Woodied Sennheiser aka SennGrado Tour Thread
Jul 30, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #31 of 218
I kinda wish I had some electrical prowess, knowing me I'd find a way to shock myself even with the phones unplugged, so I should most likely not attempt to make these

Same.

I've recabled a couple of KSC75s but that's about as adventurous as I'm willing to get right now. Besides, I'm always too worried I'm going to burn myself with the soldering iron.

I am interested in how these sound though. I like Sennheiser's portable headphones and the HD 600 (never heard the PX 100 though) but I've always been wary of the Grado sound. I've never heard a Grado headphone before but I think, based on what I've read about their sound, I'd hate them with a passion. Gotta have my well mannered treble and lotsa bass.
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #32 of 218
My official joining of the thread! Can I just say how beautiful those headphones look on the front page?! Wow

Same.

I've recabled a couple of KSC75s but that's about as adventurous as I'm willing to get right now. Besides, I'm always too worried I'm going to burn myself with the soldering iron.

I am interested in how these sound though. I like Sennheiser's portable headphones and the HD 600 (never heard the PX 100 though) but I've always been wary of the Grado sound. I've never heard a Grado headphone before but I think, based on what I've read about their sound, I'd hate them with a passion. Gotta have my well mannered treble and lotsa bass.
tongue.gif

I'm excited to hear them! I got a pm and I should b on the List so yay

I'm always though a big Fan of Wood Back Franken phones 

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #33 of 218
Wow! This looks like a lot of fun!

I'm comfortable with the soldering, but how difficult is it to install the drivers properly?

Also, has anybody put together a tutorial on how to build these?

Finally, I like the look of the gs1000 cups, so I thought it would be cool to use these:
http://turbulentlabs.com/vibro-cups/

Any reason using these instead of the other cups would be a bad idea?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #34 of 218
https://www.etsy.com/shop/YewWoodworks

You could also pick up one of these. I haven't built any Grados or SennGrados, but from reading it looks like you need a fully liberated driver correct? If that's the case, one of the "full length" wood cups would be idea since it would require less plastic.

Please, correct me if I'm misread the assembly process.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #35 of 218
https://www.etsy.com/shop/YewWoodworks

You could also pick up one of these. I haven't built any Grados or SennGrados, but from reading it looks like you need a fully liberated driver correct? If that's the case, one of the "full length" wood cups would be idea since it would require less plastic.

Please, correct me if I'm misread the assembly process.

To build a pair of SennGrados ou need the following:

1 X pair of full-woody Grado-style cups (designed for a fully liberated driver)
1 X pair Sennheiser PX100 ii
1 X suitable headband (look for anything that looks like the Urban Ears Plattan's headband, you can also use the Sony MDR 7520 one, or a Grado headband)
1 X cable of your choice

You will also need a soldering iron, the ability to use it for rudimentary soldering/desoldering and a little time on your hands.

Liberate the Sennheiser drivers, mount them in the wooden cups, solder them to the cable and pop the cups into the headband...I know I am paraphrasing horribly here, but that's the gist of it. Its not nuclear physics
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #36 of 218

1 X suitable headband (look for anything that looks like the Urban Ears Plattan's headband, you can also use the Sony MDR 7520 one, or a Grado headband)
1 X cable of your choice

You will also need a soldering iron, the ability to use it for rudimentary soldering/desoldering and a little time on your hands.

Liberate the Sennheiser drivers, mount them in the wooden cups, solder them to the cable and pop the cups into the headband...I know I am paraphrasing horribly here, but that's the gist of it. Its not nuclear physics :D

Exactly what I interpreted, thanks for clarifying for the group!

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #37 of 218

1 X cable of your choice

Liberate the Sennheiser drivers, mount them in the wooden cups, solder them to the cable and pop the cups into the headband...I know I am paraphrasing horribly here, but that's the gist of it. Its not nuclear physics
biggrin.gif

While this list certainly is helpful, I believe Mangler's question was regarding the actual mounting of the drivers in the cups. 

Since not all Grado cups are created equal, you may need to add electrical tape, glue, weatherstriping,etc. to the circumference of the PX100-ii drivers in order to get it to fit snuggly inside the cups. 

I'm actually currently working on putting together my own pair of SennGrado's to see how they perform. Using the Turbulent Labs Vintage cups I've found that:

The PX100-ii driver circumference is a little bit smaller than the opening of the cups. I suspect you will need to add some weatherstriping to the driver for it to fit inside the cups. 

In addition, the PX100-ii driver is quite a bit thinner than the Grado driver, so there is an option to slightly recess the driver if you want. 

Anyways, just my findings having just started to source the parts to put this together. Feel free to comment since I know some people have found that the PX100-ii driver lip is "just" large enough to slip inside their cups.

PS: With regards to the headband, I know a lot of people have suggested the Urbanears/Auvio headband. My problem is that there is limited to no horizontal adjustment, so it is really hard to get the cups to sit flush to your ear. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #38 of 218
  While this list certainly is helpful, I believe Mangler's question was regarding the actual mounting of the drivers in the cups. 

Since not all Grado cups are created equal, you may need to add electrical tape, glue, weatherstriping,etc. to the circumference of the PX100-ii drivers in order to get it to fit snuggly inside the cups. 

I'm actually currently working on putting together my own pair of SennGrado's to see how they perform. Using the Turbulent Labs Vintage cups I've found that:

The PX100-ii driver circumference is a little bit smaller than the opening of the cups. I suspect you will need to add some weatherstriping to the driver for it to fit inside the cups. 

In addition, the PX100-ii driver is quite a bit thinner than the Grado driver, so there is an option to slightly recess the driver if you want. 

Anyways, just my findings having just started to source the parts to put this together. Feel free to comment since I know some people have found that the PX100-ii driver lip is "just" large enough to slip inside their cups.

PS: With regards to the headband, I know a lot of people have suggested the Urbanears/Auvio headband. My problem is that there is limited to no horizontal adjustment, so it is really hard to get the cups to sit flush to your ear. 

For weatherstripping, I use this stuff:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8694k112/=t4z8i3

Has been a godsend for all of my experimenting with Grados, Koss drivers, etc, etc...for a headband, this one is the best alternative aside from the Grado band:

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

My apologies....I mentioned the Sony MDR-7520 headband...that's the wrong one...the right one is the Sony MDR-7506...I have heard of a few folks using nail polish remover to get rid of the "Studio Monitor" writing across the top.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #39 of 218

For weatherstripping, I use this stuff:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8694k112/=t4z8i3

Has been a godsend for all of my experimenting with Grados, Koss drivers, etc, etc...for a headband, this one is the best alternative aside from the Grado band:

http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Sony-7506-Replacement-Headband-and-Cups.html

My apologies....I mentioned the Sony MDR-7520 headband...that's the wrong one...the right one is the Sony MDR-7506...I have heard of a few folks using nail polish remover to get rid of the "Studio Monitor" writing across the top.

Were you successful with this weatherstripping on the PX100-ii driver?

Whose cups did you use for your pair? 

That Sony headband works great, but requires a small modification for it to fit with most cups.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #40 of 218
  Were you successful with this weatherstripping on the PX100-ii driver?

Whose cups did you use for your pair? 

That Sony headband works great, but requires a small modification for it to fit with most cups.

I have not woodied a pair of Sennheiser PX100ii yet...my experiments have been confined to Koss KSC75, Sportapro and Grado Magnum Drivers. Almost all of the cups were made by a local gentleman I know, except for a pair of Cabillas GS1000 clones. I did have the tour pair of SennGrados for a week...delightful to say the least. Gave my Magnums a run for their money, and in some cases proved more enjoyable.

My next build is definitely going to center around PX100ii drivers.

I use the foam on all of my builds. Its marvelous stuff.

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #41 of 218

I have not woodied a pair of Sennheiser PX100ii yet...my experiments have been confined to Koss KSC75, Sportapro and Grado Magnum Drivers. Almost all of the cups were made by a local gentleman I know, except for a pair of Cabillas GS1000 clones. I did have the tour pair of SennGrados for a week...delightful to say the least. Gave my Magnums a run for their money, and in some cases proved more enjoyable.

My next build is definitely going to center around PX100ii drivers.

I use the foam on all of my builds. Its marvelous stuff.

Good luck with your build dude....It sounds like the SennGrado hybrids are amazing. 

I still need to put my pair together when I get the time...

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #42 of 218
  Good luck with your build dude....It sounds like the SennGrado hybrids are amazing. 

I still need to put my pair together when I get the time...

Judging by the tour pair, they are indeed a fantastic pair of cans...especially with the right cups and a decent cable...

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #43 of 218
I wonder how difficult it'd be to find someone in Austin that'd be capable and willing to put one together with compensation.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #44 of 218
7Keys got my red ceder cups on the way, headbands generously from JoeDoe, L-Cush pads en route, and giving my WTB classified ad for PX100 a couple of more days before buying new. Getting excited! Hopefully I'll have mine built before I get the tour so I can compare cup/build differences!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back