ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread.
Oct 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #212 of 1,522
There is the NFB 10se on the forums from tj who does Mimic Cables which is a cable maker and recabling company he runs online. I was going to buy it originally but after talking to Kingwa I had decided this was probably the amp I was going to want, and then one came up for even chjeaper on the forums. But the price the 10se is a good price.

Oct 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #213 of 1,522
I'm already using a vintage receiver I love, so I'd probably have to convince myself of a portable balanced option, or move the receiver someplace like my bedroom.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #214 of 1,522
I would like to echo these comments. I purchased Zach's Schiit Mjolnir and also a Vibro with Cherry cups a couple of months ago, and while I love the headphones (!), dealing with Zach was perhaps the best part. We spoke at length on the phone prior to my purchase and he helped me sort through all of the options, finishes, cable choices, etc. First class gentleman making a fantastic product!

My advice to anyone who is on the fence on Vibros is to just get them! You won't regret the purchase....

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #215 of 1,522
I also purchased Grizzly's ZMX V.1 (thanks, Grizz) which I enjoy as well. While he was waiting for my cherry cups to finish, I sent the ZMX to Zach for him to brighten up and add some "air". This he did free of charge, and the result is a livelier headphone containing the liquid midrange but with a bit more sparkle on top.

I still prefer the Vibros, but these bright orange ZMX are pretty sweet in their own right.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #216 of 1,522
I also purchased Grizzly's ZMX V.1 (thanks, Grizz) which I enjoy as well. While he was waiting for my cherry cups to finish, I sent the ZMX to Zach for him to brighten up and add some "air". This he did free of charge, and the result is a livelier headphone containing the liquid midrange but with a bit more sparkle on top.

I still prefer the Vibros, but these bright orange ZMX are pretty sweet in their own right.

You are awakening regret. I really liked those orange ones. I have pulled up pics to stare at them.
redface.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #217 of 1,522
They are certainly great, especially for the price. I don't think I could say anything that your eloquent review of them didn't already state so well. The Vibros are just more vivid, more present, and yet still very smooth. I bet you'll end up with another pair before too long!

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #218 of 1,522
They are certainly great, especially for the price. I don't think I could say anything that your eloquent review of them didn't already state so well. The Vibros are just more vivid, more present, and yet still very smooth. I bet you'll end up with another pair before too long!

Thx.

Of the vibros yes! I may even consider letting this MH40 go for another v.1 because its more comfortable and has better upper mids. Hopefully I can have the mdr z7 at the same time and compare them. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #220 of 1,522
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #221 of 1,522
Got 'em in the mail today! A few brief impressions.

The color in person is less purple than the photos Zach sent me. I ordered 75% cornflower and 25% cardovan--it's a deep, rich, kind of unsaturated looking dark blue. I'll upload a photo that depicts the finish more accurately once I get some batteries in my SLR. 

Anyway, my first impression is that these are significantly more resolving than the HE-400. I'm noticing atmospheric layers in mixes that I've never head before. The soundstage is also a little bigger than the HE-400. However, the presentation is different, especially in the bass. Textures have less bite to them, much smoother but also more detailed. Imaging is very good but the layering is more diffuse.

I'm not quite sure what to think of the bass yet--it's hard to describe. The sub bass is disembodied from the mid bass? There's a hole in the mid bass? Whatever it is, it's not necessarily unpleasant, just different. It's almost more speaker-like. I also get the sense that the "punch" of bass notes is deeper than I'm used to. I tried one, two, and three plugs out and I like three plugs out the best so far. I also need to experiment with the output impedance of my Ember as that tends to make a difference. Needless to say, these sure can kick on the right song. 

Oh yeah, these are also really smooth and non-fatiguing. That's exactly what I was looking for coming from the HE-400. 

EDIT: Some day 2 impressions because I can't help myself. 

I don't know if it's burn-in or just me getting used to the signature, but the bass sounds much more natural now. I'm listening to Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass album, an old favorite, and I'm hearing so much I haven't noticed before--the percussion and bass has just come alive. The drums sound like actual drums, I can pick out different pieces of the drum kit, and the synth bass is clearly differentiated. There were some sounds before that I could never resolve before (cymbals? synths? rattles?) that are now clear, and it really adds to the realism. Microdetail is fantastic. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #222 of 1,522
Great! Play around with the bassports too to find which configuration you like most.

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #223 of 1,522
imo the bass is detailed with a good amount of speed but it has a less focused punch vs an enveloping one like a speaker does. So its more like the latter and enveloping airy punch with a decent amount of body still. There is tons of texture through out, with a smooth balance but overall its highs are not what I consider an example of a dark sounding headphone. 

I really like your set up @manbear it looks good!

I will link your impressions

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #224 of 1,522
When someone has both the Vibro and the Sony Z7, I'd really love a comparison...  they're both going to cost the same for me I believe, so I'm torn

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #225 of 1,522
  When someone has both the Vibro and the Sony Z7, I'd really love a comparison...  they're both going to cost the same for me I believe, so I'm torn

I'm in the same boat. I finally saved up enough money to blow on a pair of good cans, so I'm waiting and seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back