Your favorite quotes.
Apr 28, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #16 of 168
If you could be told what you can see or read, then it follows that you could be told what to say or think.
- Boards of Canada

Apr 28, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #17 of 168
Quite a few I have collected: ENJOY!

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem of innocence inside you that makes you want to believe that there still exists a right and wrong, that decency will somehow triumph in the end.
- Lise Hand, describing Irish journalist Veronica Guerin, who was killed as a result of her investigations of Irish organized crime.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I had my life to live over again, I would have made a rule to read some poetry and listen to some music at least once a week.
- Charles Darwin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
- Abraham Lincoln
Our greatest happiness in life does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
- Thomas Jefferson
Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much can be done if we are always doing.
- Thomas Jefferson advising his daughter Martha, 1787.
The life that conquers is the life that moves with a steady resolution and persistence toward a predetermined goal. Those who succeed are those who have thoroughly learned the immense importance of plan in life, and the tragic brevity of time.
- W.J. Davison
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life.
-Beethoven
Shallow men believe in luck, believe in circumstances -- it was somebody's name, or he happened to be there at the time, or it was so then, and another day would have been otherwise. Strong men believe in cause and effect.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
- Phillips Brooks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do not dare to live without some clear intention toward which your living shall be bent. Mean to be something with all your might.
- Phillips Brooks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most true happiness comes from one's inner life, from the disposition of the mind and soul. Admittedly, a good inner life is hard to achieve, especially in these trying times. It takes reflection and contemplation and self-discipline.
- W. L. Shirer
Enjoyment is not a goal, it is a feeling that accompanies important ongoing activity.
- Paul Goodman
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper.
- Aristotle
When we associate with the virtuous we form ourselves in imitation of their virtues, or at least lose, every day, something of our faults.
- Agapet
Seek out that particular mental attribute which makes you feel most deeply and vitally alive, along with which comes the inner voice which says, "This is the real me," and when you have found that attitude, follow it.
- William James
Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman
The greatest discovery of my generation is that man can alter his life simply by altering his attitude of mind.
- William James
Man's greatest actions are performed in minor struggles. Life, misfortune, isolation, abandonment and poverty are battlefields which have their heroes - obscure heroes who are at times greater than illustrious heroes.
- Victor Hugo
The world of achievement has always belonged to the optimist.
- J. Harold Wilkins
Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
- Mark Twain
A day dawns, quite like other days; in it, a single hour comes, quite like other hours; but in that day and in that hour the chance of a lifetime faces us.
- Maltbie Babcock
To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws, to be led by permanent ideals - that is what keeps a man patient when the world ignores him, and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him.
- Honore De Balzac
To be capable of steady friendship or lasting love, are the two greatest proofs, not only of goodness of heart, but of strength of mind.
- William Hazlitt
No man who has once heartily and wholly laughed can be altogether irreclaimably bad.
- Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881), Scottish historian and essayist
Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.
- Anonymous
Gentlemen, why don't you laugh? With the fearful strain that is upon me night and day, if I did not laugh, I should die.
- Abraham Lincoln
To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way.
- Anonymous
The sign of intelligent people is their ability to control emotions by the application of reason.
- Marya Mannes
Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world.
- - George Bernard Shaw
We come into this world crying while all around us are smiling. May we so live that we go out of this world smiling while everybody around us is weeping.
- - Persian proverb
Beauty, truth, friendship, love, creation - these are the great values of life. We can't prove them, or explain them, yet they are the most stable things in our lives.
- Jesse Herman Holmes
Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't do this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind, you'll never use crutches or a stick, then have a go at everything. Go to school, join in all the games you can. Go anywhere you want to. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible.
- Sir Douglas Bader, a British fighter pilot who lost both legs in a flying accident, but still fought in World War Two. He was knighted for his work with the disabled, and the quote above is from his talk to a 14-year-old boy who had lost a leg in a car accident.
The best portion of a good man's life are the little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and love.
- William Wordsworth
Genius is eternal patience.
- -- Michelangelo
To know a truth well, one must have fought it out.
- -- Novalis
Some day, in years to come, you will be wrestling with the great temptation, or trembling under the great sorrow of your life. But the real struggle is here, now, in these quiet weeks. Now it is being decided whether, in the day of your supreme sorrow or temptation, you shall miserably fail or gloriously conquer. Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process.
- -- Phillips Brooks
I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
- -- Abraham Lincoln
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
- -- Samuel Butler (1835-1902) British writer
Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much can be done if we are always doing.
- -- Thomas Jefferson advising his daughter Martha, 1787.
Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he's been given.
- Anton Chekhov (1860-1904) Russian dramatist and writer
Optimism is essential to achievement and it is also the foundation of courage and true progress.
- -- Nicholas Murray Butler
A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn't feel like it.
- -- Alistair Cooke
Education is not the taming or domestication of the soul's raw passions -- not suppressing them or excising them, which would deprive the soul of its energy -- but forming and informing them as art.
- -- Allen Bloom
So, then, to every man his chance -- to every man, regardless of his birth, his shining golden opportunity -- to every man his right to live, to work, to be himself, to become whatever his manhood and his vision can combine to make him -- this, seeker, is the promise of America.
- -- Thomas Wolfe
The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.
- Joseph Addison
To do the useful thing, to say the courageous thing, to contemplate the beautiful thing: that is enough for one man's life.
- T.S. Eliot

A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails.
- Source Unknown
"Only the connoisseur who can surmise the inner organization and feel it and penetrate to the intention of the artist, which does nothing needlessly, is privileged to judge here; indeed the judgment of a musical connoisseur can scarcely be better tested than by seeing how rightly he has learned the works of Bach."
- Forkel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius."
- W.A. Mozart
"As death, when we come to consider it closely, is the true goal of our existence, I have formed during the last few years such close relations with this best and truest friend of mankind, that his image is not only no longer terrifying to me, but is indeed very soothing and consoling! And I thank my God for graciously granting me the opportunity … of learning that death is the key which unlocks the door to our true happiness. "
- W.A. Mozart
Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
- Helen Keller
The happy people are those who are producing something; the bored people are those who are consuming much and producing nothing.
- - William Ralph Inge
It is from Barth's "A Letter of Thanks to Mozart" written in 1955

"What the state of music is where you are now[i.e. heaven] I can
only faintly surmise. Once upon a time I formulated my notion
in this way: it may be that when the angels go about their task
of praising God, they play only Bach. I am sure, however that
when they are together en famille, they play Mozart and that
then too our dear Lord listens with special pleasure."

Apr 28, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #18 of 168
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home." -James Madison

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 168
"not everyone who drinks Bud Light is a jackass, but all jackasses drink Bud Light." -some bartender

Apr 28, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #21 of 168
"The truth has never been of any real value to any human being - it is a symbol for mathematicians and philosophers to pursue. In human relations kindness and lies are worth a thousand truths."
- Graham Greene

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #22 of 168
[size=x-large]Lock and load, Baby![/size]
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 168
Apr 30, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #27 of 168
"I've never even heard of this building before..."
-UMBC tour guide

"This sucker screams thunderous and wicked despair out of my stack with fervent torture and abandonment! Buy one of these and you'll never play your other guitars again!"
&
"If you play metal, THIS IS YOUR SLAUGHTERING AXE!"
-Musician's Friend reviews

"If your feces smelled like apple pie, you'd have some pretty nasty stomach diseases"
-twifosp

"I think we should make the ULTIMATE amendment, call it that, and have it erase everything and just say YES in huge-ass letters"

"SUCH A BLATANT AND OBVIOUS TYPO SHOULD BE SHUNNED!"

iPod’s “new 20-band EQ”…
Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Yeah...all they use is the 1-band EQ, it's labeled "sounds worse"
-D-EJ915

I think that's enough for now, I just had to pimp myself and some forum guys.

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #28 of 168
Here's 2 more quotes I found that are pretty funny:

"When someone hands you a flyer, it's like they're saying here you throw this away."

"Mr. Pibb is a poor imitation of Dr. Pepper. Dude didn't even get his degree"

--Mitch Hedberg

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #30 of 168
Me: OK ma'am please make sure your ethernet cable is firmly seated in the jack.

Customer: Oh, my ethernet card flew out!

Me: Uh... That's something you need to speak with Dell about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back