Windows 7?
Nov 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #31 of 49
oh, for any of you on a network watch out that you're not sharing your WHOLE users folder by default.. that's one thing about Win7 that makes no sense, if you unshare users and try to share a single folder that's anywhere inside the "users" folder it'll end up sharing the whole thing again inexplicably. I ended up just avoiding the whole folder and creating my own "My Documents" folder, sticking it on another partition and putting shortcuts on the Desktop as well as start menu and removing anything to do with "users" folders. Now it's kind of like an XP setup, which didn't need changing at all IMO

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiddu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, for any of you on a network watch out that you're not sharing your WHOLE users folder by default..

This isn't a bad thing. I like accessing all my stuff from my other computers. Just turn on password protection and/or logging in to gain access.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried installing something like CCCP? Never had an issue with CCCP-installed codecs and WMP but I use Zune/VLC as my media players anyway.

You're just jealous and haven't actually used it yourself. It's like Vista with half of the operating system magically vanished with twice the functionality. And good luck getting all of the fabulous UI changes in Vista, like jump lists/taskbar/aero peek and libraries crush "My Documents, My Music" etc. with an iron fist.

Jealous,of an operating system,you need to get a grip on reality my friend.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jealous,of an operating system,you need to get a grip on reality my friend.

Why do you advocate Vista so much then? I assume that's what you're using, and it just sounds like you're trying to justify your decision not to upgrade. That's your choice, but you shouldn't go telling people "Windows 7 is a slightly tweaked Vista" because that is an outright lie.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

That's your choice, but you shouldn't go telling people "Windows 7 is a slightly tweaked Vista" because that is an outright lie.

It's more or less just a refined version of vista with a few code rewrites. That said it's probably worth the money. Still there is no reason to chose Vista over Win7 on a new computer like people did with XP.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKisho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's more or less just a refined version of vista with a few code rewrites. .

Thank you my friend,so nice to hear from others that actually know,instead of buying all the hype.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #38 of 49
I had every intention of waiting until Windows 7 SP1 before making the switch from Vista, but when my OS install suddenly began to corrupt due to HDD failure, I decided to take the plunge. Coming from Vista Home Premium 64-bit (now with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit) I can say it's very familiar. However, it's definitely streamlined. Using Win 7 feels "snappy" and responsive compared to Vista. It's less congested, easier to navigate and feels less hostile. Win 7 doesn't fight you like Vista does. I can definitely SEE Vista in Win 7, but ... it's like seeing that fat girl from high school, only now she's REALLY HOT.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #39 of 49
just a quesiotn about wondows 7...if it doesn't have the xp's kmixer, does it mean that there is no need to use asio or kernel streaming for bit perfect streaming? or did i get it all wrong.

and does foobar works with windows 7?

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #40 of 49
Foobar works perfectly. And not too sure in technical detail how ASIO or kernel streaming would work, but Vista/7 introduced a new audio subsystem called WASAPI that allows for bit-perfect playback.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a quesiotn about wondows 7...if it doesn't have the xp's kmixer, does it mean that there is no need to use asio or kernel streaming for bit perfect streaming? or did i get it all wrong.

and does foobar works with windows 7?

Call me stuck in my ways, but I still use both Foobar 2000 ASIO and ASIO4ALL plugins on an windows 7 install, because they still work, and I am used to them.

If someone can tell me that I dont need to do this anymore, then great!

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKisho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's more or less just a refined version of vista with a few code rewrites. That said it's probably worth the money. Still there is no reason to chose Vista over Win7 on a new computer like people did with XP.

It's much, much more than "just a few code rewrites," go ahead and check out the Windows 7 development blog if you want to see how in depth they went optimizing it. And a few code rewrites is a massive understatement for anything if you've never had experience programming something yourself; there's a reason it took them 2 years to get it out the door.

And Ford2, being "just a refined version of Vista" is significantly different from being a "slightly tweaked Vista." A slightly tweaked Vista would mean I would be chugging through 2GB of RAM and 5% idle CPU utilization with drivers issues out the arse, about 3x as many useless services as Windows 7 enabled by default, etc. Core UI changes as I previously stated like the new taskbar, libraries, aero peek, jump lists, and the laundry list of other Windows 7 additions that are above and beyond even the most extreme tweaks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiddu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, for any of you on a network watch out that you're not sharing your WHOLE users folder by default.. that's one thing about Win7 that makes no sense, if you unshare users and try to share a single folder that's anywhere inside the "users" folder it'll end up sharing the whole thing again inexplicably. I ended up just avoiding the whole folder and creating my own "My Documents" folder, sticking it on another partition and putting shortcuts on the Desktop as well as start menu and removing anything to do with "users" folders. Now it's kind of like an XP setup, which didn't need changing at all IMO

Huh? Windows 7 prompts you to create a password-protected homegroup upon installation and allows you to choose exactly what you want to share.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

It's much, much more than "just a few code rewrites," go ahead and check out the Windows 7 development blog if you want to see how in depth they went optimizing it. And a few code rewrites is a massive understatement for anything if you've never had experience programming something yourself; there's a reason it took them 2 years to get it out the door.

And Ford2, being "just a refined version of Vista" is significantly different from being a "slightly tweaked Vista." A slightly tweaked Vista would mean I would be chugging through 2GB of RAM and 5% idle CPU utilization with drivers issues out the arse, about 3x as many useless services as Windows 7 enabled by default, etc. Core UI changes as I previously stated like the new taskbar, libraries, aero peek, jump lists, and the laundry list of other Windows 7 additions that are above and beyond even the most extreme tweaks.

Huh? Windows 7 prompts you to create a password-protected homegroup upon installation and allows you to choose exactly what you want to share.

Yeah, except not everybody has win7 on every machine, so if you've got winXP or something on others then homegroup is useless. I dunno, I just like my shared folders on the network to be pretty clean and I don't do passwords.. Just as an example, I tried sharing a single folder inside "Documents" which is inside Users -> [my name] ->.. somewhere in there. I went to my XP machine and I could access Users, the folder which I unshared the minute I set up my network. If I try sharing any folder within the parent "Users" then the whole "Users" directory becomes shared again.

If it works for you guys then good, but I just wanted to say it in case someone else runs into the same situation as me and unwittingly shares all their important and private info. At the very least go to another machine and check just exactly what you have access to, you never know.. I know I'm not the only one, when I ran into the problem on my network I searched for an explanation and fix and I found many with exactly the same issue.

Nov 27, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On Windows 7 with foobar, should i get WASAPI/ASIO/KS ?

Pretty new to it all ><

WASAPI, for the sake of simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back