You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jan 28, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #4,126 of 6,112
The other day someone said to me that "CDs are going extinct". Which is partially true, because they're beginning to make cars without CD players and stuff. But that got me thinking... Will bands eventually stop making CDs?? That makes me sad because how will we get FLAC... In the Fratellis' most recent album, they only distributed CDs with their vinyl records. *But* on their website they have CD quality FLAC downloads (for purchase). I wonder if bands will start doing that (but having the physical CD is super cool though. With like the booklet and all that).

YKYAAW you're worried bands will stop making CDs and you don't get your 44.1 HZ FLAC.

I really hope not. And I don't think they will, at least not for 10+ years. I visit a wonderful CD store in NH called Bullmoose Music, which has a ton of CDs, all reasonably priced and there is a huge selection; there's always plenty of people there. The store isn't full obviously, but there are a good amount of people shopping there for CDs all the time. Though people my age seem to think that CDs are a thing of the past. I know very few people in my school who buy CDs, though some (who obviously like classic rock) buy records/have small record collections. For this reason, it's possible that vinyl and CDs will survive for a bit longer. Once people in my generation realize some of the benefits of CDs over vinyl (like being able to rip them to computers), they might switch to buying them. If this doesn't happen, I doubt many will buy CDs and eventually, they will go extinct.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #4,127 of 6,112
I really hope not. And I don't think they will, at least not for 10+ years. I visit a wonderful CD store in NH called Bullmoose Music, which has a ton of CDs, all reasonably priced and there is a huge selection; there's always plenty of people there. The store isn't full obviously, but there are a good amount of people shopping there for CDs all the time. Though people my age seem to think that CDs are a thing of the past. I know very few people in my school who buy CDs, though some (who obviously like classic rock) buy records/have small record collections. For this reason, it's possible that vinyl and CDs will survive for a bit longer. Once people in my generation realize some of the benefits of CDs over vinyl (like being able to rip them to computers), they might switch to buying them. If this doesn't happen, I doubt many will buy CDs and eventually, they will go extinct.

A lot of people at my school have/use vinyl. It's hilarious because they act like it's the greatest new thing, when it's been around for a really long time. I know one or two people that buy CDs, but not for FLAC or anything like that. Most people just buy compressed iTunes files, rather than buy/rip a CD (they're ripping them through iTunes into a compressed format so it would offer them no advantage anyways). I buy CDs for two reasons: 1. I hate Apple 2. CDs are in 44.1 HZ FLAC.

Most people just don't see a reason to buy CDs. However, Audiophiles and such are the people that really kept vinyl alive and are somewhat responsible for the vinyl comeback. Vinyl stayed alive all those years and maybe CDs will too.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #4,128 of 6,112
A lot of people at my school have/use vinyl. It's hilarious because they act like it's the greatest new thing, when it's been around for a really long time. I know one or two people that buy CDs, but not for FLAC or anything like that. Most people just buy compressed iTunes files, rather than buy/rip a CD (they're ripping them through iTunes into a compressed format so it would offer them no advantage anyways). I buy CDs for two reasons: 1. I hate Apple 2. CDs are in 44.1 HZ FLAC.

Most people just don't see a reason to buy CDs. However, Audiophiles and such are the people that really kept vinyl alive and are somewhat responsible for the vinyl comeback. Vinyl stayed alive all those years and maybe CDs will too.

I actually got into vinyl by accident; I was offered a free stereo system and some records, so I said, "Why not?" Vinyl was way cheaper than anything else, and I didn't have a CD player at the time; I'm pretty sure I wasn't interested in audio at the time either, so I didn't care about SQ. Now, I've got a nice-sized collection of LPs and CDs, and nicer equipment to play them on. It's a shame that people who buy vinyl now aren't getting the full potential out of them (I'm not, but I don't think my turntable is bad at all). I'm the only person I know who often listens to records, and though some people at my school own them, they'd prefer the easier, less-hassle way of listening to stuff on YouTube or from their low-quality mp3s. I agree that vinyl and CDs will stay alive for many more years, but I'm getting doubtful about more than 25 more years for vinyl and 40 more years for CDs. We'll all be old and deaf/dead by then anyways though 
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #4,129 of 6,112
I actually got into vinyl by accident; I was offered a free stereo system and some records, so I said, "Why not?" Vinyl was way cheaper than anything else, and I didn't have a CD player at the time; I'm pretty sure I wasn't interested in audio at the time either, so I didn't care about SQ. Now, I've got a nice-sized collection of LPs and CDs, and nicer equipment to play them on. It's a shame that people who buy vinyl now aren't getting the full potential out of them (I'm not, but I don't think my turntable is bad at all). I'm the only person I know who often listens to records, and though some people at my school own them, they'd prefer the easier, less-hassle way of listening to stuff on YouTube or from their low-quality mp3s. I agree that vinyl and CDs will stay alive for many more years, but I'm getting doubtful about more than 25 more years for vinyl and 40 more years for CDs. We'll all be old and deaf/dead by then anyways though :p

Yeah a lot of people have a few vinyl records, but they're using record players, not turntables. But they only own like 3 records. However I do have one friend who has a turntable and a amp/preamp and stuff, as well as a large collection of experimental post rock vinyl records. Except for that one guy people either own a few vinyl records for their record player, have sine iTunes files, and a lot of YouTube to MP3 files. People disgust me.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #4,131 of 6,112
Hey has anyone heard "Tyranny" by Julian Casablancas + the Voidz? I got the CD around when the album came out. I really enjoy this album, and was wondering if people with more... Educated/cultured? Tastes in music thought of it.

If you haven't heard it, and you're into noise rock type stuff (although the songwriting is fantastic, courtesy of Julian), you should definitely check it out. I'm usually not into noise rock, but I very much enjoy this album.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #4,132 of 6,112
YKYAAW you buy MGMTs new album, "MGMT" on CD for the FLAC/booklet, then can't wait for the Optimizer to download so you can have FLAC + the Optimizer for ultimate psychedelia trippiness. (I also got their other CDs today, if anyone else her is into MGMT... And I got "Torches" by Foster the people).

YKYAW you re-buy your entire library in CDs (over time, obviously) for FLAC (I only have 2 more to go!)

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #4,133 of 6,112
Hey has anyone heard "Tyranny" by Julian Casablancas + the Voidz? I got the CD around when the album came out. I really enjoy this album, and was wondering if people with more... Educated/cultured? Tastes in music thought of it.

If you haven't heard it, and you're into noise rock type stuff (although the songwriting is fantastic, courtesy of Julian), you should definitely check it out. I'm usually not into noise rock, but I very much enjoy this album.

I listen to pretty much everything. If you want to take noise rock to the next level, check out noisecore.

Today Is The Day is a good introduction, especially their In The Eyes Of God and Temple Of The Morning Star albums.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #4,137 of 6,112
YKYAAW you wish more audiophiles bombarded the Sound "Science" section with their impressions of DACs and amps sounding drastically different...since the people in that section always insist that DACs and amps (especially the ones they've never heard) sound the same no matter how high the cost. (It really ticks me off, honestly.)

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #4,138 of 6,112
  YKYAAW you wish more audiophiles bombarded the Sound "Science" section with their impressions of DACs and amps sounding drastically different...since the people in that section always insist that DACs and amps (especially the ones they've never heard) sound the same no matter how high the cost. (It really ticks me off, honestly.)

okay, so, for you, my firend, do they sound the same or not?...

for me every DAC was different, i could clearly hear x3 and x5 differences, and everything i tried. even amps sounded different, sometimes by little, but it was there.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #4,139 of 6,112
  okay, so, for you, my firend, do they sound the same or not?...

for me every DAC was different, i could clearly hear x3 and x5 differences, and everything i tried. even amps sounded different, sometimes by little, but it was there.

To me, they sound very different, yes, but I haven't compared desktop DACs to each other yet. I only intend on getting the $2,299 Schiit Yggdrasil as an upgrade to my Modi 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back