WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
May 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #361 of 2,601
Regarding USB by the way: The DAC is bus-powered, so rather than worrying about cables, consider one of the many high-quality USB power supplies instead (Aurorasound, iFi, Vaunix or others). That will make an unquestionable difference.

Because most computers don't have enough output to power the DAC? System noise shouldn't be a factor here.

May 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #362 of 2,601
Quote:
Because most computers don't have enough output to power the DAC? System noise shouldn't be a factor here.

It's not about the quantity but quality. PC power supplies are built for powering digital circuits which are quite tolerant of all sorts of distortions. Analog circuits require "clean" power to operate. Since the output stage of a DAC is analog, it will benefit from higher quality power supply.

May 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #364 of 2,601
It's not about the quantity but quality. PC power supplies are built for powering digital circuits which are quite tolerant of all sorts of distortions. Analog circuits require "clean" power to operate. Since the output stage of a DAC is analog, it will benefit from higher quality power supply.

Can you go into specifics? 'Higher quality' doesn't tell me much.

May 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #366 of 2,601
Quote:
I will be submitting my review this week and hopefully it will be published some time  early next week. I enjoyed my time with the WA7

Geez Frank - your one lucky guy - having the WA7 as well as the HDVD800 to review

With saying that - its probably quite a bit of work and responsibility to do these reviews properly !

May 15, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #367 of 2,601
Just got my set in today!  Amazing!

Quick question.  Are you guys using the ASIO4all driver for CMedia or ASIO4all v2?  When I use the Cmedia asio driver it starts crackling and stuttering.  Anybody else experience this?

Thanks,
H

May 15, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #369 of 2,601
May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #370 of 2,601
Quote:
@got2: look here for information to optimize windows for audio:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/optimizing-windows-for-daws.html

get the dpc tool from Thesycon and look to see what is hogging the processor during delayed procedure calls in the kernel. It is most likely a network or wireless communications driver. You might also try increasing the playback buffer size.

Thanks much Bob!  Will definitely give that a try.  I did already try and increase the buffer size to no avail.  I'm wondering though, does it make any difference in quality to use the generic ASIO driver vs the Cmedia specific one?

thanks again,
H

May 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #371 of 2,601
The WA7 is stunning with the Grado PS500! I love the way my RS1i sounds with this amp/dac, but it is off the charts with the PS500. I listened to a wide-ranging variety of music for several hours this morning and came away greatly impressed with this combo, by far the best I've heard these phones sound. The bass is extended and more defined, the whole presentation is improved. I've got about 12 hours on the WA7 and it only gets better. I'm an old school analog "vinyl is better" type guy-digital audio is not supposed to sound this good! The setup: iMac>alac files>WA7 usb input (low imp.)>PS500>nirvana! Three cheers for Woo...

beerchug.gif

May 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #374 of 2,601

Quote:
Quote:
Can you go into specifics? 'Higher quality' doesn't tell me much.

As linear as possible: no dips, no spikes, no ripples, no voltage drops under load.

Which is important because...?

Because noise from the USB power ultimately affects the output of the DAC itself. At the very worst, in my experience, you can actually hear noises from the computer with some USB-powered DACs. That is why more expensive DACs tend to be larger, because you are paying for a larger, better-built power supply with a cleaner output (as well as other things).

Some graphs of USB power noise at the Aqvox site: http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

May 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #375 of 2,601
Analog signal is constructed by modulating a reference level voltage, which is derived from the DC power supply. If the power level fluctuates, so will your reference level and consequently the signal will be affected.

Because noise from the USB power ultimately affects the output of the DAC itself. At the very worst, in my experience, you can actually hear noises from the computer with some USB-powered DACs. That is why more expensive DACs tend to be larger, because you are paying for a larger, better-built power supply with a cleaner output (as well as other things).

Some graphs of USB power noise at the Aqvox site: http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

Ooo. OK, now I get it. So how big of a problem is it with the WA7? Or is that determined more by the computer and if so short lot listening how can you tell if it will be an issue? I would rather know ill have to buy another device with the WA7 before I purchase if it comes to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back