Your favorite quotes.
Apr 27, 2005 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 160

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
Post the quotes that have had an impact on the way you think and act. Post your favorite ones. Post your funny ones.

I'll kick things off with a few of my favorite Jefferson Quotes:

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock."

I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."

"Information is the currency of democracy."

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites."

--Thomas Jefferson, America's 3rd President, Author of the Declaration of Independence, Lived 1762 to 1826. Personal Hero.

[size=x-small]Please note: While the quotes posted in this thread might contain political or religious undertones, the meaning of the quotes themselves are not to be discussed to avoid breaking forum rules. Let's keep this just to quotes.[/size]

Apr 27, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

i've seen this attributed to jefferson, but i'm fairly certain that, while he did help author a similar provision for virginia's state constitution, he did not actually say this or express such a sentiment.

sticking with the era, i'm fond of this quote, from james madison:

"Learned Institutions ought to be favorite objects with every free people. They throw that light over the public mind which is the best security against crafty & dangerous encroachments on the public liberty."

Apr 27, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 160
To Travel is to Live
-H.C. Andersen (translated by me
rolleyes.gif
) So true btw.

Learn as if you were to live forever. Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
-Gandhi

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 160
I've seen a lot of great and funny quotes...but one makes me laugh and think at once. Not just at/about the quote, but also at/about life, because sometimes you just can't take it too seriously....

"What if the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about...?"

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 160
Awesome quote on marriage:

"We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."
--Beverly Clark (Susan Sarandon) in 'Shall We Dance?'

We need a witness to our lives... this quote really got me thinking.

Apr 28, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #9 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
"No matter where you go,there you are"

OMG Rick - that is my favorite Buckaroo quote!

I also like:

"you're never late until you get there" - Bernard McQuillan, High School Teacher

"all you need is love" - John and Paul

"I am somebody!" - Jesse Jackson

Apr 28, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 160
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

-Billy Madison

(sry if this post was too crude)
biggrin.gif

Mod Edit: It was and has been removed.

Apr 28, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 160
"Ahh, you gotta love these parallel universes!" - Simon Grady (by Geraint Wyn Davies), Cube 2: Hypercubed

"Look, an activist!" - Emanuel Goldstein, Freedom Downtime

"Tuesday would be a good time for you to come back and get lost, okay goodbye. Sorry." - Janitor, The Terminal

"This isn't talking, this is making noises. Why don't we just grunt at each other." - Fat Man and Little Boy, Jeanne on phone

"Now, would you mind having someone transport this junk to the cargo bay? It's cluttering up my lab." - The Doctor, ST: Voyager, S02E02

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 160
"It's difficult to make things fool-proof, because fools are so resourceful"

- Anon.

Apr 28, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #14 of 160
"You can never teach a man anything, you can only help him discover it within himself."

- Galileo

"Golf is a good walk......spoiled."

- Mark Twain

"If it sounds good, it is good."

- Duke Ellington

Users who are viewing this thread

Back