Yulong's new DA8
Apr 22, 2013 at 7:36 AM Post #32 of 544
Quote:
The price approximate RMB 6800 USD 1100

I think i can bend a little for that price
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #34 of 544
Quote:
Looks very nice... Love the Jitter enhancer button... I wonder if you go back in time when its pressed??

It's actually a jitter eliminator button, and it can only take you into the future - everyone knows the ES9018 chip is not equipped to travel back in time. It was either that or DSD capability and ESS wisely chose the latter. 

Apr 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #36 of 544
Quote:

It's actually a jitter eliminator button, and it can only take you into the future - everyone knows the ES9018 chip is not equipped to travel back in time. It was either that or DSD capability and ESS wisely chose the latter. 

For people born after 80 or 90, probably only know mp3, steaming, spotify...   For them, DSD is a feature to travel back in time.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #37 of 544
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1450134
new info
SABRE DA8 specifications:
●THD+N less than 0.0002%,dynamic range 133dB,Idle noise 1.5uV
●USB support 32bit,384KHZ PCM signal
●DSD native decode
●5 filter mode
●phase +/- adjustable
●jitter eliminator adjustable
●filter,phase,jitter eliminator,can combine different voice style.
●high-precision DPLL auto lock bandwidth
●80 level volume control
●balanced/unbalanced pre-amp output
●balance pre-amp Can be used drive balance headphone
●can switch off headphone amp and pre-amp.use as a pure DAC
●class A headphone amp
●headphone amp have protection circuit.
●TFT LCD,easy to use.decrease 80%luminance after without any manipulate in 5 seconds
●auto-save user settings
●厚铝合金机箱,纯铝按键,旋扭,避震机脚
●100V-240V voltage adaptable

bad translation......

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #38 of 544
forgetting amp stuff

单端耳放输出功率: 600欧:70mw    300欧:150mw  150R:280mw  32R:1W   

although it doesn't seem like much was said about the amp section

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #39 of 544
Puts it right in the ballpark of the Matrix X-Sabre. Very interesting, I think a shootout is in order 
size]

Also, it seems like there is a preorder price of 6000 Yuan (down from 6680) from the erji thread.. I wonder if that will extend to America as well. Possibly through Grant Fidelity?

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #40 of 544
in addition to these,

* Charity sale for the victims of recent Ya'an (shichuan province) earthquake.    Yulong donated two DA8 units to erji.net for sale. 
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1448919
Sale date:  April 25~29

* The XLR output on the back can be used to drive balanced headphones.

* Components:

- ESS9018
- AD797 * 5    For voltage and low pass filter
- OPA1632 * 2   Buffer and pre-amp
- Headphone amp using 'diamond buffer circuit'
- Transformer:   Canada plitron
- Power supply using LT1129/LT3021 and wima thin film capacitor
- Analog circuit using Panasonic FC high frequency low resistance capacitors, VISHAY BC046, WIMA MKS2, NPO
- USB using custom board Combo384, collaborated with Italian comapny Amanero.   Support DSD, PCM 32Bit, 384KHZ.    Good compatibility with Mac OSX  Linux, Windows

Quote:
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1450134
new info
SABRE DA8 specifications:
●THD+N less than 0.0002%,dynamic range 133dB,Idle noise 1.5uV
●USB support 32bit,384KHZ PCM signal
●DSD native decode
●5 filter mode
●phase +/- adjustable
●jitter eliminator adjustable
●filter,phase,jitter eliminator,can combine different voice style.
●high-precision DPLL auto lock bandwidth
●80 level volume control
●balanced/unbalanced pre-amp output
●balance pre-amp Can be used drive balance headphone
●can switch off headphone amp and pre-amp.use as a pure DAC
●class A headphone amp
●headphone amp have protection circuit.
●TFT LCD,easy to use.decrease 80%luminance after without any manipulate in 5 seconds
●auto-save user settings
●厚铝合金机箱,纯铝按键,旋扭,避震机脚
●100V-240V voltage adaptable

bad translation......

Apr 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #42 of 544
Thanks for the info! A few thoughts: 

*I wonder about the five different filters - AFAIK the ES9018 should have two stock filters in the chip itself, which are Fast Roll-Off and Slow Roll-Off. These are present in my Invicta and are fine but not my favorites. For the remaining three options, did Yulong make their own? In any case, it's nice to see options as many ES9018 based DACs don't let you choose and don't even specify which internal filter they use.

*The headphone amp sounds similar to the setup used in the D100 as well as the A100 dedicated amp. Or at least it delivers very similar power into the various loads. 

*OPA1632 is a very nice opamp, and I've never seen Yulong use it before. It appears in the I/V stage of the Anedio D2. Of course the AD797 is a classic as well but Yulong has a history with that chip (in their D18 DAC).

*I don't know of any commercial products using that Amanero Combo384 but some folks put it on the same level as the XMOS solution. Like XMOS it's got a built-in CPLD (which is like a less complex FPGA chip that is not as tweakable). It doesn't appear to output an SPDIF signal I'm thinking Yulong connects the Combo384 directly to the ES9018 via I2S? 

In any case, looks like quite a nice design and implementation, and I'll be curious to see how it stacks up to similarly priced competitors like Matrix X-Sabre and NuForce DAC-100. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #43 of 544
In any case, looks like quite a nice design and implementation, and I'll be curious to see how it stacks up to similarly priced competitors like Matrix X-Sabre and NuForce DAC-100. 

I think the main competition is the Weiss DAC :)

Apr 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #44 of 544
Quote:
I think the main competition is the Weiss DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

agree,   yulong posted that he achieved better measurements compared to weiss 202.     early listener's impression is that performance is on par with 202, the only difference is sound characteristics.    

from the measurement charts on erji.net, it is on par with benchmark dac2 hgc's plots.   can't find good chars of 202 measurements online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back