Your biggest headphones dissappointment?
Mar 16, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #31 of 363
My biggest dissapointment is the HD-6XX family. I owned the HD-600 for two years. Used them a lot. Grew more and more dissatisfied with the bass bloat and sense of congestion and sold the pair after picking up the AKG k-501.

Biggest surprise? How much I like the Sennheiser PX-100! Great headphones for the money and completely portable.

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #32 of 363
This is a pretty interesing thread. I certainly did not expect to see higher end senns come up so much, and I see almost no grado.

Personnally I'm really glad my friend bought er-6's as it saved me from probably having to return er4s. Better sound than I though could come out of a canalphone/earbud (even the er6) but I just didn't find them corfortable, and the foamies wouldn't even fit in my ear.

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #33 of 363
No major headphone disappointments yet, but a few mild ones:

grado sr225 - These are decent, but on a long term basis, I could only live with them in a portable rig. The stock bowls were useless to me. No matter what pads are used I always heard some kind of serious flaw in the presentation, and technical merit is not quite up to what I expect from $200 headphone (this goes double for build quality). These were my first grado and I was expecting more from the house sound; fortunately the hp-2 finally delivered in spades.

akg k271s - These fall just a little short of what I would consider good sound. I would consider these way overpriced, but their saving grace is excellent isolation in combinantion with a decent, non-recessed midrange (which is unusual in a highly isolating can). However, I was expecting more after owning the k340. Resolution/instrument separation is poor and the bass is weak.

akg k401 - These were actually quite good considering the prices they have gone for used. However, since these are said to be close to the k501, I was expecting more given all the recent "I hate bloated senns and love my k501" posts
tongue.gif
If the 501 is more of the same, then the dry presentation and thin bass surely won't convince me to switch in this lifetime. Again, I much preferred the k340.

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #34 of 363
Biggest dissapointments:

1. AT-EHM7's - cool looks but it all ended there. Just could not get over the complete lack of bass. None, Nada, Nothing.... Sold them.

2. McCormack MID amp - got it to drive Senn 600's. This combination produced the most lifeless, boring, 'hifi' sound. Sold it.

3. HD-650's - this one is borderline, waiting to pass judgement until I hear them on the Raptor.....

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #35 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
These fall just a little short of what I would consider good sound.
However, I was expecting more after owning the k340.

hehe... Well I would agree that comparing them to the K340's shows their weaknesses pretty quick, but when comparing them to other closed headphones they lead the pack as far as I am concerned.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #36 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
hehe... Well I would agree that comparing them to the K340's shows their weaknesses pretty quick, but when comparing them to other closed headphones they lead the pack as far as I am concerned.

True, I don't have experience with any closed cans better than the k271 and k340 - so I'm comparing it mostly to open designs. That's why I said its isolation + decent midrange was its saving grace, and why I haven't sold it yet - great for office use w/ an ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

However, considering I paid less for the k340...it didn't impress me with sound quality value for the $, lol!

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #37 of 363
Of the headphones that I have purchased, I would have to say the Grado SR-225's, probably because of the hype surrounding these. Really hated the poor build quality & materials. Also disliked the lack of bass & the piercing highs.

My biggest disappointment from a headphone I have not purchased is from the much discussed Sony Qualias 010. A disappointment in almost every way.

- augustwest

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #38 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
My biggest disappointment from a headphone I have not purchased is from the much discussed Sony Qualias 010. A disappointment in almost every way.
- augustwest

Wow, the reactions in contrast to the initial hype have hit the Qualia hard. I guess that makes the Qualia 010 the the most disappointing headphone I've never heard, LOL
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #39 of 363
One good phones that I really tried my best to like is K501 ... and still failed miserably. Very difficult to enjoy music through them.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #40 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen
This is a pretty interesing thread. I certainly did not expect to see higher end senns come up so much, and I see almost no grado.

Disappointment is also very relative. You can't be all that disappointed with $15 earbuds because you're not expecting much. Then if you happen to get something decent, you're pleasantly surprised. However, when a headphone costs $2600, you put them on with Very high expectations and are really just setting yourself up for disappointment. It is interesting to see few grados here, though.

I've been lucky in my limited purchases. A few big disappointments with DAPs, but I've liked all the headphones I've bought.

Mar 16, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #41 of 363
Grado SR125 - bought these pre-Head-Fi. Searingly bright

Senn HD650 - a headphone I admire in many ways. I just don't find them involving. My fault, I'm sure.

BW

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #42 of 363
senn hd457 - dull, muddy, bass drowns out all of music, wooly
sounding. I bought it as my first headphone after
believing all senn sounds good. Boy, was i wrong
and i actually paid the full 39.99 for these at compusa.
Im glad i found this place to understand the differences
smily_headphones1.gif

senn hd212pro - way too much bass, good for movies and thats about
it. Extended highs was harsh and gave me terrible
headaches. Uncomfortable ear cups that clamped on
like no other.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #43 of 363
Senn HD25-SP

Nice bass and mids but absent highs - to my ear. I should have looked at the specs before purchasing - rather than looking at it's older brother's reviews (HD25).

Mar 16, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #44 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by YngwieJMalmsteen

Personnally I'm really glad my friend bought er-6's as it saved me from probably having to return er4s. Better sound than I though could come out of a canalphone/earbud (even the er6) but I just didn't find them corfortable, and the foamies wouldn't even fit in my ear.

Well your going to see a Grado now.The 125s didn't do to much for me,no bass,very little if any soundstage.Thats not a knock against all Grados.I'm sure their higher end models sound much better.Biggist suprise? How much I love my DT770s.Never thought I would find a closed can that sounded so good.

Mar 16, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #45 of 363
Beyer Dt770

As much as people rave about these...they've got way too much bass, no mids to speak of, and incredibly harsh/grating highs. Not good for anything other than gaming, imo.

Add to that, they're not terribly comfy either. I'll take my a500s, thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back