Will getting a better COAX improve sound ?
Sep 27, 2008 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

HeadLover

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi
I am considering buying the XLO limited edition digital line
What do you think of it?
Is it the best out there today?
And do you know of other "world class" high end digital cables ?

Thank you!

p.s.
I have edited this topic
I think it is also about I should use COAX or Optical, and is there a different between them and will spending much on a COAX improve sound quality ?

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 46
Digital cables wont really effect your system unless you are going over huge runs or are getting drop outs or interference. Digital cables transport 1's or 0's, so you can think of it as yes or no, unless the reciever is unable to tell whether it is a yes or a no, then all the yes or no's will sound the same over any cable.

Dave

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amm seem to be fine, but why not and trying to improve things up?

What transport and DAC are you connecting, and what digital cable do you use now?

Finally, what exact sound quality aren't you happy with and want to change?

And no, there really isn't such thing as "best" any cable, but with additional info, you can get much more useful advice and a better-sounding digital cable.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 46
amm
I am using my PC - and yes I prefer digital over optical - less jitter.
as for DAC - OMZ 4.2 (new one, not on their site yet)
And I am using a custome made one by Ori - the X-1 as a digital, and it sure sound nice, but I want to try others to
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digital cables wont really effect your system unless you are going over huge runs or are getting drop outs or interference. Digital cables transport 1's or 0's, so you can think of it as yes or no, unless the reciever is unable to tell whether it is a yes or a no, then all the yes or no's will sound the same over any cable.

Dave

That is 100% true, and every time I read about this topic, I keep on scratching my head about the logic of the human nature, but it seems that is part of the human nature to try to improve what is not improvable anyfurther, or at least ot at least to try...
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 46
Thx for concurring SovKiller, I too am curious of this nature =).

Headlover you said you prefer digital to optical because it has less jitter, and by digital im assuming USB. Optical is a digital signal, using blinks of light, (light = 1, no light = 0) to transmit data. As far as the jitter argument, technically you should experience less jitter with optical because it is not impacted by as many usb hub clocks.

Dave

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx for concurring SovKiller, I too am curious of this nature =).

Headlover you said you prefer digital to optical because it has less jitter, and by digital im assuming USB. Optical is a digital signal, using blinks of light, (light = 1, no light = 0) to transmit data. As far as the jitter argument, technically you should experience less jitter with optical because it is not impacted by as many usb hub clocks.

Dave

No.
You see with optical I need to do two conversion
One from the digital to optical and one from the optical to digital
It seem that fully digital is better.
and I didn't mean USB
I meant Coax.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is 100% true, and every time I read about this topic, I keep on scratching my head about the logic of the human nature, but it seems that is part of the human nature to try to improve what is not improvable anyfurther, or at least ot at least to try...
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Man, anytime I see something that's 100% true, I get irritated myself. Opinions differ, unless someone claims something is 100% I guess.
ramblings computer based audio

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 46
HeadLover,
I dont understand where you got that information. That would be the same as saying over coax you need to go from digital to electrical pulse then from pulse to digital. That is erroneous IMHO.

TubaMan,
I suppose you bring up a good point with the article, but I may bring up he wasnt doing double blind ABX tests of anykind so the results are invalidated and are qualitative nonetheless. As far as improvements I "suppose" there may be the slightest possiblity for USB to improve if and only if they find a way to remove the electric current from an electrical connection. I would concur and say that optical sounds better. I can also concur and say that optical cables vary in quality and can have audible results if the cable isn't reflecting correctly, the fibers are causing the bits to be transferred incorrectly (they are causing resistance on the light and causing some to go poof), or the lens isn't transfering properly. However, if an optical is working correctly, (no loss/resistance/ whatever it may be) there shouldn't be a difference, though in my experience there is.

Dave

Sep 27, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You see with optical I need to do two conversions. One from the digital to optical and one from the optical to digital.
It seem that fully digital is better.

The medium being optical and not electrical does not mean the signal is not digital. There is a medium conversion, but no data conversion: the link is still fully digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back