Windows 7?
Nov 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im i the only that really hates windows 7?

vista had faults but it was way less arsey abut things

like i still cant make wmp 12 play .m4a files no matter what i try

Is that your reason for hating W7?
tongue.gif

Get foobar and your problems will be solved.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that your reason for hating W7?
tongue.gif

Get foobar and your problems will be solved.

Or install a codec. That's like saying "I refuse to use OS X because iTunes can't play my .wmv files."

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can vista x32 switch to 7 x64 pro? Or does it have to be along same line.

You can go to win7 x64 pro but you'll have to clean install

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a stable tweaked vista ultimate,then there is nothing much to be gained by switching.
7 is designed for people who are on XP and were to scared to run vista,despite the markting hype 7 is just a slightly tweaked vista.

I strongly disagree. I've ran vista on many machines since the release. Sure, it has improved overtime and become a lot better then the original release but it's still has it's problems. I've always had a stable, really tweaked vista copy on all my computers. With that said even the default untweaked copy of Windows 7 blows my tweaked copies of vista on any computer 64-bit or 32-bit out of the water. It's fast overall, but what I really noticed was on my main machine. Vista 64-bit to win7 64-bit, I've received a noticeable bump in game performance (In all games). Even if you don't play games the extra time saved by the somewhat improved file transfer speeds alone is worth it IMHO. I've been using Windows 7 since the release of the public beta, and sure there was and occasionally still is some minor annoyances that make me wish it was done the same way as in vista but I think I've come to terms with almost all of these annoyances. I would compare it to Windows XP as well but I feel there is really no common ground now between a 8-9year old insecure operating system that runs really really well on any hardware now days and Win7. Sufficed to say I never really was a big fan of WinXP even though I used it time to time (I was a Mac switcher/flip-flop when I needed a really fast and cheap computer to replace my 2001 iMac, I replaced it with a vista box (early 2007)). I've used WinXP computers full time at school and on my netbook and still it seams more like a toy to me then anything else. The one or two things I liked about WinXP have been done better in Win7, now I have no reason to like or keep WinXP around. If you still want WinXP around get Win7 ultimate and use XP mode if your hardware is capable.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

foobar i dont like and ive installed every codec imaginable and for some reason unknown to me wmp 12 still refuses to play them

Have you tried installing something like CCCP? Never had an issue with CCCP-installed codecs and WMP but I use Zune/VLC as my media players anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a stable tweaked vista ultimate,then there is nothing much to be gained by switching.
7 is designed for people who are on XP and were to scared to run vista,despite the markting hype 7 is just a slightly tweaked vista.

You're just jealous and haven't actually used it yourself. It's like Vista with half of the operating system magically vanished with twice the functionality. And good luck getting all of the fabulous UI changes in Vista, like jump lists/taskbar/aero peek and libraries crush "My Documents, My Music" etc. with an iron fist.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried installing something like CCCP? Never had an issue with CCCP-installed codecs and WMP but I use Zune/VLC as my media players anyway.

yep have tried every codec i could think of and a few codec packs. other players will play them fine but wmp 12 just will not but i just love its interface for use day to day.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #28 of 49
I just switched from Vista to WIN7...some of the features of WIN7 aren't too bad, I'd prefer a window switching option like on MAC OS vs. the one they incorporated, but its an improvement on Vista. It really doesn't feel like a new OS, moreso an update with a prettier skin. You're really not losing a ton by not switching unless you're a gamer (which should perform better since there's less background crap) if you're using a fullsized computer. On a laptop, with inferior technology to that available on a home PC, I could see the improvement being more of a difference.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

foobar i dont like and ive installed every codec imaginable and for some reason unknown to me wmp 12 still refuses to play them

WMP 12 is using Media Foundation rather than DirectShow for some formats. Codec packs full of DirectShow filters and tools to tweak the merit of DirectShow filters are not going to have an effect in WMP 12 for those formats. I suspect that .m4a is one of those formats using Media Foundation. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that problem.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WMP 12 is using Media Foundation rather than DirectShow for some formats. Codec packs full of DirectShow filters and tools to tweak the merit of DirectShow filters are not going to have an effect in WMP 12 for those formats. I suspect that .m4a is one of those formats using Media Foundation. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that problem.

possible but 11 worked fine in vista, what is weirder is at first it just refused to play them giving an error. after throwing codecs at it it will claim to play but do nothing and produce no sound

does anyone else have this problem? alac files just not working on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back