Windows 7?
Nov 13, 2009 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Duperman

New Head-Fier
I've been out of touch with the computer news and forgot that windows 7's been out for a couple months now. ^^

Are there any benefits or drawbacks to upgrading? Audio-wise is there any sound difference =/ and have you guys had any driver issues or software that hasn't worked. Well I only use dbpoweramp and itunes but I think they've been given the okay flag. Overall it seems 7 has been received with a much warmer welcome than Vista based on reviews I just googled. I was going to stick with Vista but I have two other computer that are still on XP so I figure I might as well get a family pack, and things are probably more stable now.

Anyway I guess it's mostly to "futureproof" my comp in case future programs run into compatiblity issues with Vista. Oh and for those who switched did you do a clean install or upgrade? I.e. keep files or everything erased...My 100 gbs of audio that are the only important files to me, I guess the best option's to keep them on my ipod and then transfer back to computer?

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 49
I started a thread in reference to compatibility issues (have to update it)...I have tried a lot of peripherals, software etc.....all work great.
My Verizon usb hi-speed wireless modem was not compatible at first, but they have upgraded the driver, as well as the software and it works great now..

Nov 13, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 49
Yep works like a charm. Just installed it on my gf's computer. Recognized and installed her 5 year old scanner/printer in 15 seconds.

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 49
If there is an improvement in audio compared to Vista I'd expect it to be in the area of fewer audio glitches (pops and quick glitches) rather than actual sound quality. Windows 7 did some improvements to make things more responsive and better behaved in areas that could audio glitches. But I haven't seen any tests that demonstrate that. So consider it more of a theoretical benefit for now.

And get those 100gbs of audio files backed up to an external HD. Disconnect the HD and keep it in a safe place. Then you don't have to worry.

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 49
Been using it since before RC1, have had no issues with it. Best operating system Microsoft has made to date. There won't be any audible improvements in upgrading since you're already on Vista which has a rewritten audio framework from XP (XP had resample issues). I do clean installs all the time, every time. If you store your files on a separate partition from the operating system you don't have to wipe your entire drive every time you reinstall. The best option to deal with keeping your files would be to get an external hard drive to store them on, and then to restore them. A cheaper but more technically involved method would be to shrink your hard drive's single partition, create a new partition, and move all of the music to it.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 49
Yeah I think I'll make the switch on the weekend. Do you think it'd be a jerk move to buy an external hdd just to transfer files and then return it when I'm done?
smily_headphones1.gif
And nah I can't keep it, I dropped a hd 2-3 inches at most one time and all the files were corrupted, bad experience.

I'm sort of excited about this 7 business, people are saying it's ms's best OS yet? To be honest vista never turned out to be the nightmares people were hyping it up to be, maybe that's b/c by the time I got to it the drivers were all stable.

Nov 14, 2009 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 49
It depends on the hardware you got. I have a Creative Audigy SE at the moment and driver support sucks, it's so limited. However you can use dual boot ( Xp and 7 or Vista and 7) and test which satisfies your needs.
Good Luck!

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 49
Well, most people would probably run the same programs on windows 7 as vista & xp. And that would result in no changes in the program as far as they are compatible. So for most people switching to win7 gives you a faster, more user-friendly and hopefully a more stable & secure base to run your old apps on.

I will switch from Vista to 7 as soon as I get some money, I really like Vista but I still like 7 more. Just don't expect to much of a change between vista & 7. In my experience the difference is quite small, but there is still small things making it better and more fun to use.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 49
If you have a stable tweaked vista ultimate,then there is nothing much to be gained by switching.
7 is designed for people who are on XP and were to scared to run vista,despite the markting hype 7 is just a slightly tweaked vista.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 49
Yup pretty much my views ford2 with vista premium. I got vista in 2008 so I missed all the nightmares. Going to 7 wasn't that useful except snap saves me about 0.5 seconds for that pdf-msword pairing. Otherwise same same.

The one thing I was praying for was faster boot times. . .. . same same xD. Could be a second faster but . . . it's a second lol.

Nov 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #14 of 49
Switched to Windows 7 almost 3-4 months back when RC was out.Right now using Windows 7 Professional RTM.(7600 build).
Works like a charm :p atleast better than Vista and performance is as good as XP .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back