Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon & Aluminium IEM) thread
Jul 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #3,422 of 6,090
I've had that exact feeling before with the Heaven V lol. Makes you feel crazy, huh?
biggrin.gif

But with the QC issues here, it could be something else altogether in this case.
blink.gif

Nice impressions btw, sf.

^
Thanks for the kind words, good to hear that my budget-fi troll drivel comprehensible for ya'll TOTLer.
wink.gif

Nice impressions sfwalcer, so which one tops your list on sound quality across all music genre? Tenore, KC06 or KC06A?

^
Never heard the KC06A, but if you have a set and want to hook me up i'll gladly give you a nice comparo. :  )

But yeah the original KC06 is much more similar to the sound of the VSonic GR07 BE which has a more old school "analog" sound if you will, while these Tenores are closer to the a more hi-def/ 3D sound of the newer school balance armature/ hybrids. Both have their unique qualities/ positives/ negatives.

The tenores like i said is smooth there is no doubt about that, with great lush micro detailing in its mids that is in very high resolution so you will not only get a very good sense of clarity/ precision but 3Dness as well. They are not the fastest sounding iems by a long mile but their speed is just "right" similar to the rest of their sonic spectrum. Sub bass has good depth with little to no mid bass punch/slam so overall it sounds a bit soft if you will.

The Ostry KC06 on the other hand is not really "smooth" sounding if you will, cuz they give you a better sense of clarity/ transparency right off the bat due to it's better treble extension (yes the Ostry KC06 has some of the best treble i have heard with only the DUNU DN1000 treble besting it). But that isn't to say the tenores are not clear, on the contrary they both have great resolution in their mid-range, one is more of the smoother/ silkier variant (tenores) while the other have more crisp clarity (KC06). The soundstage is wider on the Ostrys so this gives a sense that there is slightly more air/ better instrument separation on them as well. Now the bass quality and quantity is what truly separates these two, unlike the tenores the Ostry has much better bass punch and slam, along with decent sub bass depth (though some have complained about they lack sub bass quantity, which i am perfectly happy with in both quantity and quality tbh). Not just that the bass of the Ostry KC06 have MUCH better texture that is akin to VSonics GR07 BEs which is some of the best texture i have heard to date. Due to their unique texture, this is why the KC06s for me has a sense of that old school "analog" sound versus the more vanilla bass/ more smooth HD/3D sound of the tenores.

So there, that's basically the diff to me between these two.

sf walker seems to know his stuff. Very insightful, though in no way are the Ostry KC06 better than the Tenores. Not even close. The KC06 sat middle of the road on bhazard's list for months, until this late hype train hit with the Ostry's. I'm inclined to take bhazard's original take, since mine were so bass wanting and dullard, with top end treble similar to the Pistons, which to this day are detailed, but artificially extended, and good for a budget IEM, but not to be mentioned in the same breath as the Tenores or DUNU 2K

^
Different strokes for different folks, but for me i prefer the sound signature of the KC06 for sure. Not only that but they can be driven straight from my phone while these tenores doesn't even reach loud enough. I would put these two sonically on par technical ability wise but they sound very different as i have already stated.

Oh and for the record bhazard 1st set was defective in the bass as he already stated numerous times hence for their low ranking so.....

You hear how you hear it and i hear how i hear it, but i can't agree with you regarding how you hear the KC06 that's for sure.

Tenore are better the the dunu dn2000 so is the kc06 kc06A as well:blush:... So is the vsd3s .... With more burn in the detail extraction is getting better and better and soundstage is getting better and better as well:blush:

^
meh absolute statements like that don't mean nothin'.  They all have their unique qualities which makes them great and why they all have followers that swear by them. For me i enjoy the KC06 much more then the DUNU DN1000s even though the DN1Ks are technically superior than the Ostrys.

If the tenores are better then the DN2000 than that's pretty sad to hear if true cuz that would mean DUNU have regressed as the tenores for me doesn't even best the DN1000s esp. in the treble/ highs extension due to it having one of the best i have heard to date and makes the tenores sound kinda' bland in comparison.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #3,425 of 6,090
I found the Tenores I tried had better bass definition then the KC06 I purchased for my niece (?_?).

The GR07 BE seemed to best both of them here, providing a cleaner low end that really showcased great texture and balance.

BTW, I wonder how those Tenores are doing? Have they developed any issues or are they still going strong?

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #3,426 of 6,090
I found the Tenores I tried had better bass definition then the KC06 I purchased for my niece (?_?).

The GR07 BE seemed to best both of them here, providing a cleaner low end that really showcased great texture and balance.

BTW, I wonder how those Tenores are doing? Have they developed any issues or are they still going strong?

Those Tenores are still going strong brah

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #3,427 of 6,090
I've had that exact feeling before with the Heaven V lol. Makes you feel crazy, huh? :D

But with the QC issues here, it could be something else altogether in this case. :blink:

Nice impressions btw, sf.

^
Thanks for the kind words, good to hear that my budget-fi troll drivel comprehensible for ya'll TOTLer. :wink:

Nice impressions sfwalcer, so which one tops your list on sound quality across all music genre? Tenore, KC06 or KC06A?

^
Never heard the KC06A, but if you have a set and want to hook me up i'll gladly give you a nice comparo. :  )

But yeah the original KC06 is much more similar to the sound of the VSonic GR07 BE which has a more old school "analog" sound if you will, while these Tenores are closer to the a more hi-def/ 3D sound of the newer school balance armature/ hybrids. Both have their unique qualities/ positives/ negatives.

The tenores like i said is smooth there is no doubt about that, with great lush micro detailing in its mids that is in very high resolution so you will not only get a very good sense of clarity/ precision but 3Dness as well. They are not the fastest sounding iems by a long mile but their speed is just "right" similar to the rest of their sonic spectrum. Sub bass has good depth with little to no mid bass punch/slam so overall it sounds a bit soft if you will.

The Ostry KC06 on the other hand is not really "smooth" sounding if you will, cuz they give you a better sense of clarity/ transparency right off the bat due to it's better treble extension (yes the Ostry KC06 has some of the best treble i have heard with only the DUNU DN1000 treble besting it). But that isn't to say the tenores are not clear, on the contrary they both have great resolution in their mid-range, one is more of the smoother/ silkier variant (tenores) while the other have more crisp clarity (KC06). The soundstage is wider on the Ostrys so this gives a sense that there is slightly more air/ better instrument separation on them as well. Now the bass quality and quantity is what truly separates these two, unlike the tenores the Ostry has much better bass punch and slam, along with decent sub bass depth (though some have complained about they lack sub bass quantity, which i am perfectly happy with in both quantity and quality tbh). Not just that the bass of the Ostry KC06 have MUCH better texture that is akin to VSonics GR07 BEs which is some of the best texture i have heard to date. Due to their unique texture, this is why the KC06s for me has a sense of that old school "analog" sound versus the more vanilla bass/ more smooth HD/3D sound of the tenores.

So there, that's basically the diff to me between these two.

sf walker seems to know his stuff. Very insightful, though in no way are the Ostry KC06 better than the Tenores. Not even close. The KC06 sat middle of the road on bhazard's list for months, until this late hype train hit with the Ostry's. I'm inclined to take bhazard's original take, since mine were so bass wanting and dullard, with top end treble similar to the Pistons, which to this day are detailed, but artificially extended, and good for a budget IEM, but not to be mentioned in the same breath as the Tenores or DUNU 2K

^
Different strokes for different folks, but for me i prefer the sound signature of the KC06 for sure. Not only that but they can be driven straight from my phone while these tenores doesn't even reach loud enough. I would put these two sonically on par technical ability wise but they sound very different as i have already stated.

Oh and for the record bhazard 1st set was defective in the bass as he already stated numerous times hence for their low ranking so.....

You hear how you hear it and i hear how i hear it, but i can't agree with you regarding how you hear the KC06 that's for sure.

Tenore are better the the dunu dn2000 so is the kc06 kc06A as well:blush:... So is the vsd3s .... With more burn in the detail extraction is getting better and better and soundstage is getting better and better as well:blush:

^
meh absolute statements like that don't mean nothin'.  They all have their unique qualities which makes them great and why they all have followers that swear by them. For me i enjoy the KC06 much more then the DUNU DN1000s even though the DN1Ks are technically superior than the Ostrys.

If the tenores are better then the DN2000 than that's pretty sad to hear if true cuz that would mean DUNU have regressed as the tenores for me doesn't even best the DN1000s esp. in the treble/ highs extension due to it having one of the best i have heard to date and makes the tenores sound kinda' bland in comparison.
I have to say i pretty much agree with everything in this post spot on. That's how i hear the two completely. I think the kc06 treble is superb. In terms of pure frequency response the tenores are flatter in my opinion. However, as you said the kc06 to my ears slams better and with noticeably better texture, but without sounding overly bassy. Things sound tighter, crisper and punchier without sounding far from a very neutral response.

To me this makes the sound more engaging even if the response isn't as revealing at every single frequency area. And comparatively i don't hear anything on the tenore i can't hear on the ostry. They just excel in slightly different ways.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #3,429 of 6,090
I don't mean to offend with my nolove of the Ostry, and my devotion to the Tenores. And my apologies to sfwalker if this item about bhazard's first pair were defective is true. I didn't see that. TBH, the Tenores love and usage is probably on borrowed time? As soon as those Doppio drop on my doorstep, I'm sure they'll take over the reigns from there.

The issue with the DUNU, VSonic, and Ostry's in the treble is not it's extension, decay, clarity, or timbre...it's the sibilance. All of them have it, and in the case of the DUNU and VSonic, has peaks that no amount of burn in cured. That's why I sold them. Not that I didn't appreciate the technical abilities or the treble, it was that they are tuned peaky. The Tenores?? No such problem at all. AT ALL! This might be what mochill speaks of when he says they are better too?

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3,430 of 6,090
I don't mean to offend with my nolove of the Ostry, and my devotion to the Tenores. And my apologies to sfwalker if this item about bhazard's first pair were defective is true. I didn't see that. TBH, the Tenores love and usage is probably on borrowed time? As soon as those Doppio drop on my doorstep, I'm sure they'll take over the reigns from there.

The issue with the DUNU, VSonic, and Ostry's in the treble is not it's extension, decay, clarity, or timbre...it's the sibilance. All of them have it, and in the case of the DUNU and VSonic, has peaks that no amount of burn in cured. That's why I sold them. Not that I didn't appreciate the technical abilities or the treble, it was that they are tuned peaky. The Tenores?? No such problem at all. AT ALL! This might be what mochill speaks of when he says they are better too?

This is why i think it is fit mostly. I hear absolutely no sibilance on my kc06. No more than my tenores :)

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #3,431 of 6,090
This is why i think it is fit mostly. I hear absolutely no sibilance on my kc06. No more than my tenores :)

I'm not the only one who heard sibilance on tracks with the KC06, but I will say it was nowhere near as prominent as the DUNU or VSonic. No. I'd compare it to the Pistons. Every so often, especially on older tracks.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #3,432 of 6,090
  These look good on graph:

Final Audio Heaven S

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FinalAudioHeavenS.pdf

Have a look at the Heaven II, it's a fraction of the price and looks even better with Olive-Welti treble and pretty flat everywhere else (still has the harmonic distortion problem). It's too bad because Rin's graphs for all the FADs show about +5dB midbass compared to Tyll's for some reason.

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3,433 of 6,090

^
Tenores have better bass definition but Ostry KC06 have better bass texture maybe ((((((d ?_?b)))))

There is a diff no???

I have to say i pretty much agree with everything in this post spot on. That's how i hear the two completely. I think the kc06 treble is superb. In terms of pure frequency response the tenores are flatter in my opinion. However, as you said the kc06 to my ears slams better and with noticeably better texture, but without sounding overly bassy. Things sound tighter, crisper and punchier without sounding far from a very neutral response.

To me this makes the sound more engaging even if the response isn't as revealing at every single frequency area. And comparatively i don't hear anything on the tenore i can't hear on the ostry. They just excel in slightly different ways.

^
Welp that's great to hear, seems like you didn't sacrifice your "reference" tenores in total vain. : P

If you put in THAT way, but why obsess over the "flat-ness" of a sound signature when you can just enjoy the music as long as it speaks to you in an emotional level.

^
i don't mean to get on your case cuz you hear what you hear/ have your own personal preferences so who am i to judge. Some people are more sensitive to sibilance while others are not as much, but yeah the DUNU DN1K, VSonic GR07 BE, Ostry all have great extension in their treble that can be a bit bright for some, but i can't say it's THAT bad having come from the likes of the JVC FX40, FXD70, FX101 etc. LoL

NOW THOSE will fo' sho give you some nice peaky/sibilant/harsh ear rapin'. Those were some dark bright tymes meng.
triportsad.gif

Who knows what he be talkin' about half of the tyme.
tongue.gif

^
Yeah the stock tips didn't do much for me, and i found the TE-05 tips gave me the best hassle free fit/ sound so tips/seal for sure make diff, same goes with your source, etc as everyone is well aware by now....

I'm not the only one who heard sibilance on tracks with the KC06, but I will say it was nowhere near as prominent as the DUNU or VSonic. No. I'd compare it to the Pistons. Every so often, especially on older tracks.

^
Welp if you put it THAT way, those piss_tons has no treble. : P

Jul 9, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #3,434 of 6,090
  Have a look at the Heaven II, it's a fraction of the price and looks even better with Olive-Welti treble and pretty flat everywhere else (still has the harmonic distortion problem). It's too bad because Rin's graphs for all the FADs show about +5dB midbass compared to Tyll's for some reason.

Welp.  Looking at these distortions, I'm curious which iem has the least.  Anybody happen to know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back