WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Jun 28, 2022 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 787

Ufanco

500+ Head-Fier
Wiim is producing some interesting streamers so decided to start a thread on them. The Wiim mini and Wiim pro is available now. The retail cost of the Wiim mini is $85.00 on Amazon. The price on Wiim Pro is is $149.99. The Wiim remote that works with both streamers is $19.99. There is a Wiim pro plus that will include a better dac in the works that will be available later this year.
Wiim just released another product to their lineup. It’s not as audio related as there streamers but some might find it of interest, it’s a lighted wake up alarm clock that includes Amazon Alexia along with support for many music services. Available at Amazon for 129.00.

https://wiimhome.com/Overview.html

https://wiim.community.forum/

Available from Amazon

WiiM mini https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Mini-Multiroom-Preamplifier-Assistants/dp/B09HC5GRKY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=K74HW6RNJZFG&keywords=Wiim&qid=1675020800&sprefix=wiim,aps,73&sr=8-3

WiiM pro https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Pro-Chromecast-Multiroom-Compatible/dp/B0BJDY6D1W/ref=sr_1_4?crid=K74HW6RNJZFG&keywords=Wiim&qid=1675020800&sprefix=wiim,aps,73&sr=8-4

Wiim remote https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Remote-Streamer-Preset-Buttons/dp/B0BVVDCQ2V?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Wiim wake up light https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Wake-up...96-14970fb9259f&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

0F257C58-7FCE-48F8-A55C-FB843A39EFBC.jpeg
5B89F859-6958-46A2-8685-BEB3A866AEA8.png

Posted below is a picture of the WiiM Pro and Voice Control Remote (Compatible also with WiiM Mini)

WiiM Pro: Ethernet, Chromecast audio, voice remote and more audio interfaces.
SPDIF In/Out. Coax Out. LAN connection.

The hardware of WiiM Pro will be different from Mini. It has a quadcore CPU instead of dual core and 512MB DRAM/flash instead of 128MB DRAM/flash compared to the Mini. The application software will be same except for the support of Chromecast audio and additional interfaces. It’ll share the same code base and WiiM Home app as the Mini.

It has WiFi/Ethernet/BT, Optical in, line-in, 12v trigger; BT, line , optical, headphone and Coax output, but no USB audio nor USB storage.

WiiM also offers a BLE remote control with preset buttons that will work with both the WiiM Mini and the WiiM Pro.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/upcoming-wiim-pro-node-killer.1156171/
09B5DE3F-F552-4969-9FAD-F6FE21FC9721.png
42CF4B3C-9B13-4462-AB5B-C8112873C92E.png

WiiM features
  • SW
    Chromecast Audio
    AirPlay 2
    DLNA
    (Roon)
    MICless Amazon Alexa Voice Service (AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
    BT A2DP Source and Sink
    Linkplay streaming services and multiroom
    Spotify Connect/TIDAL Connect/Amazon Music cast
    HD Output 24-bit/192kHz
    Bit perfect output
    True gapless playback
    24 Preset EQs, 10-band graphic EQ and parametric EQ
    TI Audiophile DAC
    Frequent FW/App update
    Free mobile and PC App
  • HW interface
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, BT5.1, Ethernet (100M)
    Line In RCA
    Optical In
    Line out RCA
    Digital Coaxial Out
    Optical SPDIF Out
    USB Type-C power
    12v Trigger for AMP
    Mic for Multiroom audio auto-sync

• Button and LED
    Capacitive touch control: Play/Pause, Volume +, Volume -, 1 x Presets
    LED: BT/WiFi/Line-in modes

• Accessary
    Voice remote control, audio cables, audio adapter

Wiim wake up light

About this item​

• Wake up to a better day: WiiM Wake-up Light is an all-in-one device that combines a smart speaker, sunrise alarm clock, bedside reading light, and more features into one easy-to-use bedside companion. It is designed to help you sleep better and wake up feeling refreshed.
  • Control the device with the on-device buttons, the user-friendly WiiM Light App, or your voice via Alexa. Playing soothing audio, setting a music alarm, controlling the light colors or modes, or creating a personalized routine with music and light with one tap or your voice
  • Alexa Built-in Sunrise Alarm Clock: With Alexa built-in, the WiiM Wake-up Light brings much more to your bedside table than a standard alarm clock. Utilize your voice to set your favorite song as the alarm, control the light, check the weather, add reminders, receive traffic information, check your calendar, and much more. NOT SUPPORT - Alexa communication and the drop-in feature.
  • Personalized Routines for Your Lifestyle: Customize and automate your daily routines to start your day and wind down at night with the perfect combination of music and light. Calm your mind and achieve a restful night's sleep with a wide selection of soothing sounds and sunset simulations. Wake up in a more pleasant manner with the assistance of sunrise simulation, natural wake-up sounds, your favorite news radio, or music.
  • The Ultimate Sound Machine With Unlimited Sound Choices: Unlike most sound machines that offer only a limited selection of sleep noises and recorded relaxing sounds, the WiiM Wake-up Light provides unlimited of options. You can also stream unlimited relaxing sounds from your favorite music services, such as Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, Audible, iHeartRadio, and more, using the free WiiM Light App or Alexa.
IMG_0964.jpeg
IMG_0962.png
IMG_0963.png

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 787
Thanks for starting this thread. It’s a good value for money streamer.

Aug 14, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 787
Will also be curious to hear other opinions on this piece. Keeping hearing good things about it for the price. Recently saw it on sale on Amazon for $79

Here's a good recent review article (6/22) by Stereophile (below) and since then, Amazon Ultra HD casting from Amazon Music App, Two-way Bluetooth communication, 10-band graphic EQ (iOS), ATMOS playback for TIDAL Connect, Airplay 2, gapless on Qobuz and Amazon Ultra.......etc.; WiiM added bit-perfect 24/192 and gapless playback via its Toslink output. WiiM is soon be Roon ready and talk of also adding Qobuz Connect (according to Wiim). Something to keep an eye out for.

The company seems very active and responsive (in a positive way) to audiophiles request with many fixes and updates. Looks like a very useful hockey pick.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/wiim-mini-streaming-da-preamplifier

1660534057275.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 787
I use mine as a general purpose streamer around the house. It’s been used through an old Denon system in the bedroom, and is currently running into a Schiit Modi MB, Loki, Magni system. It works well, although the analogue output isn’t brilliant. Sounds much better through a decent external dac.

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 787
Thanks for starting this thread. It’s a good value for money streamers.

No problem and was surprised there hasn’t been more interest in Head-Fi about this device. For the cost, it's hard to find something that offers the feature this streamer does.

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 787
it's now Roon ready...
Where do you see this at? I couldn't find any mention of it being Roon ready. If that's true, i'll buy it right now.

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 787
Where do you see this at? I couldn't find any mention of it being Roon ready. If that's true, i'll buy it right now.
I may have misspoken. There was talk from WiiM in late spring that they were working hard on it to soon be Roon Ready, I thought it was added in the latest update (8-12) that was just released but instead appears it will be added later in '22. My bad and will correct above post. There also said to be working on making Wiim ready for Qobuz Connect as well.

Note from developer (Feb/22):
"We have a plan to enable Roon on this product later this year with an automatic software update. Please stay tuned.
Until then, re: Roon support - since WiiM Mini supports AirPlay 2, it should work with Roon as the endpoint."

If they can get both Roon Ready & Qobuz Connect working. Wiim will be on fire.

Latest firmware release notes below: Release date: 8 / 12 / 2022; This update involves the following:
  • New Feature - Amazon Ultra HD casting from Amazon Music App
  • New Feature - Two-way Bluetooth communication (Works with the latest app updated in a few days)
  • New Feature - 10-band graphic EQ (iOS)
  • New feature - New music service: Calm Radio
  • Improvement – Improve the Wi-Fi connection stability for the mesh network
  • Improvement - Bitrate display on app for TIDAL Connect
  • Fixed - Multiroom playback when Amazon Music UHD is turned on (when in group, only SD content is chosen to play)
  • Fixed – ATMOS playback for TIDAL Connect (select HD content instead)
  • Fixed - AUTO SYNC
  • Fixed – Rare random crash issues for the TIDAL Connect and Spotify Connect
  • Other performance improvements

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 787
surprised there hasn’t been more interest in Head-Fi about this device. For the cost, it's hard to find something that offers the feature this streamer does.
I'm surprised as well that there's been so little discussion here on Head-Fi but hopefully others can chime in, provide good info and evaluation/reviews about it.

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 787
Without Roon integration, I don't see how this is any better than using something like Chromecast that costs less? Especially when I'm guessing most will use this connected to an external DAC/AMP?

I will revisit once or if they enable Roon.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 787
I have a Chromcast Audio gathering dust. For my use, the Wiim is superior mainly due to gapless playback. Nothing spoils the likes of Dark Side of The Moon, or side 2 of Abbey Road more than gaps.
I know that’s not very technical, but I enjoy music with Wiim, and I don’t with Chromecast.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 787
I see many ifi stream on this site. ASR website is where you see discussion on wiim.
Last time I looked, there were two threads devoted to the iFi Zen Stream. That’s not exactly “many” is it?

Aug 27, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 787
@Ufanco

Thank you so much for starting this thread it is very much needed and welcome!

So for those interested my story of the Wiim mini started in April/May of this year due to talk of it in the Zen Stream thread. At that time I ordered one and said I would report back on it to the members of that thread. So as a brief refresher here we go.

After having it for a bit my opinion was that I would not review it because to me it sounded "harsh", meaning to me there seemed to be a slight boost somewhere in the 1.5-3.0K range, or perhaps dirty in that region would be a better way to describe it. I was then commented on by someone who preceded to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and "Wiim Mini had revealed the true sound of my equipment". I was extremely annoyed by this comment as clearly neither my studio system nor my personal listening devices are "harsh" by nature and on top of that this comment boiled down to my many pieces of gear were all now revealed to be crap by an 89-dollar streamer. Ugh...

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 8.59.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 8.58.11 AM.png

So, I recently reordered the Wiim, and wanted to post here in its proper place my thoughts on it, so thanks again for the Space to do so!

In my tests over the last few days, I am still hearing that "harshness", Perhaps glassy sound in that area, I was able to do a side-by-side A/B switching test with this setup...

Wiim Test.jpg

This was the only way I could be fair here, as The SMSL M500 "measures" very well and has dual optical inputs, so easily compared to the Pi2AES.

I also used a Linear 5v power supply on the Wiim as suggested by the other proponent. Thus Raising the overall price of "good/Bitperfect" sound to the 250 dollar range.

Where this stuck out to me the most is on Dire Straits - Money for Nothing 2022 remaster, Song #2 Down by the Waterline. If you guys could check the Wiim vs Anything else because what I hear is the guitar Center-Right being very shrill and not smooth. Actually please check out all of the songs in this vein as I believe this is an area that can highlight and identify what I am hearing from the Wiim, please chime on this as I am admittedly no expert but this is what I hear.

Back in June, I was pointed to the video by Hans B who also said he measured this "Boost" I had no previous knowledge of this video at the time, and also Amir at ASR did not detect this. I believe Hans got this from the Analog out of the Wiim. Even the member (which I am Ignoring) that started this shows in his post how this is audible. Here about Cymbals...

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 9.09.58 AM.png

So getting to the point, ..... yes I've got a chip.:sweat_smile:

The Wiim mini is an Absolute steal for the price! The Software to me is fantastic in its incorporation of many many music services. The basic core functions of the Unit work flawlessly in my home, and I echo @Mike Foley assessment 100%!! The Wiim mini has a place at the table of Affordable knock it out-of-the-park streaming solutions, Especially with its inclusion of Amazon HD.

The downside for me is I hear that area of annoyance which for me Takes it out of any Truly meaningful listening area in my world. I believe I will find a place for it in my home, perhaps at my Bar where I think it will work well, with a tablet to pass around for guests!

I do hope they continue to grow and look forward to the advancements they make.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts, and as always...

Cheers!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 9.09.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 9.09.58 AM.png
    412.5 KB · Views: 0
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 27, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #15 of 787
With regards to the harshness you are hearing, it’s more likely that your system is highlighting inadequacies in the Wiim, rather than the Wiim exposing any flaws in your system.
I’m running mine through a basic Schiit Modi/Magni set up, and it doesn’t sound harsh, to my ears. I’ve given it a blast through my quite revealing speaker system, and it’s a bit rough sounding, in comparison to my usual Node 2i.
I’m not having a go at the Wiim, as it’s great value, but it doesn’t sound as good as other, admittedly more expensive, streamers I’ve tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back