You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Nov 2, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #3,002 of 6,112
YKYAAW... You categorize amps and headphones for different purposes, portable amp and noise cancelling headphones for airline travel or mowing the lawn, as well as choice of SS or tube amps and headphones for differing genres of music.

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #3,004 of 6,112
YKYAAW you are about to switch to a different Internet service and, despite it being more than twice as cheap, you are saddened that you won't be able to load pages as quickly, potentially hindering your ability to research audio equipment.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #3,006 of 6,112
I still prefer to have two all around headphone. One open and the other close.

YKAAW when you take your open headphones outdoors anyways because they sound better than their closed counterpart.
(though they do sound more anaemic outdoors of course)

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #3,007 of 6,112
YKAAW when you take your open headphones outdoors anyways because they sound better than their closed counterpart.

I never dare to carry my AKG out of my doorstep. It's too huge. ._. In fact, my H6 share the similar sound signature as the AKG which is why I bought them. The AKG is still my favorite overall thought but I switch between my H6 and AKG often for idk what reason.

YKYAAW you have so many headphones that you can switch around without a valid reason :D

Nov 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3,008 of 6,112

I never dare to carry my AKG out of my doorstep. It's too huge. ._.

YKYAAW you plan on filming an outdoor documentary featuring the Abyss and a 120-pound monoblock amp, with ancient Egyptian-style servants carrying me and the gear around on a litter for dramatic effect. The focus of the documentary would naturally be on people's reactions.
tongue.gif

(Lame attempt, I know.)

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3,009 of 6,112
I still prefer to have two all around headphone. One open and the other close.

YKYAAW your headphones never leave your room.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #3,011 of 6,112
I think I might be audiophile and so I am reading/posting in this thread???

A few other things to note:

1) I love listening to drumkits and noting whether they were mixed for "crowd perspective" (i.e. assuming a right handed drummer, the hi-hat is mixed to the right channel, and all other kit components are panned accordingly) or "player perspective" (right hand drummer, hi-hat mixed to the left).  Personally I prefer "player perspective" mixed kits because it feel like me playing the kit!!  Although I will say it is rarer to hear kits mixed this way!!

2) I believe that valves have a "sound".  Maybe because I grew up on guitar amp philosophy!

3) I also believe in "crowd consensus".   Read 100 people say their opinion on something, and not everyone will agree, but a pattern will emerge.  This pattern might turn out to be the "truth".

Finally
4)  I like quotation marks, haha!

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #3,012 of 6,112
  I think I might be audiophile and so I am reading/posting in this thread???

A few other things to note:

1) I love listening to drumkits and noting whether they were mixed for "crowd perspective" (i.e. assuming a right handed drummer, the hi-hat is mixed to the right channel, and all other kit components are panned accordingly) or "player perspective" (right hand drummer, hi-hat mixed to the left).  Personally I prefer "player perspective" mixed kits because it feel like me playing the kit!!  Although I will say it is rarer to hear kits mixed this way!!

2) I believe that valves have a "sound".  Maybe because I grew up on guitar amp philosophy!

3) I also believe in "crowd consensus".   Read 100 people say their opinion on something, and not everyone will agree, but a pattern will emerge.  This pattern might turn out to be the "truth".

Finally
4)  I like quotation marks, haha!

Being an audiophile is nothing more than being interested in hifi audio gear; that's the literal definition. There are tons of people here who refuse to call themselves audiophiles, but you don't need to have good gear or be totally obsessed with audio. If you're interested in listening to good sound, you're an audiophile. Listening intently for certain things is something that many audiophiles do and may do more as they hear more from their gear. Just coming to this site shows that you may have an interest in audio gear, so it's possible you're an audiophile.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3,014 of 6,112
  Being an audiophile is nothing more than being interested in hifi audio gear; that's the literal definition. There are tons of people here who refuse to call themselves audiophiles, but you don't need to have good gear or be totally obsessed with audio. If you're interested in listening to good sound, you're an audiophile. Listening intently for certain things is something that many audiophiles do and may do more as they hear more from their gear. Just coming to this site shows that you may have an interest in audio gear, so it's possible you're an audiophile.

you know what annoys the purist in me, though?  when cheap gear sounds AMAZING.  I'm sure part of this is expectation - put me in front of $$$$'s worth of gear and I may "expect" to meet God.  But when I'm in an electronics store looking for, say, a rechargeable battery but my ears are caught by a nice sound, and then I notice it's coming from some cheap, artificially hyped speaker system, I am annoyed because my "pure" gear doesn't excite me so much!! meh.....

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #3,015 of 6,112
  you know what annoys the purist in me, though?  when cheap gear sounds AMAZING.  I'm sure part of this is expectation - put me in front of $$$$'s worth of gear and I may "expect" to meet God.  But when I'm in an electronics store looking for, say, a rechargeable battery but my ears are caught by a nice sound, and then I notice it's coming from some cheap, artificially hyped speaker system, I am annoyed because my "pure" gear doesn't excite me so much!! meh.....

I'm guessing it'll be about 10 minutes before HydrogenAudio quotes this post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back