WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
May 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #393 of 2,601
Thanks Frank for the review.  I really want to keep my system simple and good sounding. The WA7 is next up on my list and I'll run it parallel with my Schiit stack. One will be my main and the other will move to the living room.  Looking forward to hearing it on my own.

May 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #394 of 2,601
Quote:
Thanks Frank for the review.  I really want to keep my system simple and good sounding. The WA7 is next up on my list and I'll run it parallel with my Schiit stack. One will be my main and the other will move to the living room.  Looking forward to hearing it on my own.

Thanks Mickey and look forward to you impressions with the WA7

May 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #399 of 2,601
Great review Frank!

The WA7 is my very first amp and I paired it up with the LCD2s. I came from using Grado SR80s and my PC onboard audio. I didn't know what to expect with my first listen on a high end system. I prepared myself by not setting my expectations too high but at the same time I was hoping to hear a night a day difference.

Excuse me if I don't use these hifi terms correctly.
tongue.gif
First difference I could hear was the bass. It was not muddy or completely lost in the background. I could finally hear the bass clearly. I could hear extension in the treble. The sound stage opened up a little. I'm so used to the in your face Grados that the LCDs I guess were mellow. I think that's what people mean when they say "dark"?

Honestly, I don't know I can justify these purchases because it was not a night and day difference to me. Perhaps its because my ears are untrained and I don't know what I should be looking out for? Most of the time I'm listening to music while working on my computer so I won't notice every detail unless I'm concentrating only on the music. From lurking around these forums, I've learned that sound is subjective from person to person. I wish sound was as blatant has computer graphics settings low, medium and high. But one thing for sure I can say is that I definitely like open headphones over closed. I've had a pair of high end gaming closed headphones before and I hate the way the sound echos.

May 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #403 of 2,601
Frank, I loved your review. What did you think of the synergy between the HD700 and the WA7?

May 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #404 of 2,601
Quote:
Frank, I loved your review. What did you think of the synergy between the HD700 and the WA7?

The Woo WA7  diid excellent with all the headphone I tried it with including the hd700 I have here for review.  The T90 was very special with the WA7.  Glad you liked the review.

May 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #405 of 2,601
Quote:
Honestly, I don't know I can justify these purchases because it was not a night and day difference to me. Perhaps its because my ears are untrained and I don't know what I should be looking out for? Most of the time I'm listening to music while working on my computer so I won't notice every detail unless I'm concentrating only on the music. From lurking around these forums, I've learned that sound is subjective from person to person. I wish sound was as blatant has computer graphics settings low, medium and high. But one thing for sure I can say is that I definitely like open headphones over closed. I've had a pair of high end gaming closed headphones before and I hate the way the sound echos.

Listen for a week or two then switch back to what you had before. That can sometimes be more dramatic. Another thing, which was one of my first experiences with higher-quality hi-fi than what I was used to is that the better clarity isn't a dramatic experience. If anything it can be an anti-climax. It's not the same as going from cheap IEMs to ones with great, thumping bass, which is very noticeable. Some people buy different or better headphones or gear for the greater thump in the bass, others (like myself) for clarity (and maybe a bit of an extra kick in the bass too sometimes). Better gear will not have any harshness that makes listening for long periods irritating, which some cheaper gear has. Good gear makes you stop thinking about the gear and notice the music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back