You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Apr 20, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #5,087 of 6,112
YKYAAW you are busy checking out what the dude is wearing on his ears and what gears he is carrying just like girls busy checking out what the chick is wearing and what handbag she is carrying

Apr 20, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #5,088 of 6,112
  Do you think I could find a cheaper cassette player with a line out or and plug that into the line in on my computer? I really don't plan on converting many cassettes, I just have this one for the moment; if I could find a player for cheap at Goodwill with LO, would the SQ be okay?

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the player's head alignment, you'd probably get a decently listenable digital copy. Unless you have loads of really well-recorded cassettes to archive, spending more would not be cost-effective.

On the other hand, an ADC with USB output can be used for copying LPs as well as cassettes (and other sources), so if you want to archive your analogue recordings, it would be worth getting.

If you have only one cassette and don't plan to do any other archiving, do you know anyone with a cassette deck or portable that you could use?

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #5,091 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you post this link, and you know that at least few will fiind it very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIrdnYnL5-o

At first, I was like "Meh, just another random YouTube link I won't care about."...and then was like "Waitasecond...Hinamizawa? What is this?"...and then "LOL. Nice."

I wonder who else in this thread other than us two are Higurashi fans. I'm watching through the anime for the third time now.

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #5,092 of 6,112
I watched it three times, and umineko more than two times. 

I also watch lots of other animes, for example, YKYAAW you wonder if Ikaros has some kind of super efficient hearing, and gets more pleasure from listening to music. 

Here is another link, you might also enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VaxG0BPeZ8

and this one, if you can accept russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVALjxiYY4M - i particulary fiind this one extremely good.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #5,093 of 6,112
YKYAAW you are seriously planning on buying...

*drumroll*

...this!

http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

The Schiit Yggdrasil has been hyped up for years. One of the most advanced DACs ever made.

Someone I know even told me it outperforms five figure DACs!

Here is a preview impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/752914/yggdrasil-a-p-review-two-days-of-paradise

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #5,094 of 6,112
YKYAAW you buy the Yggdrasil dac, but you do not have a computer. I just have a dedicated cd transport.. My next purchase will be some mid level laptop.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #5,095 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you are seriously planning on buying...

*drumroll*

...this!

http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

The Schiit Yggdrasil has been hyped up for years. One of the most advanced DACs ever made.

Someone I know even told me it outperforms five figure DACs!

Here is a preview impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/752914/yggdrasil-a-p-review-two-days-of-paradise

Considering the technology behind it, i can already tell how it is going to sound, i am not that much a fan of bit perfect for DACs, upsampling and DSPs are better, in my view. It will sound exactly like the song "was recorded".

I can only advice you to also listen to hugo before buying, the upsampling thing it does might suit metal music better.

You Know You Are NOT An Audiophile But Music Enthusiast when you cannot care less about using usb galvanic isolation, or power conditioners, or some of the high end snake oil.

YKYAAW you buy the Yggdrasil dac, but you do not have a computer. I just have a dedicated cd transport.. My next purchase will be some mid level laptop.

i can hardly explain how this is a bad ideea as computer based music is much easyer to archive, another thing you might want to consider is an external HDD of at least 5TB.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #5,096 of 6,112
  Considering the technology behind it, i can already tell how it is going to sound, i am not that much a fan of bit perfect for DACs, upsampling and DSPs are better, in my view. It will sound exactly like the song "was recorded".

I can only advice you to also listen to hugo before buying, the upsampling thing it does might suit metal music better.

YKYAAW you want to reproduce the recording accurately -- which is the definition of what an audiophile is!
biggrin.gif

I can do upsampling in software like HQPlayer, anyway. I think the only point of the real-time upsampling is to help your DAC interact with your computer better.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #5,097 of 6,112

YKYAAW you want to reproduce the recording accurately -- which is the definition of what an audiophile is!
biggrin.gif

I can do upsampling in software like HQPlayer, anyway. I think the only point of the real-time upsampling is to help your DAC interact with your computer better.

... It is a lot of pages to write, and i must first talk 30 minutes about niquyst frequency. 

But, yes, if you want to reproduce what was recorded, you are in for a treat with that DAC.

I am trying to reproduce what was in there before the thing was recorded, this is where upsampling and such come in handy. Of course, it still has errors, and some of it is based off guessing what actually was there, but i can live with that as it comes closer to real life experience. Fiio x5 is already an extremely good DAC, i heared no improovement in ifi idsd DAC compared, and it is considered one of the best bit perfect DACs.

I think that i am not an audiophile but very enthusiast about music, as i have completley other standards from what audiophiles usually have.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #5,098 of 6,112
  ... It is a lot of pages to write, and i must first talk 30 minutes about niquyst frequency. 

But, yes, if you want to reproduce what was recorded, you are in for a treat with that DAC.

I am trying to reproduce what was in there before the thing was recorded, this is where upsampling and such come in handy. Of course, it still has errors, and some of it is based off guessing what actually was there, but i can live with that as it comes closer to real life experience. Fiio x5 is already an extremely good DAC, i heared no improovement in ifi idsd DAC compared, and it is considered one of the best bit perfect DACs.

I think that i am not an audiophile but very enthusiast about music, as i have completley other standards from what audiophiles usually have.

Before it was recorded? You can't reproduce things that aren't even in the recording. Like I said, upsampling would just help the DAC work more efficiently. I think what you mean is that it just sounds more realistic. In any case, you should actually hear something before talking about how it sounds. That being said, I highly doubt the Hugo sounds anywhere near as good as the Yggdrasil.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #5,100 of 6,112

Before it was recorded? You can't reproduce things that aren't even in the recording. Like I said, upsampling would just help the DAC work more efficiently. I think what you mean is that it just sounds more realistic. In any case, you should actually hear something before talking about how it sounds. That being said, I highly doubt the Hugo sounds anywhere near as good as the Yggdrasil.

Hugo is not bit perfect. it does a load of DSP processing, so the sound cannot be compared, it will be very different.

the ultimate question is not who is right, but who fiinds the happiness faster, and harvests more happiness.

We are all wrong, audiophile is a wrong hobby, nothing no matter what we do can reproduce the sentiment of the live performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back