Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread
Sep 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #76 of 218
...I preferred the L-Cush to the S-Cush...never tried the G-Cush...

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #77 of 218
For the headband, did you just use the headband off of this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HS64ANW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1SYQ1T6Z0GJJXRPF6K4R&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200422&pf_rd_i=507846

Does it provide good clamping force? I am working on a woody mod with a 225i with headphile c-pads but the grado band is not tight enough to seal the pads properly.

Beautiful cans, by the way. Very well done.

If you put some leather going up the inside of the G-Cush ear pads about an inch the bass will increase. 

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #78 of 218
Thanks for the tip!

The headphile C-pads ended up getting too boomy (on the SR-225i) once I made my mods (Vibro cup, 4-punch mod and placing a felt pad on the back of the driver). I tried adding sound-absorbing material to cut the unwanted resonances in the mahogany c-pad chamber, but it didn't make a very notable difference. 

Furthermore, I was growing frustrated with the treble attenuation on the c-pad. They are very neutral, but it just wasn't the sound I wanted. Overall, the combination made the 225i a bit bland and boomy. A bad combo for my personal taste.

I switched back to the L-cush and stuffed the inside with a spare piece of DT770 pad foam (essentially the "Shack Hack" mod). The sound and comfort are absolutely wonderful now. And with the L-cush, any and all seal issues are now a thing of the past.

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #80 of 218
  Just received the SennGrados in the mail today. My first impressions are that they are better then the stock SR-225s.

popcorn.gif

Which pad would go best with a Senngrado? I REALLY want to build one.

I tried the L- cush, TTVJ Flats, and earZonk L-cush.  It sounded good with all of them, but I prefered the Grado L-cush.

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #82 of 218
  Has anyone more news about the measurements Tyll was gonna do?

Good question.

The headphones were sent to Tyll but there was a problem with one of the drivers, it came out of it's housing. By the time we fixed the problem a month or so had passed and we decided to not send it back to Tyll but send to the next member. Joe want to send it back to tyll at the end of the tour.

This is what we got with one driver pointing south. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #83 of 218

Has anyone more news about the measurements Tyll was gonna do?

Good question.

The headphones were sent to Tyll but there was a problem with one of the drivers, it came out of it's housing. By the time we fixed the problem a month or so had passed and we decided to not send it back to Tyll but send to the next member. Joe want to send it back to tyll at the end of the tour.

This is what we got with one driver pointing south. 

Was the properly functioning driver the top line or the bottom line in the frequency response chart?

Same question about the square wave. (I'd specify color or left or right, but I can't really make it out in the photo.)

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #84 of 218

Was the properly functioning driver the top line or the bottom line in the frequency response chart?

Same question about the square wave. (I'd specify color or left or right, but I can't really make it out in the photo.)

When I got the headphones they weren't oriented properly on the headband, left driver was on the right side of the headphone.....so it's hard to answer your question.   

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #85 of 218
Managed to get all the pieces over the past month except the cups. A friend of mine who does pens is going to give it a shot for me.

I'm just curious if anyone has found any specific tonewood that work well with the Senngrado?
I know it varies depending on personal preference, but that's the kind of information I'm looking to gather. I already read the tonewood grado thread. I'm specifically wondering for the Senngrado.

Looks like I might end up turning myself in the near future, but I'd have to make some space in the garage which isn't too appealing ATM.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #86 of 218
Managed to get all the pieces over the past month except the cups. A friend of mine who does pens is going to give it a shot for me.

I'm just curious if anyone has found any specific tonewood that work well with the Senngrado?
I know it varies depending on personal preference, but that's the kind of information I'm looking to gather. I already read the tonewood grado thread. I'm specifically wondering for the Senngrado.

Looks like I might end up turning myself in the near future, but I'd have to make some space in the garage which isn't too appealing ATM.

I really had a thing for the harder woods for a while, but have since discovered Korina in aluminium sleeves. Mahogany and Paduak are the usual, cheaper, more reliable standbys. Cocobolo is rather nice too, and tends to be prettier. Its expensive though.

I feel your pain with regards to the garage. I cleared an area in mine and it was intense...especially given its Summer here right now, and blistering hot. Its worth it later though :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back