You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Nov 6, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3,031 of 6,112

It's up to you what you can afford in the future. Just gotta focus on ways to raise the money you need...if that's what you want, of course.

I'm a student right now, hoping to get into a good college and get a job doing software or OS development. That stuff's supposed to pay well (and it's fun/interesting too), so maybe some years down the line I will be able to afford those pricey systems! 

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #3,032 of 6,112
  I'm a student right now, hoping to get into a good college and get a job doing software or OS development. That stuff's supposed to pay well (and it's fun/interesting too), so maybe some years down the line I will be able to afford those pricey systems! 

That's cool.

What I did was take matters into my own hands by starting my own businesses...but I blew the money on things I didn't need and now I need to save up again to be able to afford high-end audio gear. My reason for mentioning this is because that way, it can be done in weeks or months instead of years, and you don't need to drop out of college, quit your job, etc. like I did.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #3,033 of 6,112
Well I cannot plan that far bcos the day I start working is around 10 years later. I still have not finished my IB Diploma Programme (which means I don't have to take O and A levels) and I'm still only 14 anyways.

But my parents are pretty supportive of me buying good gear as they know I play in an orchestra :D. (Next stop ATH-AD900X)

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #3,035 of 6,112
Well I cannot plan that far bcos the day I start working is around 10 years later. I still have not finished my IB Diploma Programme (which means I don't have to take O and A levels) and I'm still only 14 anyways.

But my parents are pretty supportive of me buying good gear as they know I play in an orchestra
biggrin.gif
. (Next stop ATH-AD900X)

Haha. Oh. I can't remember how old everyone is. Looks like you've got plenty of time to plan. And if you're ever interested in doing so, you could research how to start your own businesses, even as a teenager. Let me think here... Yeah, when I ran a music distro back in 2006, I was only 19, though it wasn't really a profitable venture. The Internet makes everything easier. That is, running a business online is usually much easier than starting a conventional brick-and-mortar shop. The only reason I'm mentioning all this is due to the much higher profit potential of taking matters into your own hands instead of relying only on being employed by someone else, and how that enables you to be able to afford audio gear more quickly.

YKYAAW you plan on starting at least one new business in order to fund your first five-figure audio system!

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #3,036 of 6,112

But my parents are pretty supportive of me buying good gear as they know I play in an orchestra :D. (Next stop ATH-AD900X)

A fellow IB student? Sweet.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #3,037 of 6,112

Haha. Oh. I can't remember how old everyone is. Looks like you've got plenty of time to plan. And if you're ever interested in doing so, you could research how to start your own businesses, even as a teenager. Let me think here... Yeah, when I ran a music distro back in 2006, I was only 19, though it wasn't really a profitable venture. The Internet makes everything easier. That is, running a business online is usually much easier than starting a conventional brick-and-mortar shop. The only reason I'm mentioning all this is due to the much higher profit potential of taking matters into your own hands instead of relying only on being employed by someone else, and how that enables you to be able to afford audio gear more quickly.

YKYAAW you plan on starting at least one new business in order to fund your first five-figure audio system!

Agreed, I managed to buy a Momentum On ear by just using the earnings from online art commissions^^

YKAAW when you already are planning what gear to but before you are anywhere close to getting the money to afford them.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3,038 of 6,112
YKYAAW you plan on taking your friends to the mall to convert them into audiophiles at the headphone store after a movie. If you see me the Pheasant Lane mall on Satuday say hi. I will have green IEMs that are Panasonic ($8 but so epic for so little. Testing out for a review on my YT channel), I wear glasses, and I'm Asian with short black hair. And I'm a guy.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #3,039 of 6,112
YKYAAW you plan on taking your friends to the mall to convert them into audiophiles at the headphone store after a movie. If you see me the Pheasant Lane mall on Satuday say hi. I will have green IEMs that are Panasonic ($8 but so epic for so little. Testing out for a review on my YT channel), I wear glasses, and I'm Asian with short black hair. And I'm a guy.

When did they get a headphone store in the Pheasant Lane Mall/where is it? I used to live up there (now CT) and still go back frequently. The Rockingham Mall in Salem, NH has a small headphone store (SoundLion?) where you can test ATH-M50s, V-Modas, Sennheisers, etc. I'd suggest checking it out, everyone there is friendly and they'll let you test out what they have for as long as you want.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #3,040 of 6,112
When did they get a headphone store in the Pheasant Lane Mall/where is it? I used to live up there (now CT) and still go back frequently. The Rockingham Mall in Salem, NH has a small headphone store (SoundLion?) where you can test ATH-M50s, V-Modas, Sennheisers, etc. I'd suggest checking it out, everyone there is friendly and they'll let you test out what they have for as long as you want.

It's SoundLion.
The only bad thing is they don't pair any of the headphones with amps!

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #3,041 of 6,112
It's SoundLion.
The only bad thing is they don't pair any of the headphones with amps!

Is it a full store there? The Salem mall only has a tiny place with a few headphones. I would like to see them add a few small portable amps (E11K or E6) so we could test those out too. I'll try to stop by there next time I'm up in NH.

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3,042 of 6,112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back