible I'd like one that can also handle classical adequately.  It doesn't need to be a detail master in the slightest to accomplish that.  The music I primarily listen to is alt rock, where some of that can lean towards being bass-centric, but certainly not all of it.  Sound stage isn't a huge concern for me due to my depth perception problems, which leaves me an utterly poor judge of that quality, but if it's good in this respect, it certainly doens't hurt.  If it helps, bands like Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Muse, Eels, The XX, any project done by Maynard James Keenan are what I listen to most.

My favorite headphone by far is my HD700, which if it had slightly more bass it'd be about perfect for my needs.  For an IEM, it's my Senn IE800.

Sorry if I'm not descriptive enough, I've never seemed to find the right way to properly articulate what I really want.

Can't compare to other headphones, but the Vibro sounds like a good fit based on what you've said. They are indeed musical--pretty much all the poorly mastered music in my library that sounded intolerable through the HE-400 for various reasons (too flat, too bright, etc.) sounds enjoyable on these. I also find that they are highly detailed, but in a laid-back manner. The detail doesn't jump out in a "hi-fi" sort of way, but it is still there in spades. I think they do very well with more chill alt rock like Radiohead or The XX. They aren't super aggressive however, so not as good for metal. I like Tool through them though, especially Lateralus. 

I mostly listen to electronic music and find the bass plenty adequate for that. Roughly on par with the HE-400 in terms of quantity and quality, though the presentation is distinctly different. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #243 of 1,522
Still holding back on ordering them for right now since I have one chance to blow this much cash on a pair of headphones.

So they will handle pretty much every genre pretty well? I listen to a variety of stuff and definitely prefer a neutral to slightly warm presentation. Not a treble head in any way, but I'm also not sensitive to it either so I don't mind a bit of extension up there.

Coming from the V2s, which were pretty dark IMO, I would definitely like something brighter than those but still keeping it smooth. Am I just waiting for no reason and should just jump the gun already?

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #244 of 1,522
  Still holding back on ordering them for right now since I have one chance to blow this much cash on a pair of headphones.

So they will handle pretty much every genre pretty well? I listen to a variety of stuff and definitely prefer a neutral to slightly warm presentation. Not a treble head in any way, but I'm also not sensitive to it either so I don't mind a bit of extension up there.

Coming from the V2s, which were pretty dark IMO, I would definitely like something brighter than those but still keeping it smooth. Am I just waiting for no reason and should just jump the gun already?

If you find them too dark when you get them, remove the dampening right behind pad screen. Very easy to do. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #246 of 1,522
Hey how does it sound with the Lyr 2? or 1?

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #247 of 1,522
This is a lyr 1 ! The zmf x vibros sound amazing, they put my Denon D5000 to shame really. I usually run my tests with some Radiohead, I'm loving it thus far!
Edit : During the first moments of  "How to disappear completely", I feel like I can totally feel the strokes on the guitar strings, something that I haven't quite noticed until now.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #249 of 1,522
  This is a lyr 1 ! The zmf x vibros sound amazing, they put my Denon D5000 to shame really. I usually run my tests with some Radiohead, I'm loving it thus far!
Edit : During the first moments of  "How to disappear completely", I feel like I can totally feel the strokes on the guitar strings, something that I haven't quite noticed until now.

Yeah the ZxV with radiohead is definitely magical, and it pairs nice  with the lyr
?

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #251 of 1,522
  Definitely, I'll have to try with the Orange tubes I ordered. I'll also have to restrain myself from buying a draug 2 or a vanquish cable.

It really is the best bang for your buck with a closed headphone, that sounds at least as good as it looks and feels, this would be my optimal choice for closed 1000$ and under for musicality and details, if I wanted something a little more analytical and detailed I would go with the Alpha Dogs and more likely paradox slants. This is incredible value when I can compare it to a 900$ open headphones and say it keeps up to an extent(Hifiman HE560, grill modded, pad modded) Cannot wait to hear more impressions from you Draz and I am glad you feel the wait paid off?

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #253 of 1,522
And mine is stuck at customs since 2 days... Give it away you bastards! :mad:

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #254 of 1,522
Can anyone comment on the sound sig compared to the Master Model V1? Or if Zach offers an upgrade service. I'm considering asking him about this, but if one of you already has experience with it, that's cool too.

Oct 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #255 of 1,522
  Can anyone comment on the sound sig compared to the Master Model V1? Or if Zach offers an upgrade service. I'm considering asking him about this, but if one of you already has experience with it, that's cool too.

I do not believe he has an upgrade service intact yet with the lower to mid end models he has. to this one. I think he would like to implement something like that eventually, but I am pretty sure it has not happened yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back