You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #1,531 of 6,356
When you give up trying to explain to people why you use a Sansa Clip+ or Fuze v2 instead of an iPod nano/shuffle

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,532 of 6,356
Quote:
When you buy new headphones, realize you no longer like a lot of bass emphasis, and wanna re-evaluate your purchases, and replace everything with more neutral stuff.
frown.gif

hahaha that was me
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #1,534 of 6,356

Quote:
When you give up trying to explain to people why you use a Sansa Clip+ or Fuze v2 instead of an iPod nano/shuffle

They don't get, "it sounds better"? It isn't THAT hard of a concept to grasp.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #1,535 of 6,356
Dec 16, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #1,536 of 6,356
You weigh the pros and cons of numerous auditory factors, demo countless products, make your informed decision, apply that decision in the implementation of your set-up, acquire the appropriate headphone/amp/cable/source configuration and blast screeching old school Black Metal.  

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #1,537 of 6,356

They don't get, "it sounds better"? It isn't THAT hard of a concept to grasp.

Not per se. The iPod classic sounds pretty good, especially when paired with a decent amp.
5.5th gen is supposedly better than 6th gen though, as 5.5th gen uses a high-end Wolfson (WM8758) instead of Cirrus chip.

You know you are an audiophile when you know what DAC is inside your DAP.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #1,538 of 6,356
Quote:
Not per se. The iPod classic sounds pretty good, especially when paired with a decent amp.
5.5th gen is supposedly better than 6th gen though, as 5.5th gen uses a high-end Wolfson (WM8758) instead of Cirrus chip.
You know you are an audiophile when you know what DAC is inside your DAP.

Yes the dac is better, but the internal amp in the 5.5th gen is incredibly useless. It can power some 32ohm portables like the RX300 and Denon P372 very well, but doesn't fare well with much else. IEM's and full-size headphones above 55ohm don't sound like their even being driven well. In comparison the amp in the classic is much more useful and makes most headphones sound well balanced and nice enough. The Classic makes both my HD560 (300ohm) and K271 (55ohm) sound well presented and nice. The 5.5g gen sounds tiny and bassless in comparison with both. An amp is necessary with the 5.5th gen but not the classic.

The classic isn't great but does most things well enough. That's the conclusion I've come up with from owning both. 5.5th gen is basically for iMod, rockbox (folder support) or both. No point in owning it otherwise.

Quote:
Might be an audiophile if you open your car's windows to get that "open" sound out of your car's stereo. 

You know your an audiophile when you don't want to open your cars "seal" and lose that imaging and space :p

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,539 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when your PCs built in sound drivers don't work, you don't know why, and you do not care
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #1,540 of 6,356
You know you're an audiophile when you really need that bedside rig....even if you don't listen to music when you're in bed

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #1,542 of 6,356
I laughed at the comment of opening car windows for open sound... I actually never thought of it, but I always drive with the window down and music playing, then if it gets cold in winter (like really cold) I might close it, then shortly after reopen it because the sound doesn't sound as good!

I have Boston Acoustics in my car now, but I have to stop spending money on headphones so I can save up for an Audi next.  I want a B&O rig with me everywhere I go (amongst the other more important reasons to buy one... right? lol)!  I drive way too much =/

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #1,543 of 6,356
Quote:
I laughed at the comment of opening car windows for open sound... I actually never thought of it, but I always drive with the window down and music playing, then if it gets cold in winter (like really cold) I might close it, then shortly after reopen it because the sound doesn't sound as good!

I disagree, car environments are way to loud and far from ideal. That's like listening in a loud environment with earbuds or open headphones. If I can afford to cut myself off from the world safely when driving I'd prefer to keep the windows closed.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #1,544 of 6,356
when you spend billion dollars on your stereo system to listen to Madonna.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,545 of 6,356
For me it's after I listen to about 30 minutes of music without realizing I didn't actually "listen" to the music, I listened for small background details or specific things like cymbals to compare different headphones or sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back