Yes quality Headphones but vinyl?
Jul 8, 2021 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Elujans

New Head-Fier
Okay so I've had several high-quality headphones in my life probably not near what a lot of people up in here have but I've had Bose earbuds I bought in Korea where the tech was years ahead and several Grado 60s of the various four types and also 80s and I finally just got a pair of arguably my best headphones the Grado SR325x's.

Now with Apple finally allowing lossless audio or at least what they consider to be lossless with audio I've started to use them because I like my audio to be just the absolute top quality and I realize for some of the high-res lossless audio I'll need an external DAC which I already have one in mind but don't see the need to get it yet.

But the more I study vinyl the more I'm turned off by the whole idea it seems like a money pit like owning a boat you have to buy expensive records that I know people say it's a ritual taking them from the lining of the cartridge to the song you want to hear and that it colors the music in a classic way that you can't hear these days but to me that's not feasible and also probably about $10,000 a money at least that I don't want to spend. Plus every listen takes sound away from the record sadly. I have access to high quality music and great headphones so I understand it as a hobby but if you don't have the money and you go broke trying to get a record collection and good record gear does that make you not a hi-fi or audiophile?

When more 32 bit stuff is out I'll probably get an external DAC but I don't think it's quite there yet? I'm not sure what my Samsung A20 has for an internal DAC but I use it because it has the 3.5MM jack that Apple ditched so I just sideloaded the Apple Music beta that isn't available in the Play store anymore on the A20 so I can still get lossless audio and Dolby Atmos. Plus the Samsung plays Flacs and the Apple won't without conversion to ALAC.

So I think I'm good with this setup untill more hi res lossless becomes available or would getting a quality DAC improve sound now?

Thanks for reading.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 9
I'm fully in the camp of listening to what makes you happy. For me, that's digital sources only. I can understand the allure of records, but they're just not for me and I have no interest in setting up an analog rig. It doesn't have to be a money pit because you can get some incredible analog gear second hand if you shop around a bit, but your other comments make me think that cost isn't the only concern. Vinyl may not be for you - it's not for me either - and hey that's just fine.

I want to be able to pick a track, album, or playlist, hit play, and get straight into the music, so that means 100% digital. I've been using Apple Music since it came out because they have the best library for my tastes. There's no way I would be able to get most of what I listen to on vinyl, and the small selection I could just wouldn't be worth the extra work in my book.

So I think I'm good with this setup untill more hi res lossless becomes available or would getting a quality DAC improve sound now?

A portable DAC/amp could potentially make an improvement due to a better DAC, better amp, high resolution support for Apple Hi-Res Lossless, etc. Depending on how your headphones sound with your A20, you may be set already. Apple's Hi-Res Lossless is 24/192, so a 32 bit DAC doesn't need to be a requirement. You will want something that supports 24/192 to take advantage of their Lossless tier. Like you, I'm not sure if the A20 can output 24/192 and Google doesn't seem to want to give a quick answer, but you can grab one of the many portable DAC/amps that have come out recently and be sure you'll have Lossless going. Place a USB DAC/amp between your A20 and SE325x and you can ensure that you're getting the most from Apple Music.

Jul 8, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 9
I agree that vinyl sucks.

However they have moments when it’s so amazing and I love it.

As a result I do own a turntable rig but I don’t go crazy and my collection is relatively small.

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 9
9CF9FC90-9B61-437D-98FA-7B751E99E6CC.jpeg

I spend 30 years collecting vinyl. I still have a VPI Scout and Denon DL-103 needle.

I have sold off 99% of my collection but enjoy it still. There is a huge sector that non-vinyl folks will never grasp. Even if I take time to write about it here, it will be missed.

Vinyl is about having the original master (of 1950,60,70,80s records) and knowing that it sounds a certain way. At times new reissues can provide too. The chase is a big part of the game. Meaning once your really into vinyl it’s actually a total lifestyle. At the time I wasn’t married and vinyl was a 24 hour need. Record stores, garage sales, buying collections. You end up with all your friends being record collectors. Driving and looking for more, I spend years collecting and stockpiling the stuff. Also vinyl sounds great! But as you know nothing is 100% perfect!!

Most of Head-Fi is mental, so sound quality is not the main thing, but everyone thinks it is. There are lots of great sound signatures. You get used to a certain sound and your mind fills stuff in. I’ve spend the last 10 years getting digital to sound like vinyl. But for those who still are engulfed in the madness, my hats off to you.

Now days if I was collecting, I would look for whole collections.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 9
But the more I study vinyl the more I'm turned off by the whole idea it seems like a money pit like owning a boat you have to buy expensive records that I know people say it's a ritual taking them from the lining of the cartridge to the song you want to hear and that it colors the music in a classic way that you can't hear these days but to me that's not feasible and also probably about $10,000 a money at least that I don't want to spend. Plus every listen takes sound away from the record sadly. I have access to high quality music and great headphones so I understand it as a hobby but if you don't have the money and you go broke trying to get a record collection and good record gear does that make you not a hi-fi or audiophile?
I think different people enjoy vinyl for different reasons. Some people like the sound, some people like the ritual, some people like collecting and hunting first pressings, etc. You certainly don't need to spend anywhere close to $10k for it to be enjoyable. Though the saying from sailing applies to audiophile turntables, too: if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Personally, I like vinyl for the following reasons:
I enjoy going to record stores.
I like discovering things that I wouldn't discover otherwise.
I enjoy finding things that aren't available in other formats.
I like the physicality.
I like the smell.
I like how social it can be (with speakers).
I enjoy listening to an LP from beginning to end.
I like leafing through my albums when I'm unsure what I want to listen to.
I like the way it sounds, though admittedly that's mostly a nostalgia thing and nothing to do with "fidelity".
I like that it sounds like sitting next to a crackling fire.
I like that I can give and receive records as a gift.
I like that some guy around the corner was throwing out 200+ LPs and that I got 25 albums for free.
I like that it's kind of an occasion and that it's not always available like digital.

What I don't like:
That my CD setup costs about 1/7 the price and sounds better.
Having to jump up to flip the record.
The price of vinyl where I live.
That I can't listen to it on the go.

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 9
^Some interesting points from that list you wrote.

From my experience, vinyl (while has flaws) can be better than digital.

I have the vinyl version of Michael Jackson’s Off the Wall (1979). The vinyl version I have sounds 3D and easily blows away the CD version. It’s not even a subtle difference. It’s not even like comparing MP3 to 24 bit. The difference is even more substantial.

However, not every vinyl to CD comparison is like that.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Put simply, if you are only listening to new/recent music, there is little point to vinyl aside from either enjoying collecting the artifacts or the ritual. I personally like some of the new independent releases with the vibrant colors and artwork. RSD has made the practice overtly commercial, but at least it provides a way to support artists outside of concerts and t-shirts.

Outside of that, the quality, cost-effectiveness, and convenience of digital is going to outweigh the benefits in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back