Will getting a better COAX improve sound ?
Sep 28, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #33 of 46
Harmonic Technology | Products | Digital Cables | Harmony Optical One

The first paragraph implies that EMI, RFI, as well as imperfections of inductance, capacitance and resistance in coaxial digital cable, can cause distortion.

I'm no EE, so could someone with knowledge answer if it's possible that the so often mentioned "dropouts" can happen so fast (1/1000 second or whatever, but happens here and there - often enough) that it isn't so obviously a "dropout" but affects sound quality in a more subtle way?

Here's an article on optical v. coax
http://6moons.com/audioreviews/toslink/toslink.html

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems like a good question.

From what I've gathered so far, optical will have to be converted to electrical anyway. So, generally people say coax is better because it's one less step. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sep 29, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've gathered so far, optical will have to be converted to electrical anyway. So, generally people say coax is better because it's one less step. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Amm
I am not sure about it
I mean on the ouput end, there is no problem
Maybe in the receiver input, it might be a problem
But, lets not forget the light there pass much faster.
not?

Jitter ?

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amm
I am using my PC - and yes I prefer digital over optical - less jitter.
as for DAC - OMZ 4.2 (new one, not on their site yet)
And I am using a custome made one by Ori - the X-1 as a digital, and it sure sound nice, but I want to try others to
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, What is the OMZ 4.2 that you keep talking about? What's different about it compared to the 4.1?

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #38 of 46
haa
in the OMZ 4.2, Ori have used better capacitors and a better of other things
I am not sure about every thing there, but I do know that Ori is very impressed with it!
I haven't heard the 4.1, so can't compare, but I do know that the 4.2 sound great
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #39 of 46
Hmmm...wonder if he's going to offer upgrades of existing 4.1's...

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...wonder if he's going to offer upgrades of existing 4.1's...

As much as I know Ori, he is a great guy!
I am sure he will do for you what ever you ask him, I have never had any issue with him, he is a truly great guy to talk about audio
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #41 of 46
I agree completely! The OMZ has been the best peice of equipment in my chain.

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely! The OMZ has been the best peice of equipment in my chain.

So, like Ori told me
He asked a guy who have the 4.1 to test the 4.2 and the guy really was "blown away" from the sound quality
I think you should give it a try
biggrin.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2
This "it's only 0's and 1's" argument is rubbish. In a computer, you have error correction to make sure that 0's and 1's aren't changed by electrical interference or other factors. In most systems (I don't know about very high-end digital gear) the equipment is translating the digital signal as it comes in, without any error correction. If those 0's and 1's have some kind of distortion, making them not perfectly off or on, possibly such as capacitance in an analogue cable, then your audio gear will reflect this.

How is one related to the other? The 1s and 0s argument is that unless there is EFI or the like, then a 0 from my 5 dollar cable will be the same 0 from a 200$ cable and the same for 1s.

What your speaking of is supporting the 1s and 0s argument as stated before: "Digital cables wont really effect your system unless you are going over huge runs or are getting drop outs or interference. Digital cables transport 1's or 0's, so you can think of it as yes or no, unless the reciever is unable to tell whether it is a yes or a no, then all the yes or no's will sound the same over any cable.".

As far as your optical cables, I too can attest to the different grades of optical cables, because the light was getting messed up and the signal changed. However, as stated before: "if an optical is working correctly, (no loss/resistance/ whatever it may be) there shouldn't be a difference [between any cables]".

Please dont flame me, instead read through the posts them maybe take a moment and reflect then read them again.

Dave

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #44 of 46
Hey guys,

I know someone will go after me on this one, but 1's and 0's can get messed up.

If you look at a distortion graph, there is only so much error correction that the computer can do. It is the same reason why scratched up discs do not sound as good as new ones. The error correction just CANNOT fix everything.

If you are running a short distance and have a properly working cable, it WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE. It is the same reasoning behind usb cables. A Cheap cable just does not work as well or as fast as a normal one. Same for ANY DIGITAL CABLE. Some people may experience "better sound" with a $150 digital cable versus a $25 one. People like to think that what they have is the best.... IMO - Get a nice and sturdy digital cable. Save the money for nicer analog IC's and a decent power cable (Hospital grade, etc.). I am not saying to go crazy on cables. Put 10-25% on cables depending on what you are doing in the future and the setup to get price/performance that matches the system. YMMV

If you disagree - then go ahead and say so. I have already relegated a portion of myself to being bashed.

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #45 of 46
Germania,

In most offboard DACs (exempt emu 0404) there is no error correction because there isnt 2 way communication via optical, coax, and usually not usb for audio.

There isn't an argument that 1s and 0s dont get messed up, there can be interference, dropout, flipped-bits (a 1 is read as a 0), etc,etc. but the idea for this excersise is that if a cable is working as it should, then between any cables, coax, optical or usb, a 1 will sound the same over any cable. There is no magnitude in a digital signal. It's either a 1 or a 0, so if there is interference there will either be gaps in the signal, the 1 will be read as a 0 or vice versa, or the signal remains the same.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back