You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Apr 18, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #5,071 of 6,112
2 rules on: How to not to loose your entire live savings/college money to gear:  
1) only buy things you still consider worth buying one year after your audition 
2) only buy things if there is an objective 'need' for them / broken (although this could be read in various ways)

follow these rules and everyone should be fairly ok...sadly its not how this hobby works

YKYAAW more often than not, whatever money is in your bank account gets spent on audio gear. XD

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #5,072 of 6,112

YKYAAW more often than not, whatever money is in your bank account gets spent on audio gear. XD

exactly...people on here have literally NO self-control ...

...ergo...

You know you are an audiophile when you have lost virtually all semblance of self-control and self-regulation.

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #5,073 of 6,112
  exactly...people on here have literally NO self-control ...

...ergo...

You know you are an audiophile when you have lost virtually all semblance of self-control and self-regulation.

Case in point: YKYAAW you will be homeless if you don't come up with the money to pay for a new apartment by the end of the month...yet you're STILL getting the HD 800 first. hahaha...and I also want to save up for the HE1000 soon, but on the bright side, raising that money would likely result in me having plenty of extra money to cover living expenses for awhile.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #5,074 of 6,112
YKYAA when your friends think you are lame for wearing earplugs at a concert because you would rather lose your hearing listening to your own rig.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #5,075 of 6,112

Case in point: YKYAAW you will be homeless if you don't come up with the money to pay for a new apartment by the end of the month...yet you're STILL getting the HD 800 first. hahaha...and I also want to save up for the HE1000 soon, but on the bright side, raising that money would likely result in me having plenty of extra money to cover living expenses for awhile.

decades of highly scientific research have resulted in following model....

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #5,076 of 6,112
YKYAAW you're disappointed in the quality of your digital copy of your Record Store Day single

*Sigh* Rise Against, I thought better of you... Giving me 160kbps mp3s and calling them "high quality"

YKYAAW you'll make your own vinyl rip (in full CD quality) of said single

YKYAAW the only bad thing about your Record Store Day cassette is that you can't rip it to your computer

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #5,077 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you're disappointed in the quality of your digital copy of your Record Store Day single

*Sigh* Rise Against, I thought better of you... Giving me 160kbps mp3s and calling them "high quality"

YKYAAW you'll make your own vinyl rip (in full CD quality) of said single

YKYAAW the only bad thing about your Record Store Day cassette is that you can't rip it to your computer

I archived quite a few of my cassettes to the computer, before getting rid of my tapes and player.

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #5,078 of 6,112
  I archived quite a few of my cassettes to the computer, before getting rid of my tapes and player.

What's the best way to do this? The only thing I have that plays cassettes has no line out, but I could probably find a cheaper one that does.

Apr 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #5,081 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you find out that ripping analog audio to digital in the best quality requires very expensive analog equipment. O_O

i think that this is the hardest thing to do. it is almost like recording the material, as analog material should have within every sound recorded [to some degree]

YKYAAW even though you know that vinyl rips are more accurate sometimes, you still do not listen to anything but redbook because vinyl rips have bad vinyl noises and distortions, like some clicks.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #5,082 of 6,112
  i think that this is the hardest thing to do. it is almost like recording the material, as analog material should have within every sound recorded [to some degree]

YKYAAW even though you know that vinyl rips are more accurate sometimes, you still do not listen to anything but redbook because vinyl rips have bad vinyl noises and distortions, like some clicks.

I actually have a thread about this topic: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760887/what-is-required-to-get-a-perfect-vinyl-rip

You use software to get rid of the vinyl noise.

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #5,083 of 6,112
  What's the best way to do this? The only thing I have that plays cassettes has no line out, but I could probably find a cheaper one that does.

The music I had on cassette was recorded from other media, so all I was archiving was radio broadcasts (mainly comedy) that I'd taped over the years. I connected a cassette Walkman's headphone output to the PC's 'line in' socket and recorded using Audacity. I fiddled with the volume on the Walkman 'til I had a decent level that wasn't too loud. Not the last word in fidelity, but decent enough, as the deck that had made the tapes was pretty cheap.

Nowadays, I have an ADC, so if I was doing it today, I'd connect the cassette deck's RCA's to the ADC and then record with Audacity via the USB input.

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #5,084 of 6,112
  The music I had on cassette was recorded from other media, so all I was archiving was radio broadcasts (mainly comedy) that I'd taped over the years. I connected a cassette Walkman's headphone output to the PC's 'line in' socket and recorded using Audacity. I fiddled with the volume on the Walkman 'til I had a decent level that wasn't too loud. Not the last word in fidelity, but decent enough, as the deck that had made the tapes was pretty cheap.

Nowadays, I have an ADC, so if I was doing it today, I'd connect the cassette deck's RCA's to the ADC and then record with Audacity via the USB input.

Do you think I could find a cheaper cassette player with a line out or and plug that into the line in on my computer? I really don't plan on converting many cassettes, I just have this one for the moment; if I could find a player for cheap at Goodwill with LO, would the SQ be okay?

Apr 19, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #5,085 of 6,112
  Do you think I could find a cheaper cassette player with a line out or and plug that into the line in on my computer? I really don't plan on converting many cassettes, I just have this one for the moment; if I could find a player for cheap at Goodwill with LO, would the SQ be okay?

If I recall, I just used a cable with 3.5 mm termination on both ends to connect a cassette player from its headphone output to the computer's microphone input and record. No idea how to get the best sound, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back